How can I stop VLC from switching to maximized?

*nix specific usage questions
Mister Acacia
New Cone
New Cone

How can I stop VLC from switching to maximized?

Postby Mister Acacia » 24 Feb 2012 18:59

Using Ubuntu 11.10, when I play videos, the first one is usually fine in a 1:1 ratio window. But after viewing a video or two in fullscreen mode (not maximized), coming out of fullscreen presents a maximized window. If I restore (un-maximize) then the interface is set to the display dimensions and the video is scaled accordingly. And if I simply open VLC from the menu, the interface is maximized, restoring again shows the interface set to display dimensions.

I was reading in the Windows board that clearing the vlc settings folder would fix this, which it did, but it's only a temporary fix.

Any ideas what settings I might need to change or, at least, check to stop this behavior?

Thanks in advance,
Mister

Bill_MI
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.0
Operating System: Linux

Re: How can I stop VLC from switching to maximized?

Postby Bill_MI » 28 Feb 2012 12:23

This has been happening for some time, here. I conclude the maximize gets set when you're in full-screen mode AND a media file completes (like going to the next file in a playlist). I find If I remember to exit full-screen mode prior to the end, it doesn't happen. If I forget (often) I go through a little ritual of dragging the window size to minimum while something is playing then closing VLC.

One can make an educated guess the modes of full-screen and maximize are confused in the code somewhere. Sorry, I know of no settings to avoid this irritating bug.
Bill In Michigan

Just_Me_Ok
New Cone
New Cone

Re: How can I stop VLC from switching to maximized?

Postby Just_Me_Ok » 18 Apr 2012 15:37

Hey,

Had the same issue after recently upgrading player to latest version.

Go to View and uncheck FullScreen Interface.

This also solves issues with getting VLC to display on secondary monitors. You now have the ability to drag and drop which was previously non-deployable.

I have enormous respect for open source programs and the overall movement that encapsulates joint cooperation. However, the recent changes to VLC like this recent addition are somewhat intrusive and not user-friendly. Hopefully one of you skilled dude or dudets out there can take that into consideration for future versions.

Hope this helps. All the best from Australia.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”