Mouse wheel text 'Volume XXX %' disappears if using playlist

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dr_always
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Mouse wheel text 'Volume XXX %' disappears if using playlist

Postby dr_always » 07 Oct 2011 11:04

The white text that displays as 'Volume XXX %' when one uses the mouse wheel to adjust volume (fullscreen or windowed doesn't matter) keeps disappearing and its driving me insane. This only happens while watching multiple videos via the playlist. Sometimes the text will display and sometimes it won't, with no rule or pattern except for the text always displays with the first file that plays out of the playlist (on random or sequenced doesn't matter). It is EXTREMELY annoying when one is in fullscreen or windowed in the minimal view setting, then wheel scrolls up or down to adjust volume and can't tell what percentage of volume is set unless you look at the green/yellow/orange/red volume bar. I'm on WinXP SP3 and using VLC 1.1.11 The Luggage. Someone, anyone, please help me keep my sanity.

For that extra bit of clarification, here's a snapshot. The text circled in red is the object in question.

Also, while I'm here I'd like to add my thanks to the developers for providing us with such an awesome media player!

[@Admins - I first posted this as a reply in another thread and then later decided to start a new topic in order to increase exposure. I hope this isn't a problem. If you must delete one copy of this post please leave this one and delete the other.]
Last edited by dr_always on 16 Nov 2011 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

dr_always
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Mouse wheel text 'Volume XXX %' disappears if using play

Postby dr_always » 08 Oct 2011 11:22

Come on guys, I'm practically pulling my hair out because of this. VLC_help, you must have something. Let's hear it.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 08 Oct 2011 17:26

Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2), and check what changes between working and non-working runs.

dr_always
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dr_always » 08 Oct 2011 18:05

The time is 11am and I just followed your instruction. I notice the Verbosity setting returns to 0 each time that I close and re-open VLC, is there any way to prevent this? I'll let you know whether this works or not in a few hours after the playlist has cycled through a few 45min videos.

HAARP
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby HAARP » 08 Oct 2011 18:21

The time is 11am and I just followed your instruction. I notice the Verbosity setting returns to 0 each time that I close and re-open VLC, is there any way to prevent this?
No. Don't close vlc. Just set the verbosity to 2 then play your file and log will appear in the message box (under tools-> messages.)

dr_always
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dr_always » 08 Oct 2011 18:23

I was hesitant to try this at first, but instead of waiting hours for the playlist to cycle I hit the next option a few times and, lo and behold, the white Volume XXX % text disappeared again. This happened after next'ing through four videos. Talk about disappointment.

From looking around the Messages interface I'm pretty sure you've at least pointed me in the right direction though. When I scroll with the mouse wheel the Messages log located above the Verbosity field says something about a float32_mixer module. This may be the first step I was looking for in finding a solution to this most bothersome problem. Do you have any other suggestions? Maybe another Verbosity value?

HAARP
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby HAARP » 08 Oct 2011 18:25

Also you should save 2 log files. One with the volume display working and one without it working then post them here.

dr_always
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dr_always » 08 Oct 2011 19:14

Also you should save 2 log files. One with the volume display working and one without it working then post them here.
Ah, I don't know why I didn't think of that. Here are the only two parts we're probably interested in from a much lengthier log file.

I open VLC via a .xspf playlist file, change Verbosity to 2 to enable the log, and increase volume from 100% to 150% via the mouse wheel. The white text displays four times for a few seconds per time in 12.5% increments exactly as it should. The Volume XXX % text display is working.

Working Log (excerpt):

main debug: removing module "float32_mixer"
main debug: looking for audio mixer module: 3 candidates
main debug: using audio mixer module "float32_mixer"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.420 ms - Total 0.420 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.420 ms)
freetype debug: using fontsize: 22
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.430 ms - Total 0.430 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.430 ms)
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.445 ms - Total 0.445 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.445 ms)
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.386 ms - Total 0.386 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.386 ms)
main debug: auto hidding mouse

Then I click the next option four times (I think we're beginning to see a pattern here.. it takes four videos via playlist before the Volume XXX % text disappears), and use the mouse wheel to scroll up and down a few times. The Volume XXX % text display is now invisible and not working.

Not Working Log (excerpt):

main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.420 ms - Total 0.420 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.420 ms)
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.418 ms - Total 0.418 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.418 ms)
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.451 ms - Total 0.451 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.451 ms)
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.446 ms - Total 0.446 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.446 ms)
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.437 ms - Total 0.437 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.437 ms)
main debug: VoutDisplayEvent 'mouse button' 2 t=8
main debug: VoutDisplayEvent 'mouse button' 2 t=9

The log file in full length is here. If that link doesn't work for you go here and enter the code TlRBek5USTROUzUwZUhRPQ . The beginning of the full length version is what I pasted in this post as the Working Log and the end of the full length version is the Not Working Log.

I've got my fingers crossed that something will come of this...

dr_always
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dr_always » 09 Oct 2011 12:39

(I think we're beginning to see a pattern here.. it takes four videos via playlist before the Volume XXX % text disappears)
Scratch that.. it just happened after 8-10 videos. I guess it happening twice after four videos was a coincidence.

VLC_help, can you see any conflicts in any of that log data in in my previous post? The Working Log excerpt and the Not Working Log excerpt look just about identical to me except for a few TIMER integers. What about you, HAARP? I didn't find anything pertinent to my nerve-racking problem after searching this forum and Google for different combinations of 'float32_mixer' and 'volume' queries. I'm officially stumped, and almost want to cry about it. :cry:

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 09 Oct 2011 13:21

In last step the font changes

Code: Select all

freetype debug: Using Comic Sans MS as font from file C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\comic.TTF freetype debug: using fontsize: 2
and

freetype debug: using fontsize: 21
on earlier steps, it is only

I have no clue why the font changes. But if that is one of those non-VLC compatible font's, it would explain why anything isn't drawn to OSD.

dr_always
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dr_always » 09 Oct 2011 14:22

I had changed the font setting from the default setting of Arial to Comic Sans MS. I probably should've undone this before making and posting yesterday's log to minimize confusion. A few minutes ago I used the Reset Preferences button to set all preferences, including all font preferences, back to default and then made another log to show you. Here is that log from just a few minutes ago. If that link doesn't work go here and enter TlRNME5UYzRNQzUwZUhRPQ .

To make this log I opened VLC via the same .xspf file as yesterday's log. It doesn't make any difference but I thought I would disclose that yesterday the playlist was set to random and since I had just reset preferences, today's log is with the playlist playing in sequence. Directly after opening the .xspf I scrolled up/down with the mouse wheel to make sure the Volume XXX % text display was working and it was. I then clicked the next option and scrolled the mouse wheel and the Volume XXX % text display still worked. I clicked next once more, repeated mouse wheel scroll once more, and the Volume XXX % text display had now stopped working. This is where I stopped and saved the log so the last group of lines in this log should be of the Volume XXX % text display not working. Please let me know if you can decipher anything from this new log since the font has been reset to default and the problem still persists.

Thank you so much for your help thus far, by the way!

dr_always
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dr_always » 09 Oct 2011 14:34

Hmm, I didn't examine today's log myself until after making my previous post. It seems as if the fontsize parameter which you quoted still varies between a few different values. These are 28, 2, 22, and 21. How would I go about seeking a constant fontsize value if this is the problem?

HAARP
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby HAARP » 09 Oct 2011 18:53

IDK if this well help but you can change font size under advanced settings.

tools ->preferences, check "all" under "show settings"(bottom left) ->open video drop menu ->open subtites/OSD drop menu ->select text render. (Freetype 2 font renderer will be to the right.) See here for other options -> http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation: ... /Subtitles

In regard to font size, it might have something to do with your "C:\WINDOWS\Fonts" folder since vlc is using these fonts.

dr_always
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dr_always » 10 Oct 2011 12:19

I went into Advanced Settings -> Subtitles/OSD -> Text renderer and changed fontsize from the default of 0 to a few different values and for each different value the problem remained. After taking a closer look at the Messages log I've noticed the only difference between the Volume XXX % text display working and not working is the presence of the fontsize parameter. The following lines of code are transcribed when I scroll up or down with the mouse wheel and the Volume XXX % text display is working:

main debug: removing module "float32_mixer" main debug: looking for audio mixer module: 3 candidates main debug: using audio mixer module "float32_mixer" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.478 ms - Total 0.478 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.478 ms) freetype debug: using fontsize: 28
And when not working:

main debug: removing module "float32_mixer" main debug: looking for audio mixer module: 3 candidates main debug: using audio mixer module "float32_mixer" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.509 ms - Total 0.509 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.509 ms)
This above code was extracted while fontsize was set to default via the number 0 through the Text renderer settings. VLC chose the value of 28 in the working code, not me. As you can see, the only difference between the two above pieces of code is that the Not Working code is missing the fontsize parameter completely. It doesn't matter what I change the fontsize setting to via Text renderer settings, this is what happens every time. I just spent a solid hour adjusting settings and then meticulously reading through log code, adjusting then reading, adjusting then reading, etc. and I cannot figure out why the fontsize parameter disappears!

Has a ticket been made for this? I'll continue tinkering but do either of you have any input in the meantime?

dr_always
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dr_always » 10 Oct 2011 14:05

I wouldn't call it a fix but I reverted aaaaalllllll the way back to version 1.0.5 and with this version the problem doesn't seem to exist. I've yet to put it through the 48-72 hour test but after 10mins of next'ing through my playlist it seems to be fine. To get to 1.0.5, I started with the current 1.1.11 and rolled back one by one to version 1.1.3 at which point I got tired of rolling back one by one without resolution so I skipped to 1.0.5. What kinda sucks is with most software I don't care much, but with VLC I like staying up to date. Ah well, I couldn't take much more of that OSD Volume text vanishing business and wasn't getting anywhere with the Text renderer settings.

Does anyone know if you can set VLC 1.0.5 Goldeneye to startup in Minimal View mode like you can with the later versions? I really miss that feature and don't see any option for it with 1.0.5. Also, if anyone ever finds a fix for this problem or the developers release a new version that solves this would anyone mind searching the forum for this thread and sending me a quick one-lined email at trnsparent1@gmail.com ? I doubt I'll be frequenting this forum if ever a day shall come and I would be SO grateful to you.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 10 Oct 2011 16:12

The problem is most likely somehow linked to the freetype. When the problem appears, do the pause icon (e.g. when you press space) also have this issue?

dr_always
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dr_always » 10 Oct 2011 18:30

Update: The white Volume XXX % text still disappears with version 1.0.5!!! Argh! The situation is a little better with 1.0.5 than with 1.1.11 though.. thank goodness. With 1.0.5 the Volume XXX % text will disappear on any random video file in a playlist but will then return on the next video! This is a vast improvement from 1.1.11 and the other 1.1.x versions which would have the Volume XXX % text disappear and never return on any of the subsequent videos. That drove me absolutely crazy, this 1.0.5 situation I guess I can tolerate if I must since I refuse to use any other media player. :wink:
The problem is most likely somehow linked to the freetype. When the problem appears, do the pause icon (e.g. when you press space) also have this issue?
check "all" under "show settings"(bottom left) ->open video drop menu ->open subtites/OSD drop menu ->select text render. (Freetype 2 font renderer will be to the right.)
I have a feeling you're right about the freetype since you ARE the guru, after all, and HAARP also mentioned this earlier. I see Freetype2 font renderer under Advanced Settings -> Video -> Subtitles/OSD in the Text Rendering module field and I tried this which made no affect whatsoever on the Volume XXX % text disappearing after a few videos. That was with 1.1.11 before I started rolling back release versions. EDIT: I just tried selecting Freetype2 font renderer with 1.0.5 and, just like 1.1.11, this had no affect whatsoever on the disappearing Volume XXX % text problem.

Another perk I've noticed with 1.0.5 is the problem appears less frequently than it did with 1.1.11. Using 1.0.5, I waited until the problem appeared and then pressed the space bar. Yes, the pause (and play) icon displayed just fine. I clicked next through some more videos (the Volume XXX % text reappeared in the very next video like I said) and waited for the problem to happen again to make sure that the pause icon would display again when the problem appeared again. Yup, both the pause and play icons displayed just fine once again while the Volume XXX % text would not.

Would you elaborate on the freetype, please?

HAARP
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby HAARP » 10 Oct 2011 23:17

I can't find anybody else with the same problem for any of the versions you've played and I don't have a mouse to experiment with.

Do you have some kind of tool or freeware that could be associating the mouse wheel with some other task?

dr_always
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dr_always » 10 Oct 2011 23:39

I can't find anybody else with the same problem for any of the versions you've played and I don't have a mouse to experiment with.
These two guys were/are having the exact same problem though the OP described the white bar vs me describing the Volume XXX % text (fullscreen vs windowed).
Do you have some kind of tool or freeware that could be associating the mouse wheel with some other task?
I do my best to avoid any type of bloatware so I don't think so? I do have several Windows system services disabled but I highly doubt that has anything to do with this problem. Check out that link I just pasted, I'm not the only one. Off-topic, but you must be on a laptop, and you don't have a mouse? Where the heck are you from? Heheh..

dr_always
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dr_always » 11 Oct 2011 16:36

VLC_help, I see you're making your rounds as I type this.
Pretty please?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 11 Oct 2011 16:40

Freetype is the font rendering engine used in VLC. Since OSD volume text also uses that, it explains why the volume doesn't show but pause+play show since they pause+play are image files, not text.

dr_always
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dr_always » 11 Oct 2011 16:45

Ah, from that explanation it sounds like there's about a 90% chance that the freetype engine is the culprit. Do you have any alternatives to freetype or is there anything else I can do other than try to replace the freetype engine?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 12 Oct 2011 16:26

Not for Windows builds. But some Freetype issues are fixed in VLC 1.2.0

dr_always
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dr_always » 12 Oct 2011 17:32

Hooray! I can live with 1.0.5 till 1.2.0 is released.. is there an ETA?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 13 Oct 2011 15:49

Release date hasn't been set yet.

You can test nightly builds
http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/?C=M;O=D trunks are 1.2.0

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”