adjust snapshot dimesions

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
ineedhelp09
New Cone
New Cone

adjust snapshot dimesions

Postby ineedhelp09 » 03 Jan 2012 08:44

is there a way to adjust the snapshot demisions? they come in as fixed size.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: adjust snapshot dimesions

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 03 Jan 2012 11:14

Yes, in preferences, advanced.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

ineedhelp09
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ineedhelp09 » 04 Jan 2012 02:05

i tried it, didn't work. i played around with the snapshot height/width, didn't see any difference in snapshot size. didn't seem to matter whether it was -3 or 3.

i read elsewhere that it can't be done. if it can be done, can you give specific directions?

clemenzina
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.4
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Postby clemenzina » 07 Jan 2012 05:31

I have this problem as well, as does an online friend - we record an mms stream and take snapshots during recording. I have tried altering the video width/height and window width/height but haven't got a satisfactory result - indeed, when I selected (I think) +3 instead of -1 the snapshot came out the size of a dot :?

These are my present settings. Video width/height and window width/height have been reset to defaults.

At one stage I accidentally altered video x and y coordinates and am not sure what the defaults were, I'd be grateful if someone could confirm they're OK - I don't want to "reset preferences" because presumably I'd lose my other settings which are fine as they now are.

I'd be very grateful for precise instructions on how to increase the size of VLC snapshots.

clemenzina

clemenzina
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby clemenzina » 07 Jan 2012 07:31

I found this reply from a member over 18 months ago, but unfortunately they don't say where they "entered" their resolution:

Well I figured it out on my own, it had thrown me off that the initial values were -1 for the width and height, so I was assuming the dimensions were going by some sort of ratio. I decided to enter what should be the resolution/pixel values for my monitor (mine is 1280x800) and now I have decent sized snapshots. Also choosing png instead of jpg does give a noticeably sharper snapshot.

ineedhelp09
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ineedhelp09 » 08 Jan 2012 08:30

maybe if enough users raise this issue, they put in this feature that works in the next update hopefully.

clemenzina
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby clemenzina » 11 Jan 2012 11:27

I count as at least 10 users :D I'm enquiring on behalf of loads of us who record the same wildlife cam.

They say that the snapshot cannot be any bigger than source, however video playback of the same source is bigger - so I don't understand :? (There's a lot I don't understand, admittedly ;) )

razzell2
New Cone
New Cone

Postby razzell2 » 11 Oct 2014 17:25

Using the screenshot above, and using the quote from clemenzia's post:
("Well I figured it out on my own, it had thrown me off that the initial values were -1 for the width and height, so I was assuming the dimensions were going by some sort of ratio. I decided to enter what should be the resolution/pixel values for my monitor (mine is 1280x800) and now I have decent sized snapshots"),

This is what I did to get my screen snapshots to a larger size and I assume this is what the commentor did as well...

In tools/preferences/advanced/video/snapshot
video snapshot width
video snapshot height

video width was -1, changed to 1440
video height was -1, changed to 900

This is the resolution size of my monitor. I would imagine you could change this to any resolution you desire... 800x600, 1200x800, etc.

In any case, after saving these settings I now have large snapshots. I also changed the format to jpg, but it is correct that the default format, png, is a sharper, clearer image.

Hope this helps anyone who wants to change their VLC snapshots to a decent size image instead of the small, default size.

Peace.
razz

Kops
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kops » 22 Sep 2018 21:40

Using the quote from clemenzia's post:
("Well I figured it out on my own, it had thrown me off that the initial values were -1 for the width and height, so I was assuming the dimensions were going by some sort of ratio. I decided to enter what should be the resolution/pixel values for my monitor (mine is 1280x800) and now I have decent sized snapshots"),
This is what I did to get a bigger snapshot:
Using my VIDEO frame width & frame height which is 720 x 480 (NOT the resolution/pixel values of my computer monitor) I doubled it to 1440 x 960. Then in VLC I changed the values of the video snapshot width & video snapshot height to 1440 & 960 respectively and it doubled the size of my snapshot. If you want it 3 times bigger, multiply 720 & 480 by 3, make changes accordingly in VLC and this should further increase the size your snapshot. Hope this will help everyone looking for a solution to this problem.
Cheers!

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”