VLC and DVD on OSX - Cannot set the DVD's title

macOS specific usage questions
victorhooi
New Cone
New Cone

VLC and DVD on OSX - Cannot set the DVD's title

Postby victorhooi » 06 Nov 2014 20:57

I'm running OSX 10.9.5 with VLC 2.1.5 (Rincewind).

I have an Apple SuperDrive.

I inserted a DVD, and set the region on the drive to 2 (which according to the packaging, is the region on the DVD disc)

I tried to play the DVD in VLC, by going to File, Open Disc.

However, I get the following messages in my Errors and Warnings window:

Code: Select all

Playback Failure VLC cannot set the DVD's title. It possibly cannot decrypt the entire disc. Your input can't be opened. VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvdnav:///dev/rdisk2'. Check the log for details.
In my Messages window, I see:

Code: Select all

main debug: VLC media player - 2.1.5 Rincewind main debug: Copyright © 1996-2014 the VideoLAN team main debug: revision 2.1.4-59-g5f258d5 main debug: configured with ../extras/package/macosx/../../../configure '--prefix=/Users/fkuehne/Desktop/videolan/gits/vlc-2.1/release/vlc_install_dir' '--enable-macosx' '--enable-merge-ffmpeg' '--enable-growl' '--enable-faad' '--enable-flac' '--enable-theora' '--enable-shout' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-realrtsp' '--enable-libass' '--enable-macosx-audio' '--enable-macosx-eyetv' '--enable-macosx-qtkit' '--enable-macosx-vout' '--disable-caca' '--disable-skins2' '--disable-xcb' '--disable-sdl' '--disable-samplerate' '--disable-macosx-dialog-provider' '--with-macosx-sdk=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk' '--build=x86_64-apple-darwin10' '--with-macosx-version-min=10.6' 'build_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin10' 'CC=xcrun clang' 'CXX=xcrun clang++' 'OBJC=xcrun clang' main debug: VLC media player - 2.1.5 Rincewind main debug: Copyright © 1996-2014 the VideoLAN team main debug: revision 2.1.4-59-g5f258d5 main debug: configured with ../extras/package/macosx/../../../configure '--prefix=/Users/fkuehne/Desktop/videolan/gits/vlc-2.1/release/vlc_install_dir' '--enable-macosx' '--enable-merge-ffmpeg' '--enable-growl' '--enable-faad' '--enable-flac' '--enable-theora' '--enable-shout' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-realrtsp' '--enable-libass' '--enable-macosx-audio' '--enable-macosx-eyetv' '--enable-macosx-qtkit' '--enable-macosx-vout' '--disable-caca' '--disable-skins2' '--disable-xcb' '--disable-sdl' '--disable-samplerate' '--disable-macosx-dialog-provider' '--with-macosx-sdk=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk' '--build=x86_64-apple-darwin10' '--with-macosx-version-min=10.6' 'build_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin10' 'CC=xcrun clang' 'CXX=xcrun clang++' 'OBJC=xcrun clang' main debug: adding item `rdisk2' ( dvdnav:///dev/rdisk2 ) main debug: processing request item: rdisk2, node: Playlist, skip: 0 main debug: Creating an input for 'rdisk2' main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Playlist main debug: rebuild done - 2 items, index 1 main debug: starting playback of the new playlist item main debug: resyncing on rdisk2 main debug: rdisk2 is at 1 main debug: creating new input thread main debug: Creating an input for 'rdisk2' main debug: no fetch required for (null) (art currently (null)) main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB, in path '/tmp' main debug: `dvdnav:///dev/rdisk2' gives access `dvdnav' demux `' path `/dev/rdisk2' main debug: creating demux: access='dvdnav' demux='' location='/dev/rdisk2' file='/dev/rdisk2' main debug: looking for access_demux module matching "dvdnav": 14 candidates dvdnav warning: dvdnav_get_next_block failed dvdnav debug: trying to go to dvd menu dvdnav error: cannot set title (can't decrypt DVD?) main debug: no access_demux modules matched main debug: creating access 'dvdnav' location='/dev/rdisk2', path='/dev/rdisk2' main debug: looking for access module matching "dvdnav": 18 candidates main debug: no access modules matched main error: open of `dvdnav:///dev/rdisk2' failed main debug: dead input main debug: changing item without a request (current 1/2) main debug: nothing to play
Any thoughts on what's going on?

Cheers,
Victor

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Re: VLC and DVD on OSX - Cannot set the DVD's title

Postby dfuhrmann » 07 Nov 2014 08:07

It does not even find the dvdnav access module in your case. I would suggest to try a 2.2 nightly build (which is already release candidate 1 for our new version).

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”