Can't Record video

*nix specific usage questions
paul_1149
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Can't Record video

Postby paul_1149 » 19 Feb 2018 04:10

Hi,

I'm on MX-17 Linux (debian 9.3 stable) x64, running an nvidia video card. I have VLC 2.2.8. When I Record a segment of a playing video, only the audio is captured.

I've tried most of the Video / output module settings, including OpenGL. One of them did record the video, but the audio didn't start until the video had finished playing. All the others recorded the audio fine, but no video.

I also reset my profile. Is there any solution to this?

Thanks.

bettydalton
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Can't Record video

Postby bettydalton » 09 Mar 2018 16:01

paul_1149, I recognize your problem. And I have found the solution !

I had the same problem with audio and video. Probably a Linux issue I guess, because I didnt have any problems before with recording with Vlc. My problems started when I started switching to different versions of LinuxMint.

When I recorded a movie this happened: I got perfect sound, but no video. Then I got perfect video but no sound. And at the end of the recording for a few seconds I got audio and video combined.Additionally the recorded video refused to be placed in the dedicated folder which I chose in preferences.

After a search on this forum I found the solution to all my problems:

I read the advice from one of the developpers for another problem. He advised to update to Vlc 3.0.
I looked in software management for LinuxMint 18.3. and "Vlc (flathub)" was available for download. Vlc(flathub) is Vlc 3.0. Try it out. It worked for me.

paul_1149
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Can't Record video

Postby paul_1149 » 25 Mar 2018 00:21

Thank you, Betty. It seems to be working here also. The only weird thing is that the progress bar stays in the end position the whole time the recording is playing, so you can't tell where you actually are in the video. That's relatively minor, though.

Thanks again,
Paul

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”