Compiling under windows

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
quu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Compiling under windows

Postby quu » 05 Aug 2010 07:07

I want to tinker around with things a bit, see if i can get the skins and the HTML interface to do what I want. So I am trying to setup a build env on my machine (windows vista 64)

Normally I use Eclipse/Ant/Java for my development work. I have coded with c/c++ a long time ago (10+ years), so I am trying to follow the directions exactly to get a working compile first, before I tinker with anything.

I am following the directions at
http://wiki.videolan.org/Win32CompileMSYSNew
(I added a line to the wiki to add the C:\MinGW\bin to the path, I learned that via IRC)
(I also corrected the URL for the coreutils as the URL changed slightly since it was last edited)

I went through and followed the directions exactly (with two options... I actually installed the core utils, instead of making the fake whoami and hostname... and I am using git to get the newest VLC code)

when i got to the bootstrap section of "Build VLC", I ran the commands, but got the following

Code: Select all

Patrick@QUUTAR ~/vlc $ PATH=/usr/win32/bin:$PATH ./bootstrap ++ dirname ./bootstrap + cd . + ACLOCAL_ARGS='-I m4 ' + test -d extras/contrib/build/bin ++ uname -s + test .MINGW32_NT-6.0 = .Darwin + pkg-config --version + PKGCONFIG=yes + export AUTOPOINT + test '' + AUTOPOINT=autopoint + autopoint --dry-run --force + AUTOPOINT=true + echo + set +x generating modules/**/Makefile.am ............................................................................ + echo + echo + cp -f INSTALL INSTALL.git + autoreconf --install --force --verbose -I m4 autoreconf: Entering directory `.' autoreconf: running: true --force autoreconf: running: aclocal --force -I m4 /usr/share/aclocal/autoopts.m4:22: warning: underquoted definition of AG_PATH_AUTOOPTS /usr/share/aclocal/autoopts.m4:22: run info '(automake)Extending aclocal' /usr/share/aclocal/autoopts.m4:22: or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal ' is already registered with AC_CONFIG_FILES. /usr/src/autoconf/autoconf-2.63/lib/autoconf/status.m4:305: AC_CONFIG_FILES is expanded from... /usr/share/aclocal-1.11/cond-if.m4:39: AM_COND_IF is expanded from... configure.ac:4780: the top level autom4te: /bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1 C:\msys\1.0\bin\aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 1 autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1
When i asked on IRC, i was told "autoconf devel not correctly installed"
but I downloaded the autoconf-2.63-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar.lzma file and extracted it into the C:\Msys\1.0 directory

Code: Select all

Patrick@QUUTAR /usr/share $ ls aclocal aclocal-1.11 aclocal-1.7 autoconf autogen automake-1.11 automake-1.7 doc file guile libtool locale vim
I know I am doing something wrong, I just don't know what.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Compiling under windows

Postby VLC_help » 05 Aug 2010 16:27

autoconf-devel is different than autoconf.

quu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby quu » 05 Aug 2010 19:15

i have no file or directory called autoconf-devel and have followed the directions on the wiki link above

what do I need to do? When i google for autoconf-devel all i find are cygwin references

quu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby quu » 06 Aug 2010 18:11

i am wondering if it would be easier to build a second machine, throw debian on it, add samba and just build on there. I could mount my home directory of the linux box as a drive on my windows box via samba. then when I do builds, just use putty instead of msys. As long as it is inside my local network, i don't have to worry about the security of samba on the open internet.

quu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby quu » 06 Aug 2010 19:02

I need to spend more time on IRC
J-B recommended I use http://www.virtualbox.org to setup linux on my machine. I can then do the easier linux build process, with out needing more hardware (My wife was going to kill me, I already have three computers in my den, adding a fourth would have been... a bit much)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Aug 2010 20:13

Take an ubuntu. And compile it.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Titanic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Titanic » 16 Sep 2010 12:32

I have exactly the same problem. Does somebody have a solution to get it work in a MinGW environment on Windows?

rogerdpack
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: windows

Postby rogerdpack » 01 Oct 2010 00:59

did you follow the "bootstrap" instructions, (cp -v /usr/win32/share/aclocal/* m4/ et al)?

Titanic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Titanic » 01 Oct 2010 08:30

Yes, I followed the bootstrap procedure from the wiki:
cp -v /usr/win32/share/aclocal/* m4/
cp -v /usr/share/aclocal/* m4/
PATH=/usr/win32/bin:$PATH ./bootstrap

Still get this error if I'm working on the master tree (vlc 1.2 git).

Tools versions:
automake: 1.11
autoconf: 2.63
libtool: 2.2.7a
pkg-config: 0.23
GCC: (TDM-2 mingw32) 4.4.1

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”