LOCK Volume?

Feature requests for VLC.
segraves1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

LOCK Volume?

Postby segraves1 » 25 May 2010 09:32

Like it says, I want to LOCK the volume at some fixed amount in VLC (say 150%) and have it NOT be able to move EVER.

I have a remote with a iMON setup that I use to operate my HTPC and the volume is thus changed through the master system volume. The issue arises when I'm watching movies/working on stuff and using my keyboard. My keyboard has a volume slider and when I try to adjust the volume with the keyboard, VLC thinks I'm telling it to adjust ITS volume (vs the master system volume) and the volumes come up WAYYYY to fast/loud.

So.... if I can lock/hard code/etc VLC to lock the volume at some setting and ignore all volume commands, that would be of big help.

Thanks,
Chris

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: LOCK Volume?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 25 May 2010 11:33

VLC version?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

segraves1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby segraves1 » 25 May 2010 17:13

opps... 1.2.0

hobbes
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hobbes » 25 May 2010 19:29

How does the keyboard send the 'change volume' commands? Does it send a keystroke, or does it use another method?

segraves1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby segraves1 » 25 May 2010 21:32

I'm not sure exactly how it sends the volume order, though I don't think it is a keystroke. The keyboard is a Logitech Dinovo and it has a dedicated touch response volume bar (swipe up = volume up swipe down = volume down).

hobbes
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hobbes » 28 May 2010 12:14

Does the Dinovo have a preference panel where you can set where the volume command is sent?

As a workaround, you can set the VLC volume control to take really small steps, which should solve at least the problem of the volume changing too rapidly:
in preferences > Audio, change the Audio Output Volume Step to 1.

segraves1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby segraves1 » 28 May 2010 17:49

Does the Dinovo have a preference panel where you can set where the volume command is sent?

As a workaround, you can set the VLC volume control to take really small steps, which should solve at least the problem of the volume changing too rapidly:
in preferences > Audio, change the Audio Output Volume Step to 1.
nope, unfortunately it doesn't have an option for the volume command.

I'll try that. As you said, that would at least keep from getting rapid changes. Still just need a place I can SET the volume and force it to remain regardless of commands.

Nostrada
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Nostrada » 28 Jun 2010 23:35

You can set inverse hotkeys like I did.

Volume Down button is the hotkey for Volume up and
Volume Up button is the hotkey for Volume down.

That keeps it in balance so it will adjust just the master volume control in Windows.

Dignan17
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dignan17 » 10 Aug 2010 15:04

Sorry to bring this thread back up, but I have also been wanting this for a long time. I find the volume adjustment in VLC to be incredibly annoying. It amazes me that there is no option to simply turn it off or lock it at a specific level. I want to control the system volume, not programs individually.

There are two ways I control system volume, but only one of them gets taken over by VLC.

1) Dell Bluetooth Keyboard - there's a volume knob, and when it's turned it talks to my Logitech Setpoint software which then adjusts the system volume. This method works as I would expect, and doesn't touch VLC no matter what. I really like that. However, this isn't my preferred input method for volume control. that would be:

2) Griffin Powermate - it's a fantastic little knob that gives me very accurate control over volume, and is just more pleasant to use than the keyboard. The problem is that, even though I have the Griffin software set up properly, VLC for some reason takes over control of the volume adjustment. When the focus is on VLC, turning the Powermate changes the volume in the program. If I merely click somewhere off the player window and take the focus away, the knob controls the system volume.

It seems to me that as an interface design decision, it's awful to have this second volume level, particularly if the user has absolutely not option to simply lock it or turn it off. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't VLC not used to have that volume control? I liked the program a lot more then.

I hope someone who works on the program is reading this, because it's a feature I think is really important. Please let us lock the volume!

ps- thanks to segraves1 for posting this thread. I posted a similar one a month or so back, and not a single person replied to it. thanks for that, guys.

*edit*
Oh, and I've unset all volume controls in settings, and yes, VLC still takes control

RyanMichaelLewis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby RyanMichaelLewis » 15 Nov 2010 04:45

I fixed this by going to the Advanced Audio settings and setting the Audio Output Volume Step to "0".

Dignan17
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dignan17 » 15 Nov 2010 16:05

Dude! You are my hero!

That fixed it completely. Clever solution, too! +5 internet points for you, sir

Infti
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Infti » 23 Jun 2015 20:36

I have spent hours trying to figure out, from the forum contributions, how to lock the volume on VLC player. As far as I can tell, many people have said many things, but no answer to this question appears to have been given.

It is a very simple question: How does one lock the volume control slider so that it will not move until and unless it is unlocked?

I would imagine that nearly every VLC user would want this fix. The problem is, I am listening to audio tracks, and at a certain point, I notice that the sound is very loud. I look at the volume control and it is at 120 (for example) with bright yellow and orange warning bars. Somehow, my mouse must have strayed to the volume control slider and accidentally moved it. Don’t other people have this problem?

This seems to me to be a very common and obvious problem. I assume that this is the kind of problem people are asking about, but the answers given are very convoluted, off topic, and just don’t answer the question.

If there is currently no way to do it, I suggest that the developers implement it in a future version. But maybe some clever person could find a way to do it in the existing versions. I now use 2.2.1. I previously used an earlier version. There is nothing I can find on either lock the volume.

Infti
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Infti » 24 Jun 2015 16:38

Another possibility would be to have an option to HIDE the volume control to prevent it from moving accidentally. This would accomplish the same thing.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”