Add-to-vlc-playlist not on explorer right-click

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
d4005
New Cone
New Cone

Add-to-vlc-playlist not on explorer right-click

Postby d4005 » 16 Apr 2011 21:46

I used to have the add to vlc playlist on my right-click menu in explorer but now it's gone. Not sure why it's gone.

The key is still in the right place in the registry (as far as I can tell) and it's not disabled (with a "legacy key").

Here's a screenshot I took where I've got overlapping windows of regedit, vlc preferences and an actual right-click. You see where I put the red arrows on the screenshot that there's (a) no legacy key, (b) no add-to-vlc-playlist item in the menu, and (c) my VLC preferences. During the right-click I did here, VLC was actually playing at the time.

I'm using vlc 1.1.1 on Windows 7 Pro x64.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Add-to-vlc-playlist not on explorer right-click

Postby VLC_help » 17 Apr 2011 15:33

Interface settings don't have an effect to registry (VLC settings are stored to %appdata%\vlc folder). Is the registry location HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\shell\AddToPlaylistVLC ?

d4005
New Cone
New Cone

Postby d4005 » 17 Apr 2011 17:54

Interface settings don't have an effect to registry (VLC settings are stored to %appdata%\vlc folder). Is the registry location HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\shell\AddToPlaylistVLC ?
I've attached screenshots of the things you mentioned. I also installed 1.1.9 and selected "delete preferences and settings" so that I'd definitely be getting a fresh start. It doesn't seem to have made a difference though. I still don't have add-to-vlc-playlist when I right-click an avi. During install, I left everything selected (all video files) and only unselected 3 audio formats (.mp3, .wma and .wav).

I've noticed that if I right-click on a .wmv file I also don't get the add-to-vlc-playlist option. I *do* get it when I right-click an mp4 file though. Looking in the registry, I don't see anything different between mp4, wmv and avi. :? :?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 18 Apr 2011 16:16

During install, I left everything selected (all video files) and only unselected 3 audio formats (.mp3, .wma and .wav).
Those context menu items that you are missing come from
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/attachment ... or_03b.jpg
that selection.

And it seems someone else has also complained about this.
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/3567

d4005
New Cone
New Cone

Postby d4005 » 18 Apr 2011 16:58

During install, I left everything selected (all video files) and only unselected 3 audio formats (.mp3, .wma and .wav).
Those context menu items that you are missing come from
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/attachment ... or_03b.jpg
that selection.

And it seems someone else has also complained about this.
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/3567
Yes, that's very related. Not exactly the same, but very close. I'm also on x64 Windows. The weird thing for me is that I get the menu for mp4 files but not for avi.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 19 Apr 2011 16:41

I think there is something in Windows Explorer that overrides it, but I have no idea what is causing it.

d4005
New Cone
New Cone

Postby d4005 » 23 Apr 2011 10:40

Some observations of recent activity.

When I had .avi files set to be opened by Windows Media Player, the "play with VLC" and "add to VLC playlist" were both options on the explorer right-click menu. But when I right-clicked the avi and chose "open with" and selected VLC and checked/ticked the box "always open with this program", then the "add to VLC playlist" went away. If I re-associated avi with Windows Media Player, then "add to VLC playlist" came back. It seems that adding to VLC playlist was only an option when VLC was not the default player for avi. Totally weird.

But anyway, due to a system crash I had, which led me to have to go back to an 11-day-old system backup from before I had this weirdness, my VNC playlist is back on the menu. I noticed that vlc was still old so I installed the latest version and made sure that ALL the video formats would be associated during the installation, and now I've got the perfect associations. VLC is the default for avi files and the "add to VLC playlist" is on the menu. So I need to make sure I don't touch anything, so it stays that way.

The thing to take away from this is, don't use the "open with" and "always use this program to open this file" method of associating VLC with a file type. Instead, select it during VLC installation and let VLC go and make all the associations. If it's too late to do that (because VLC is already installed), no problem, just re-install it.

kondoril
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kondoril » 13 Feb 2012 10:23

Indeed, there is a problem with the vlc and the right click context menu

I had it both for files and for directories and now it is gone...

I re-installed.. and all I get is the right context menu for files... but not in directories...

This is new issue and annoying

BTW:

In the registry is appears in the HKCR/directory/shell:
"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --started-from-file --no-playlist-enqueue "%1"

thalygart
New Cone
New Cone

Postby thalygart » 11 Apr 2013 19:37

Maybe somebody found an answer to this what I did was
1. downloaded the latest one
2. uninstalled the old one
3. reinstalled
the above did not work then
4. right click one of the audio files
5. Chose "Properties"
6. Then on "Opens with" (even though its already VLC), I clicked and chose again VLC and clicked ok...this returned the "Add to Vlc media player's list"
I hope this will work for you

beatskipt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby beatskipt » 11 Apr 2015 04:06

i came here for this issue and thought it was a new install but after further investigation realised there's a 15 file limit to the right click functionality. If you're trying to add too many items then keeping it to 15 or under should work for you too.

Trexx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Trexx » 23 Nov 2018 13:38

Just a shot in the dark here... have any of you changed your desktop background, Windows Themes, or system icons (like Recycling Bin, User Folder, etc.) I haven't made many changes to my system... so as an obvious troubleshooting step, the logical thing to do would be to see if I could recreate the issue taking one step at a time looking for the effect in question. Unfortunately, this isn't possible at the current moment. I haven't tried to reinstall, but I did try to copy the Directory context menu registry keys for VLC (since, for whatever reason, they still existed) but I kind of figured it wouldn't work. edit: ... and it didn't.

I think there is something in Windows Explorer that overrides it, but I have no idea what is causing it.

I would have to concur what VLC_help suggested. I was thinking the same before I ever visited this site. The registry entry is entirely gone. How many of you use CCleaner? But hey... I didn't post on here just to ask a bunch of questions! I have a potential solution (for some of you, hopefully). It didn't work for me... and honestly, reinstalling with the 'Context Menus' option checked off should definitely resolve the problem... soooo...

But just in case it may help even one person out there... try accessing the properties of vlc.exe, navigate to the compatibility tab, and check the 'Run as Administrator' box. Hit apply, and try it. If that doesn't work, try creating a shortcut and doing the same thing, except the 'Run as Admin' will be under the Shortcut tab -> Advanced button.

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 22 Oct 2020 19:10

Bumping this thread, as I'm currently experiencing this issue.
See also: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=155187

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”