Can't get simple streaming to work with 0.8.2

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
Craig

Can't get simple streaming to work with 0.8.2

Postby Craig » 26 Jul 2005 17:58

I'm just trying to stream video over my LAN with 0.8.2 and can't get it to work. I have tried both my capture card and a video file with no success and while I can view them fine in the player I can't seem to stream them.

When I start streaming with either the GUI or the Wizard, the "play" button returns to the play state (instead of switching to "pause") so it appears it is not streaming but I get no error message. When I try to receive on the client pc (both running Windows XP) it looks like it tries to connect but the video window never opens up (I also get no error message). I have tried both HTTP and UDP but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Help, please. Thanks.

Craig

Postby Craig » 02 Aug 2005 16:19

I'm not getting anywhere with this. Can someone at least tell me if the "Play" button should turn to the "Pause" icon/state if streaming is working correctly? Thanks.

mlm001
New Cone
New Cone

I've just been down that road.... Here are a few tips...

Postby mlm001 » 05 Aug 2005 23:03

hello,

1) Since you are running windows, I am assuming you are looking at the VideoLAN Streaming Howto... All command line examples, when you see single quotes surrounding, say for example the --sout argument, replace them with double quotes. I lost a couple of hours over that!! (I should have noticed the % in the example and recognised that as Linux :)...

2) When the vlc GUI comes up, either from your command line statement, or via the Start-> Programs.... etc. Your best friend, Settings->Add Interface->Debug logging. This will start a new command windows with a nice debug log. Also, keep in mind, that after you start that debug window, you need to click on the Play button again to get it to send anything to the log. (Only if it is not working at all, aka, you see the name of your play file flash on the lower left portion of the player, and then "nothing".

3) When debuging the transcoding section, start the play, then pause it, and bring up View->Stream and Media info. This will tell you the settings it is currently using. NOTE: If you don't pause it, before it gets to the end, that window will be empty.

Notice: All of the above mainly applies to the Streaming side using VLC.

I finally got mine working, so if you have any other problems, feel free to reply.

Mike

Craig

Postby Craig » 06 Aug 2005 21:21

Thanks very much for the reply and suggestions. Here is the log for when I try to stream using the wizard. I am trying to stream a video capture input with the default HTTP settings. Note that I have no problems watching the input in VLC without the streaming. There are a lot of errors but I'm not sure what they mean.

[00000309] logger interface: VLC media player - version 0.8.2 Janus - (c) 1996-2
005 VideoLAN
[00000309] logger interface:
Warning: if you can't access the GUI anymore, open a dos command box, go to the
directory where you installed VLC and run "vlc -I wxwin"

[00000309] logger interface: Using the logger interface module...
invalid options (empty)[00000315] main private: creating httpd
[00000319] mux_ps private: Open
[00000319] main private error: cannot add this stream
[00000322] main packetizer error: cannot create packetizer output
[00000319] main private error: cannot add this stream
[00000323] main packetizer error: cannot create packetizer output

mlm001
New Cone
New Cone

Hmm....

Postby mlm001 » 08 Aug 2005 05:32

I've only worked with VLC from the command-line, I've seen the "Wizard", but haven't used it. VLC has so many options, that I figure, once I get everything tuned right via the command line, I can easily reporduce it again.

I also haven't (yet) tried streaming from a video capture card... However, I do intend to try it. Have you read about the DirectShow stuff towards the end of the Streaming Howto? It seems that they are using that as the method of choice for accessing Video capture cards in Windows.

I did find, that if you Google "VLC longhelp", you end up back on the VLC wiki where someone has kindly placed the output of the --longhelp command. Under windows, it shows up in a pop up cmd window, and a scroll bar that is to short to see everything...

If you want to go command line, let me know, send me your attempts, and I will let you know what I have gotten to work.

Good Luck,

Mike

Craig

Postby Craig » 09 Aug 2005 02:56

Mike,

I just tried to simply stream CD audio from the command line:

"c:\program files\videolan\vlc\vlc.exe" cdda://D: :sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ts,url=192.168.0.24:8080}}

The CD seems to be playing but I get the errors below and it doesn't seem to stream anything. Thanks for trying to help - I am about to give up.

[00000505] logger interface: Using the logger interface module...
[00000510] main private: creating httpd
[00000513] main private error: cannot add this stream
[00000518] main packetizer error: cannot create packetizer output

jix
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jix » 09 Aug 2005 14:18

Try to transcode the audio to stream your cd

vlc.exe cdda://D: --sout=#transcode{acodec=vorb,ab=128}:std{access=http,mux=ogg,url=192.168.0.24:8080}

is99
New Cone
New Cone

Postby is99 » 10 Aug 2005 14:12

Try to get the 0.8.1 version, I also have the same problem and in 0.8.1 everything works fine

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 10 Aug 2005 14:34

in 0.8.2 every thing works fine too
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Craig

Postby Craig » 12 Aug 2005 04:49

Thanks for the help. The CD streaming works fine when I transcode the audio as you suggest. I haven't found a combination that works for the video capture yet but I will keep trying. 0.8.1 doesn't seem to behave any differently for me.

S
New Cone
New Cone

Facing similar problems streaming audio

Postby S » 27 Oct 2005 20:54

Hi Craig,

I want to multicast an audio stream from PC-1 to PC-2. Both are running vlc. I have configured one vlc as the streaming server using

vlc -vv cdda://D: --sout '#transcode{acodec=mpga,ab=128}:duplicate{dst=standard{access=udp,mux=ts,url=224.101.101.101}}'

and the other as a client using

vlc udp://@224.101.101.101

On the messages window I get the following error message:

main error: cannot add this stream
main error: cannot create packetizer output

Any suggestions on how to fix the problem.

Regards,
S

duanev

annoying that default program options don't work

Postby duanev » 23 Jan 2006 23:07

Apparently nearly all save-audio-to-file options require transcoding, including audio capture from a device. After spending *several* hours wading through VLC online docs and these forms, buried here in this thread is a hint that transcoding might help... I hate to post ah... unhelpful comments ... so how can I encourage details like these to be documented somewhere, or better yet coded into at least the GUI wizard?

When you select transcode/save-to-file (via the wizard) shouldn't transcode automatically be selected? Currently the brief help text suggests the you only select transcode when you want to *change* the encoding format. It is not explained anywhere that to save-to-file *requires* a change of format.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”