Can't see video(Running on vista)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
freeze2015
New Cone
New Cone

Can't see video(Running on vista)

Postby freeze2015 » 13 Feb 2007 11:49

Hi guys i am using the 0.8.5 version of vlc, i just tried to play an avi file(must be divx or xvid encoding), the thing is when i try to play the file, i can hear the sound, but instead of the real stuff, i can see only that in the player, it becomes red, green, blue, and so on. And then onwards i tried to play it in windows media player 11 with the Gordian Knot pack, it worked, i dont know why it isn't working, Vlc is so cool, Since 2 years i have been using VLC, i never had this problem, but i was also thinkin about VISTA compatibility. I am using VISTA premium, with 2 GO ram, CORE duo 1.86, and nvidia 7300 Graphic Card.

I am already thanking you for your replies

Johnny_xx
New Cone
New Cone

the same here

Postby Johnny_xx » 13 Feb 2007 23:51

hey fooks,i have the same problem! seer all coulors but no movie
i ame using vista ultimat ,and i instalt some codecs ,xvid dx50 enz,,,,,
but no resulds,help pleace

Lord Fluffybum
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Lord Fluffybum » 14 Feb 2007 05:25

I have this same issue.

The color your seeing is one pixel from the video, that's the best I can figure. The only poor workaround that I've found is to take snapshot after snapshot to reveal the video.

For DVDs, if it has a subtitle, it'll play, but flicker white when the caption changes.

:x

DJWIGGLES
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DJWIGGLES » 14 Feb 2007 23:05

Hey guys, i am not sure if this has been said yet, but it looks like it has something to do with the Windows Aero. I noticed if you change your Appearance Settings to Windows Basic VLC works fine.

Now if you are using Windows Aero you can change this by

Right Clicking on Desktop > Personalize > Windows Color and Appearance > Open Classic Appearance properties for more color options > Select Windows Vista Basic.

Hope this helps guys, i have also noticed if you use VLC 0.8.0 it changes it by itself when you open a video file. I am going to see if this works with the newest version of vlc right now.

Lord Fluffybum
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Lord Fluffybum » 14 Feb 2007 23:21

This attempt has failed to resolve the problem. I did try with Aero off already, but hadn't tried it with other styles. The other styles still prevent the video from working.

Can't figure out why using the snapshot feature would reveal the video, however brief it may be.

DJWIGGLES
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DJWIGGLES » 14 Feb 2007 23:46

Ok i just tryed this with version 0.8.6a and it did not work. so for now, i am going to use 0.8.0

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 15 Feb 2007 00:02

You might find some useful tips here: viewtopic.php?t=31687&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

VCL is not quite ready for Vista yet.

Lord Fluffybum
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Lord Fluffybum » 17 Feb 2007 05:11

Should have just taken note of 0.8.0 before. Uninstalled VLC, deleted the folder, then installed 0.8.0 and it seems to run fine now. Didn't have any AVI files on hand except one really short one, but seeing a half second of video tells me that it would play what I need it to play.

Thanks for the advice.

fujyoshi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fujyoshi » 17 Feb 2007 18:26

thanks for the advice people.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”