locked aspect ratio when resizing windows?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
stefanwolf
New Cone
New Cone

locked aspect ratio when resizing windows?

Postby stefanwolf » 05 Oct 2008 14:30

Hi!

When I watch videos while working I often move and resize the player window. Unfortunately you always have full freedom to change X and Y size independently -- not only when you don't use a single border to change size but also if you move a corner of the window to resize X and Y simultaneously. I have searched everywhere but I can't seem to find a setting to lock the aspect ratio in a way that resizing the window with the corner handle does not change the current ratio (whatever it was set to before resizing) so I don't have to fix it manually after resizing. It must be there, but where??

Best regards, Stefan.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: locked aspect ratio when resizing windows?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Oct 2008 18:01

I don't understand.
Do you want to be able to resize only in order to keep width/height in the same ratio ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

stefanwolf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stefanwolf » 05 Oct 2008 19:14

No, I want to resize the viewer window while I'm working (often for many hours) on other things -- I make the video smaller when I need to see larger portions of the stuff I'm working on and I want to make it larger when I read stuff that only covers half my screen. So while I'm working on boring stuff I watch videos that don't need constant attention (series and stuff). Now e.g. when I make the VLC window smaller it's not just "grab a corner and drag it until the window is small enough" -- it's also "and then fumble around with height and width until the video does not have those annoying black bars". When the video is 4:3 and the initial VLC window nicely opens with just that ratio, I want VLC to keep this ratio when I drag a corner to make the window smalle or larger. My TV application makes exactly that -- it has a setting that says "lock ratio on resizing" and voila... A built-in "lock ratio" is also common in many graphics programs or scanner frontends when you resize a selected area -- the 4 single border handles move just that border (and thus change the ratio) while corner handles move two borders, keeping the ratio of the marked area intact.

Best regards, Stefan.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Oct 2008 19:21

So, yes, that is what you want :D
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

stefanwolf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stefanwolf » 05 Oct 2008 20:04

You are right, I misread your question perfectly. Indeed I want to be able to "resize only". If that is a new feature request (i.e. it really is *not* somewhere and I just don't find it) then I would prefer to have a setting to make that the default behaviour and not to add it as e.g "press CTRL while dragging the corner handle". Even more since I don't see why anybody would *usually* want to resize a window to an aspect ratio different from the ratio of the source.

Best regards, Stefan.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Oct 2008 20:10

You could want that is you use the playlist when integrated and want to resize in a different way...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

stefanwolf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stefanwolf » 09 Oct 2008 09:53

Of course there might be uses for resizing the window *and* changing the X/Y ratio but as I suggested the *usual* resize desire would be "I want to make the viewer window somewhat larger/smaller and keep the current X/Y view -- e.g. 4:3 -- so I don't introduce unused window space aka black bars". Both needs would be addressed if the 4 border handles continued to work as they do now -- they can be dragged independently -- and only the 4 corner handles which move 2 adjacent borders get their function modified so that resizing the adjacent borders keeps their ratio intact. As a developer, could you enter this into the wish queue? It's a feature I use so naturally and often in other applications, I wondered why I did not find any request for it in VLC. That's why I suspected it's already there and it's only me who doesn't find it...

Thanks so much for your support, Jean-Baptiste!!

Best regards, Stefan.

killerbee123
New Cone
New Cone

Postby killerbee123 » 23 Oct 2008 03:14

I'm also looking for a feature exactly like this, it would make it so much easier when resizing the window while watching videos. Thanks!

mmkFly
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mmkFly » 28 Oct 2008 20:52

I'd like this too.

What I'd really like is an option to just auto-resize the window to the max (but not 'maximize' of course) that the screen can hold while maintaing the video-to-window ratio, so there are no black bars. :) :) :)

stefanwolf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stefanwolf » 30 Oct 2008 13:37

I posted a feature request: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=52075

Stefan.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 30 Oct 2008 13:43

I posted a feature request: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=52075

Stefan.
Trac it!
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Awesoft
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Awesoft » 09 Aug 2010 23:08

Not solved yet?

rewa
New Cone
New Cone

Re: locked aspect ratio

Postby rewa » 19 Oct 2010 12:11

hello
i am new to vlc and want to be able to lock the window size, across video with different aspect ratio. i am making a long playlist in vlc as a backup for our mediachannel at a music festival in austria and have videos with different aspect ratios to play. i need the screen size to stay the same, automatically, between videos of different aspect ratios. is this possible?

thank very much

china91888
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby china91888 » 25 Sep 2012 03:54

this is a perfect feature but it hasn't been implemented till now.

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EodiV » 18 Jul 2017 13:06

I have turned this into a feature request ticket. The wait is for a volunteer to spend his free time on it.
ticket 18553

For others coming here to request this feature; it's on the list now.

astro1962
New Cone
New Cone

Postby astro1962 » 22 May 2019 16:11

Sure Love this Player,,,, I'm using a 50 inch monitor via laptop and Bose surround.. Wicked. I do a lot of multitasking also and i usually have a couple vlc's going along with a website and a Cad program and just like buddy there said, in order to make everything fit the way you want it,,, resizing is important,,, and locking it in that size and position on the screen also.. I was wondering if that new youtube player is related to vlc? its no where good as vlc but pretty damn good from what they had,,,, is there any way to link youtube videos to vlc?.. i almost always record everything i watch so i use vlc after . And i see that the Opacity feature coming about in more programs... that would be a cool feature for subliminal controls or maybe playlist ,, lots of stuff if a guy put his mind to it.. anyway i just wanted to say you guys are doing a great job!!!

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”