How Do I Set My IceCast Directory To View All Stations

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

How Do I Set My IceCast Directory To View All Stations

Postby Aspersimgamer » 13 Nov 2021 17:13

I scoured the internet for this answer but got nothing I am using the newest version of VLC for both my stream and what I want to listen on, but I can't find my stream anywhere

Every time I load VLC ICECAST DIRECTORY I get a vary small random list of stations, I tried 30 searches on google and found only something that is requires a webmaster to know how to do, I am pissed.

Story goes I was introduced to VLC through my Castanova results I had over 1000 listeners in 4 days because I was always listed, now I can't even find a full list of the ICECAST stations I use Windows 10, People can find me somehow but I can't find myself, every time I load VLC I get a different set of stations I wish it was not so complicated to just see all of them at on one list instead of a limited number each time it loads and a different set of stations each and every time I do start up VLC.

this is not funny, even if I were trying to find a specific station I can't because the results are different every single time, it's a randomly selected playlist I am currently streaming under "The Angel Classic Rock Mix" I was somehow automatically placed into the VLC directory when I set my stream to always list in directory, I might be in VLC buried somewhere, but I can't find myself much less listen to any same station at a VLC session please help, sorry if this problem is listed somewhere else, but I ran 20 or 30 google searches typing in this matter with no results
MY RADIO STATION: with NO commercials (go to link to download then run with VLC on any device)
http://nap.casthost.net:2199/tunein/justinangelradio-stream.pls

Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: How Do I Set My IceCast Directory To View All Stations

Postby Aspersimgamer » 14 Nov 2021 08:10

I guess either nobody cares or I'm the only one, having this issue, why the hell can't I view all broadcasts I want to know why? Is is a virus, a setting? something I can do? or is this how VLC works? I'll tell you it's a stupid feature and I would like to know how to fix it.

I get a random 20 or so stations every time I load VLC that is all I get, it's random, I want to select the station I want to listen to but every single time I load VLC I get a new random selection of only 20 broadcasts WTF

and I STILL only get 20 random stations, what am I doing wrong? I use the default settings?
MY RADIO STATION: with NO commercials (go to link to download then run with VLC on any device)

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 14 Nov 2021 10:52

what am I doing wrong?

You didn't use this forum search feature:
https://forum.videolan.org/search.php?keywords=icecast

The first result, apart from your post, is this one:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 96#p522196

Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Aspersimgamer » 14 Nov 2021 15:19

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 29#p512529

This topic above requires me to reprogram something I don't even know what or where to insert the code it does not tell me this is the topic I was referring to that requires a webmaster, now what do I need to reprogram? because this is dumb

the icecast.luac file

this is the code :roll: if I change that than my Icecast button disappears completely

LuaQ z @/home/jenkins/workspace/vlc-release/windows/vlc-release-win32-x64/extras/package/win32/../../../share/lua/sd/icecast.lua $ @ $@ € $€ À $À € lazily_loaded
lazy_load descriptor dropnil main @ € @ A€ @ € € lazily_loaded require
simplexml !
@ @@€ € title Icecast Radio Directory ! # % @ € €A@ ^ € € $ $ $ $ $ $ % s ' C s @€ @ €@ AÀ € E †@A \ @€…A †AÀ€œA †ÁÁ†B†AB†AA†ABW€BÀ €WÀB@ € C €ÆÁÁÆAÃÆAÂÆAÁ†AÂŁ ÆÁà A ܁€Ú €Å ÆAÄ A‚ ܁€€€Å ÆÁÄ A B ܁ €€Å ÆÁÅÆÆ
‚ FÂÁFBÃFBÂFBÁFB B‚Œ ‚E †ÂÁ†ÂF†BB†BA†BB\‚ B‚E †ÂÁ†‚G†BB†BA†BB\‚ B‚ŽFÂÁFBÃFBÂFBÁFBÂ… ÆÂÁÆÂÆBÂÆBÁÆBÂœ‚ U‚‚ B‚J I‚ȐIÉ‘… ÆÂÁÆ‚ÉÆBÂÆBÁÆBÂœ‚ I‚‚’… ÆÂÁÆÊÆBÂÆBÁÆBÂœ‚ I‚‚“ BÜA a€ Àå € )
lazy_load
simplexml
parse_url http://dir.xiph.org/yp.xml ipairs children add_name_maps
children_map server_name ð? Unspecified name listen_url string find radionomy.com match ([^/]+)$ gsub - vlc sd add_item path title genre dropnil nowplaying
current_song uiddata meta Listing Source
dir.xiph.org
Listing Type radio Icecast Bitrate bitrate Icecast Server Type server_type s ( ( ) ) ) ) * * * * + + + + , , , , , - - - - - - / / / / / 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 7 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 : : : : ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; < = > ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ A 6 * A C tree r (for generator) r (for state) r (for control) r _
p station
p
station_name p ! % # C ' C

I don't know how to read this I am NOT a programmer

plus not too many people even know how to open up a file in notepad to find this less alone automatically know how to create and edit a text file like this so why do I need to reprogram this file?

I had to go through a3 semester webmaster coarse to even know how to obtain this information come on now give us a break not everyone knows how to even get to the editing portion of this code but I do. So you can't call me a stupid idiot like you just did

Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Aspersimgamer » 14 Nov 2021 19:09

In order to not to get a randomly selected ICECAST directory I NEED to reprogram the icecast.luac file, since creating a new program/file with the code provided in the link above has a blank list, can someone please give me the code or a new luac file that overrides VLC and tells VLC to give me the Complete list with entire ICECAST directory included in it,

because I only know how to edit and replace code not generate it from the ground up, I could imagine it would take years to know how to program with those odd characters from the ground up. I used to design web pages from the ground up and That in itself is quite complicated html coding is just basic English not computer language. I don't even know how to produce those characters with my keyboard. but I guess it's some kind of advance calculator type thing I do know that much but. I need to open up a calculator app and get those strange hieroglyphics off that I guess.

I need to reprogram that file or I'll never be able to get the FULL list, problems is? I don't know how markup that code character by character I don't know what to do.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 14 Nov 2021 20:18

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 29#p512529

This topic above requires me to reprogram something I don't even know what or where to insert the code it does not tell me this is the topic I was referring to that requires a webmaster, now what do I need to reprogram? because this is dumb

It's a good script. Here's a before and after screenshot of the Icecast directory. You can tell by the size of the scrollbar what a difference the script makes.

BEFORE
(click to enlarge)

AFTER
(click to enlarge)

However, I can understand that a layman would view it with some trepidation so I'll explain what you have to do in layman's terms.

First of all and as a precaution it's advisable to make a copy of the existing icecast.luac file which is located at C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\sd. You can copy / paste that into the Windows Run command (hit Windows key + R to open) and it will take you to the above mentioned location. From there, right click the existing icecast.luac file and choose Copy from the menu. Then open your favorite Documents folder and paste it in there.

Next step.
  1. Go to the following location on the forum where the code to create a new icecast.luac file is located: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?p=512529#
  2. The Select All link doesn't work for some reason or other so place the cursor before the first dash of starting point of the code and click once. Nothing will happen on screen when you do that, but that's intentional.
  3. Now scroll down to the bottom of the code, hold down SHIFT while you click the the last letter of the word end at the bottom. This will highlight everything in between.
  4. Next, right click anywhere in the highlighted area a click Copy. This will copy the code to the Windows Clipboard.
  5. Open Notepad next and then right click and click Paste.
  6. Next, click File ---> Save As and where it reads "File Name", type icecast.luac
  7. Immediately underneath that change "Text documents (txt)" to All Files via the dropdown menu. I've included a screenshot of what it should look like for clarity.
  8. The file needs to go to the same location where you created the copy from at C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\sd, but you might find it easier to save it to your Documents folder first and then move it to that location afterwards. But I'll leave that up to you. In any event, you want to overwrite the existing icecast.luac with the new script you just created.
You'll get a prompt from Windows that you need to be an Administrator to overwrite the file. If you don't have Administrative privileges yet follow the tutorial on this site to change that: https://appuals.com/make-user-account-a ... indows-10/

Here's the image of how to use Save As / All files which I mentioned above.

(click to enlarge)

Any questions, anything you're not sure about please don't hesitate to ask. ;)

Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Aspersimgamer » 14 Nov 2021 20:58

HOW TO FIX THIS BUG :)

thank you for others to know how to do this I'll post instruction here.

all you need to do is right click on your desktop, click new, text document and than go on this page here and click and drag this code "copy all of the bold text from --[[ till the 3rd end word"

code done by jpl-20 » 28 Dec 2020 22:13

--[[
$Id$

Copyright © 2010 VideoLAN and AUTHORS

Authors: Fabio Ritrovato <sephiroth87 at videolan dot org>

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston MA 02110-1301, USA.

JPL/2020/12/29: Fixed parsing issue: do not add stations where "listen_url" item is empty

--]]

lazily_loaded = false

function lazy_load()
if lazily_loaded then return nil end
require "simplexml"
lazily_loaded = true
end

function descriptor()
return { title="Icecast Radio Directory-JPL fix" }
end

function dropnil(s)
if s == nil then return "" else return s end
end

function main()
lazy_load()
local tree = simplexml.parse_url("http://dir.xiph.org/yp.xml")
for _, station in ipairs( tree.children ) do
simplexml.add_name_maps( station )
local station_name = station.children_map["server_name"][1].children[1]
local station_url = station.children_map["listen_url"][1].children[1]
if station_url ~= nil
then
if station_name == "Unspecified name" or station_name == "" or station_name == nil
then
station_name = station.children_map["listen_url"][1].children[1]
if string.find( station_name, "radionomy.com" )
then
station_name = string.match( station_name, "([^/]+)$")
station_name = string.gsub( station_name, "-", " " )
end
end
vlc.sd.add_item( {path=station.children_map["listen_url"][1].children[1],
title=station_name,
genre=dropnil(station.children_map["genre"][1].children[1]),
nowplaying=dropnil(station.children_map["current_song"][1].children[1]),
uiddata=station.children_map["listen_url"][1].children[1]
.. dropnil(station.children_map["server_name"][1].children[1]),
meta={
["Listing Source"]="dir.xiph.org",
["Listing Type"]="radio",
["Icecast Bitrate"]=dropnil(station.children_map["bitrate"][1].children[1]),
["Icecast Server Type"]=dropnil(station.children_map["server_type"][1].children[1])
}} )
end
end
end

and click paste that code into the text document than save it as Icecast.luac and then right click on the file again click cut and paste it into Program Files

C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\sd then your done,

In my opinion this should have been the default file to begin with when I installed it

you may need to go into folder options by typing in "folder options" in the WIN 10 search bar below or goto "Control Panel if using another windows OS, then go under "view tab" in your windows 10 OS and de-checkmark off "hide extensions for known file types checkmark" and go back and and rename the file to Icecast.luac by erasing the .txt on the end of the file name though :-|
Last edited by Aspersimgamer on 15 Nov 2021 01:00, edited 5 times in total.

Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Aspersimgamer » 14 Nov 2021 21:16

Thanks again @Hitchhiker :)

if your curious I broadcast music without any commercials on so find me on

"The Angel Classic Rock Mix"

I play Classic Rock, Metal Pop Country Rock and Blues R&B on my station it's commercial free and thanks again for the help

If I was admin I'd add this topic to "stick on this forum, because the default file sucks, bad :-|

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 15 Nov 2021 17:58

Respectfully Aspersimgamer, but I don't think you should be advising users how to use a script when you've already stated you don't know anything about using them, or where to place one. You've already stated as much in your OP.

In any event, you've omitted an important step which is to save scripts as All Files. This is because LUA is a scripting language and any files saved as a normal text file i.e. with a txt entension can cause other applications based on the lua language not to function anymore.

Also, you haven't credited the scriptwriter for the work as I have done i.e. by linking to the post where the script can be found, or by mentioning them by name.

Similarly, I see no purpose in posting the script again since it's already clearly visible in the link I posted.

Last but not least, coding should always be encased in a Code field and not written in a message box as you have done.

ePirat
Developer
Developer
Operating System: macOS

Postby ePirat » 15 Nov 2021 20:46

Next time please open a bug report for this in our bug tracker, so we can fix this for the next release.

Edit: Actually there is a rather old ticket about this that somehow fell though the cracks, https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues/25309

Will try to get a fix in for the upcoming 3.0.17 release, thanks!

Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Aspersimgamer » 16 Nov 2021 11:28

Next time please open a bug report for this in our bug tracker, so we can fix this for the next release.

Edit: Actually there is a rather old ticket about this that somehow fell though the cracks, https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues/25309

Will try to get a fix in for the upcoming 3.0.17 release, thanks!

I was not sure if this was actually a bug or not, since I don't know anything about how VLC is programed? or perhaps if there was a setting that needed adjustment that I was not seeing. I am glad this is fixed though, maybe there was some copyright issues so VLC had to limit the ICECAST directory to only show certain stations I didn't know :roll:

but the random selection each and every time VLC started was ridiculous :?

Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Aspersimgamer » 16 Nov 2021 11:39

Respectfully Aspersimgamer, but I don't think you should be advising users how to use a script when you've already stated you don't know anything about using them, or where to place one. You've already stated as much in your OP.

In any event, you've omitted an important step which is to save scripts as All Files. This is because LUA is a scripting language and any files saved as a normal text file i.e. with a txt entension can cause other applications based on the lua language not to function anymore.

Also, you haven't credited the scriptwriter for the work as I have done i.e. by linking to the post where the script can be found, or by mentioning them by name.

Similarly, I see no purpose in posting the script again since it's already clearly visible in the link I posted.

Last but not least, coding should always be encased in a Code field and not written in a message box as you have done.
On my own windows OS all files with a specific extension read the same I didn't think I had to mention to save scripts as all files, since I didn't even know that was an option, I use Windows 10 default settings, only with "hide extensions for known file types dechecked to enable me to change file extensions the easy way.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”