How To Use VLC for iOS and how to customize the app

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
SavageNarce
New Cone
New Cone

Re: How To Use VLC for iOS and how to customize the app

Postby SavageNarce » 15 Nov 2018 02:28

In the Wiki it mentions "Smart handling of music albums" - would it be possible to make this optional? As it is, I cannot put all of my Rock music in a Rock folder, because it keeps creating new folders like "Forty Licks" if I try adding Rolling Stones tracks to my Rock folder.

SavageNarce
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SavageNarce » 15 Nov 2018 18:35

Workaround: It seems that the VLC for IOS app looks at the metadata (tags) in the file and uses these to decide whether or not a given item is part of an album.

I used a file tagging app on my computer, selected all of the MP3 files that I wanted to upload, and blanked out the Album field on all of them. With this done, the files can be uploaded to the VLC app and moved into a single folder, as desired. Not very elegant, and far from the ideal solution, but it works. If you don't want to delete the Album tag data, you can just move it to a different field, like Discnumber or Composer, which is normally empty/blank, or create a new field (like OldAlb) and move the album title tags there.

SavageNarce
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SavageNarce » 16 Nov 2018 00:26

Well, that worked - a bit. But there are still problems with things getting grouped incorrectly as "albums" and with things moving incorrectly between folders.

In short, this is a TERRIBLE APP and not really ready for release. As much as I dislike the other apps that I have tried for playing MP3 files, they are less frustrating than this one. Good-bye!!

Paconab
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Paconab » 22 Feb 2019 00:17

How can I skip channels in VLC for iOS ?

I downloaded a m3u Playlist but can only see the first of the channels

Thanks.

boolik
New Cone
New Cone

Postby boolik » 27 Feb 2019 23:00

VLC is a good player, but I can not set the seek time, currently it's 10 seconds, but I need 2-5s instead :(

jrj699
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.2.6
Operating System: IOS

Postby jrj699 » 07 Mar 2019 11:46

I am using vlc 3.1.6 on ios 10.3.3. What are the best settings, default, or custom and tools should I use? is there a specific
"how to" reference to follow?!?

cvmiller
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cvmiller » 11 Mar 2019 19:38

I have created a BUG ticket for this issue, as I saw no other ticket for this issue, and clearly people have been seeing it for the past 6 months. Feel free to comment on the ticket. Please give iOS, VLC, and iPhone version info to help the Devs.

https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/22021#ticket

RH65271
New Cone
New Cone

Postby RH65271 » 26 Mar 2019 07:26

I just want to put a list of songs on my iPhone and play them as I'm driving. VLC on Android worked fine for this but VLC for iOS has all the music grouped with one song per album, plays the one song and stops. Is there a setting to just keep playing every song in the entire library?

tvlc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tvlc » 21 May 2019 12:45

Hallo zusammen,
danke für die hervorragende Alternative zur Musikverwaltung/Player auf dem Iphone.
Vielleicht habe ich es nur noch nicht gefunden wie es geht: ist es möglich das Album
Cover (oder auch die Cover pro Song) im VLC auf dem Iphone anzuzeigen?
Habe heute extra ein paar Alben vorbereitet (Album Cover jeweils zu den Titeln
hinzugefügt mit einem MP3-Tagger), so dass diese im VLC angezeigt werden sollten.
Funktioniert auch mit VLC unter Windows und Linux. Nur leider noch nicht auf dem
Iphone. Was muss ich tun / wie müssen die Dateien vorbereitet werden, damit die
Cover Anzeige auch auf dem Iphone funktioniert (VLC dort in aktuellster Version.
Gruß

tvlc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tvlc » 27 May 2019 09:48

Hello, don't know if this helps but will now put my question in english too:
while VLC as Linux/Windows version is able to display the embedded cover jpg-picture of a song
the iPhone version does not do that (added cover pictures to songs with a mp3-tagger) .
Is there anything one can do or setup to make the iPhone version of VLC showing the embedded
(album) cover pictures? Or in minimum: to arrange VLC that it displays the cover picture for
the album folders?
Regards

sundus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sundus » 10 Jul 2019 11:25

Hi,

I cannot find APIs document for iOS VLC. e.g if I have to use a sepecific feature like extraction of timed metadata from livestreams, which function should I use?
Where can I find APIs document?

Regards,
Sundus

rdcs11
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rdcs11 » 07 Nov 2019 21:13

Just a quick observation: On IOS 13, the share button does not show VLC.

Nikz15
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Nikz15 » 18 Nov 2019 02:01

When listing app in IOS devices, or customizing your app, I am sure that there is an organizer of your application in your IOS device.

Nikz15
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Nikz15 » 18 Nov 2019 02:03

When your IOS version will not be upgraded or updated to any higher version because your apple product has already phase out? What are the best way to do?

Arvin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Arvin » 04 Jun 2020 05:17

When I use the iOS VLC player to play rtsp video, I turn on the microphone to prepare for recording, but the VLC player suddenly has no sound and regrets to stop playing for a while. I want to try to play the rtsp video again, but the APP will freeze. This problem occurs on my system using iOS13, iOS12 does not

hrp1618
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hrp1618 » 25 Jul 2020 22:35

Can you kindly update this wiki to explain how to set up local network streaming using SMB, Plex and FTP?

I have tried following other online guides but just get a orange spinning circle when I try to connect my Mac mini to my iPad Pro.

It would be nice to have official instructions for this matter.

DaveRB
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DaveRB » 21 Aug 2020 17:05

Hi,so I'm risking a basic newbie question here...please be gentle if it's answered elsewhere, but I've been looking for a couple of hours now.

I installed the iOS app on my iphone and also iPad. Each of these contains approx 6/700 music albums locally already that can be played via the standard Music app, or the VOX player I also have onboard.

I expected VLC to just "see" these audio files, like the other players, but I only get "Empty Media Library" under the Audio tab. The documentation seems to imply that I need to re-upload all these files to VLC, but surely it can't be right that I have to have a duplicate library? I'd need to get a phone with double the memory!

Am I missing something? I just can't see how to 'point' VLC at the files that are already there?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 23 Jan 2021 16:41

VLC cannot see the media synchronized to the music library. We didn't add it because there is no way to actually get hold of the files or their bitstream, but just a list of metadata and the capability to play them with the iOS internal software - so, VLC couldn't add any benefit here except for yet another UI to the same database.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Boatboy55
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Boatboy55 » 23 Jan 2021 18:16

Thank you, very helpful. The document didn't show how to create a playlist from mp3 files stored in VLC. I'm on my 3rd day of trying. The text in VLC wants me to synchronise with iTunes. However I have 35 mp3's on my iPad in VLC, zero in iTunes and 1000's on my PC. So if I synchronise the 35 mp3's will end up in iTunes and replace the 1000's on my PC. Similarly I have a no videos on my iPad, none in VLC, none in iTunes and 1000's on my PC. What happens here in the synchronisation?

PeeWee
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby PeeWee » 10 Nov 2021 18:19

Can somebody provide documentation/explanation for "Variable Jump Duration"?
Right, that's what I was wondering as well.
VLC 3 · macOS 12 · iOS 15

forrie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby forrie » 11 Apr 2022 19:41

As far as I can tell, these instructions do not work.

I am using iOS 5.x and MacOS Monterey.

What I want to do is import a playlist that consists of streaming URLs, something I cannot do in Apple's Music app, as apparently they don't allow it. But I don't see any obvious way to accomplish this -- either from the desktop or mobile iOS VLC app.

I just loaded up the VLC iOS app the other day, and I wasn't really able to do much with it, but peruse the empty sections. Would it be reasonable to have some "import" function that is in the UI? For that matter, I will presume that any import of songs to VLC iOS will actually copy them and therefore use more space (ie: I don't know that Apple grants direct access to the iTunes library files).

What "sources" for import will iOS allow the VLC iOS app access?

Cardboard
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Cardboard » 27 Sep 2022 10:27

Simple questions...but can't find the answer.

How do I create playlists of mp3's, and how do I shuffle within them?

Thank you, and I do love VLC on my iOS.

jmm
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jmm » 20 Nov 2022 19:25

As far as I can tell, these instructions do not work.

I am using iOS 5.x and MacOS Monterey.

What I want to do is import a playlist that consists of streaming URLs, something I cannot do in Apple's Music app, as apparently they don't allow it. But I don't see any obvious way to accomplish this -- either from the desktop or mobile iOS VLC app.

I just loaded up the VLC iOS app the other day, and I wasn't really able to do much with it, but peruse the empty sections. Would it be reasonable to have some "import" function that is in the UI? For that matter, I will presume that any import of songs to VLC iOS will actually copy them and therefore use more space (ie: I don't know that Apple grants direct access to the iTunes library files).

What "sources" for import will iOS allow the VLC iOS app access?
What I do: send myself the xspf file (playlist made up in computer VLC) by email and move it to the VLC folder on my iphone. This works.
Incidently, could someone look up my recent post and say if you have (had) the same issue and if so how to solve it?

foxpiet
New Cone
New Cone

Postby foxpiet » 21 Nov 2022 06:07

I'm using the VLC program on my iPad in church to project backing track videos through my Samsung Freestyle Projector, but soon as I send it to the projector through Airplay, the image with words are going blank on my iPad and I can thus only see the words on the Projector Screen and must then turn my back to the audience to be able to sing along. Is it possible to have the full view on the iPad whilst projecting via Airplay on the Projector Screen? Please advice if there is a setting I can change or a fix that I can download?

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”