Video stops, playback doesn't respond & can't quit.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
videobruce
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: v3.0.6 Portable
Operating System: Win7 (unfortunately)

Video stops, playback doesn't respond & can't quit.

Postby videobruce » 29 Nov 2010 19:07

Access to the menu entries works, but transport controls do not. Task manager shows program "Responding". The only way to close is to stop the process thru TM.

It also appears that the audio continues to play, but the video stops.

XP pro w/sp3
VLC V1.1.5.

Frogon
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Video stops, playback doesn't respond & can't quit.

Postby Frogon » 30 Nov 2010 07:34

I have the same OS and same exact problem, it seems that some other people do as well;
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=84874
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=84880

videobruce
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby videobruce » 30 Nov 2010 13:30

This just started happening after I customized the toolbar. I used the self install zip version, installed it on my laptop, then copied that folder to my tower PC. At the time I didn't know the program uses that damn Doc. & Set. folder for three additional files including the .ini file. Those were re-created after I ran the transfered program on the tower PC.

I delete all three of those files and let the program re-create them again, but the problem remained. I have noticed the audio continues to play as does the time line, but the video freezes/ I can stop the playback, but can't resume it again, nor close the program. All the menu functions do respond.

I never saw this behavior with any program before. A video screen lockup & the inability not to close the program before. :?:

Scrappy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Scrappy » 30 Nov 2010 20:11

I've just installed this version on a fresh PC (as in, it has never had VLC installed on it before) and it is freezing on that PC too.

Rolling back to a previous version solved the problem.

Please fix.

MikeCheck
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MikeCheck » 01 Dec 2010 04:57

I am seeing the same issue here. I used the self-extracting installer. I can't watch any videos now (I've only attempted with different avi files).

It plays for a few seconds, but the video freezes shortly after. The sound keeps playing. I can't exit. I have to kill the vlc process in order to do anything.

videobruce
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby videobruce » 01 Dec 2010 13:30

Questions;
1. Which version are you running (standard installer or self installed 'zip' version)?
2. What version of Windows? (thou I don't think it matters)
3. Have you edited the toolbar? Does the 'DVD Menu' (three buttons together) button disappear even thou it shows in the 'Customize Interface' screen?
4. Which video format was used (thou I don't think this matters either)?
5. How about audio tracks, are they ok?
6. Can those four files that are buried under Docs & Settings be moved where they really should be in the program folder?? BTW, what are those extension-less files anyway?

Observations;
A. It's only video files, audio isn't affected. It doesn't appear to matter what type of video,
B. The video freezes after three seconds, but the audio continues,
C. Once it happens, it's corrupted, it will always happen with a video file, but not audio unless you un-install and re-install the program,
D. It doesn't seem to matter which O/S you are using, or if it is the installer, or self install version,
E. The program appears to work ok until you edit the toolbar and/or resize the screen and/or reposition the window on the desktop. These were the circumstances I found that seem to cause the problem. I have been editing the "Modern" style toolbars, I haven't tried the others yet.

MikeCheck
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MikeCheck » 03 Dec 2010 04:34

I used the self-extracting installer and I haven't touched any of the settings/toolbars. I completely uninstalled and wiped out preferences/cache before reinstalling. I am still getting this every time I try to play a video with 1.1.5.

MikeCheck
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MikeCheck » 05 Dec 2010 21:45

I updated my video driver and things seem to be working now. I recommend giving this a try.

MikeCheck
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MikeCheck » 06 Dec 2010 05:44

Actually, it apparently didn't fix it. It made the video play for longer (a couple minutes compared to a couple seconds), but I'm still seeing the same issue.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”