Unable to play unencrypted Blu-Ray ISO file

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ricouzuki
New Cone
New Cone

Unable to play unencrypted Blu-Ray ISO file

Postby ricouzuki » 22 Feb 2016 15:06

Hi there,

I want to first say that VLC is some of the best software I have ever used. Thank you to the whole team for writing something that makes countless people's lives better!

I recently started backing up my blue-ray collection onto a backup drive for piece of mind. I stripped any AACS encryption and was left with a bare ISO of the disc contents. Normally with a DVD dropping this ISO into VLC results in a perfect playback of the menus and video (actually better than any DVD player thanks to the quick access time of a HDD)

When I try to do the same with a Blue-Ray ISO a second Direct 3D black window pops up and just sits there for 15 seconds and then closes after which the player returns from a 'Playing' state to a 'Stopped' state.

Looking at the Log Viewer I get the following core errors:
core error: Could not convert timestamp 0
core error: Could not convert timestamp 0
core error: Could not convert timestamp 8189290063
core error: Could not convert timestamp 8189331771
core error: Could not convert timestamp 8189373479

When I click play and switch from this new pop up Direct 3D window back to the player window there is a blue button that appears above the Play button. It appears to be a button for teletext. When I click on it the following error appears in the Log Window

core error: Codec `telx' (Teletext) is not supported.

What could be the problem?

Thanks,

ricouzuki
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Unable to play unencrypted Blu-Ray ISO file

Postby ricouzuki » 23 Feb 2016 13:01

I'd like to add that I have successfully played the files using Leawo blu-ray player. This software seems to skip the menus and just play the movie title so there may be some correlation as to why VLC can't play the movie file.

Any ideas guys?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 Feb 2016 17:23

How did you try to open it? You must use the Open Disc feature on the mounted ISO file.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

ricouzuki
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ricouzuki » 24 Feb 2016 12:08

I am directly opening the file.

Mounting the ISO seemed to work. Is it possible to play the movie by directly opening the file?

Mauser
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.2
Operating System: Windoze

Postby Mauser » 15 Apr 2016 18:04

I do not think Blu-ray discs have the normal DVD .iso. Check out DVDFab's free virtual drive software - it lets you create what they call a .miniso file that allows normal mounting and playback.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”