1.2.0 Nightly Feedback (processor issue)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
TigerNightmare
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

1.2.0 Nightly Feedback (processor issue)

Postby TigerNightmare » 05 Jul 2011 00:39

I tried the latest stable build of 1.1 and the latest nightly 1.1 branch and they both still have that irritating hang immediately after the end of video playback in full screen, so I think I'm done with 1.1. I had been using a 1.2 nightly but was really tired of the report a crash prompt every time VLC opened, despite the complete lack of a hang or noticeable crash in the software. So today, I've been trying builds of 1.2 in the past month.

The latest build has a weird processor issue. It uses up over 25% of processor resources on my quadcore. There are no noticeable problems for this in windowed mode, but framerate severely suffers in full screen mode (for me, 1920x1080@30hz on my TV as a secondary monitor), uses about 5% more processor power and other programs take a significant performance hit. Even with vsync on, I get lots of horizontal tearing for files with a lot movement in them. I like the new blue progress bar, though.

I downloaded the trunk from June 1st and this processor problem was absent. After trying several other builds, I've pinpointed that this issue starts on the trunk from June 8th. For some reason, there were three trunks that day. The latter two (1911 and 2056) have the problem while the earliest build (0005) has no framerate issues and uses 7-15%.

Hope this helps. I'm going to be using this build for a while.
My specs:
Windows7 Professional 64bit SP1
Intel Core i7-3930K @ 3.20 GHz(6 cores)
16 GB DDR3
4 GB EVGA GTX 770

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: 1.2.0 Nightly Feedback (processor issue)

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Jul 2011 00:44

Weird, really...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”