VLC won't play .ISO files

macOS specific usage questions
jihong
New Cone
New Cone

VLC won't play .ISO files

Postby jihong » 25 Dec 2010 17:49

I just recently downloaded a few movies in .ISO format, however VLC will not play them on my mac. I continue to get this error:

No suitable decoder module
VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

Do I have to go the old fashioned way and mount the .ISO file as a virtual DVD, or is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks for any input!

jonas_kl
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC won't play .ISO files

Postby jonas_kl » 29 Dec 2010 23:03

According to this thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=84922&p=280941 UNDF is an undefined file. This may be because it is corrupted, or it is still in the process of being downloaded, and therefore vital information is missing. It is not a file type. Did maybe an error occur when uncompressing the file?

Technologicat
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 1.1.5, 1.2-git
Operating System: Mac OS, Linux

Re: VLC won't play .ISO files

Postby Technologicat » 30 Dec 2010 20:36

How to play an ISO depends on what it contains - ISO is just a disc image. That is why it's giving an "undefined file" FOURCC: it is not a video file as-is.

Try File > Open Disc. Replace the contents of the "Device Name" text box with the full path to the ISO file (e.g. /Users/xxx/my_movie.ISO). Depending on whether the source of the movie is DVD or VCD, choose the appropriate option on the left.

I sometimes use this for watching my DVDs on the go (it's convenient - no need to dig up the DVD drive for the netbook).

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”