VLC windows dimension change between DVD chapters

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
dmdevito
New Cone
New Cone

VLC windows dimension change between DVD chapters

Postby dmdevito » 24 May 2009 18:23

Hi,

I have watched a DVD yesterday (Hellboy 2) and for every new chapter VLC started, its windows shrinked. Each time I maximized the windows size, and each time, at the beginning of a new chapter, this windows shrinked to the "normal" size.

I use Windows VISTA and VLC RC1.

IMHO it's a bug.

Regards,
Dominique

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC windows dimension change between DVD chapters

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 24 May 2009 23:19

VLC RC1 ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

dmdevito
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dmdevito » 25 May 2009 01:42

VLC media player 1.0.0-rc1 Goldeneye

Eatchipz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Eatchipz » 04 Jun 2009 22:57

I have got the same in

VLC media player 1.0.0-rc1 Goldeneye
VLC media player 1.0.0-rc2 Goldeneye
VLC media player 1.1.0

I am guessing it is a bug?

hayabusa994
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hayabusa994 » 13 Jul 2009 02:11

I am also experiencing this issue after updating. At each new chapter point, it resizes the window back to the default launch size.

I am using Windows XP Pro SP3.
VLC media player 1.0.0 Goldeneye.

hayabusa994
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hayabusa994 » 30 Jul 2009 03:29

Upgraded to VLC media plater 1.0.1 Goldeneye, issue remains.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 30 Jul 2009 10:07

Force the window to not resize in preferences.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

stefanwolf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stefanwolf » 30 Jul 2009 10:32

Where exactly is that preference to disable automatic resizing? I can't find anything that seems to fit.

I'm experiencing the same problem (using Vista Home Premium SP2, latest VLC) and it makes VLC almost unusable. If there's in fact a setting then the default (change window size while playing although the user wants a different size ) is pretty nonsense. I can't even think of a situation where this size switching makes sense so definitely it's not the default expected behaviour.

Stefan.

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Postby erwan10 » 30 Jul 2009 14:24

uncheck "Resize Interface to video Size" on the first panel of tools / preferences menu item (for qt4 Windows or Linux)

Once it's unchecked, you can resize as you wish and this size will be saved across session.

Erwan10

stefanwolf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stefanwolf » 30 Jul 2009 14:56

Thanks so much -- would never have tried this one as I always run in "minimal mode" (key "H") so I thought I don't have an interface at all.

Works for me now!

SneakyOne
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SneakyOne » 13 Jan 2010 06:56

I'm trying to watch '9' on DVD, but I'm also having the 'auto-resize every chapter'. It's horribly irritating! I've updated the player, and unchecked the 'resize interface to video size' option, but it's not working. Help please?

SneakyOne
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SneakyOne » 13 Jan 2010 06:58

Bah, noob moment. Using Windows Vista, too.

dnarun2
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dnarun2 » 11 Mar 2010 15:14

Any new info on this topic? I'm having the same issue. DVD is Forbidden Kingdom (Region 1 - US) on WinXP Pro SP3 using Goldeneye 1.0.5 - just downloaded and installed today.

Thanks!

gencon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gencon » 20 May 2010 15:15

Using VLC 1.0.6 Goldeneye (Linux/Ubuntu-Lucid/Gnome)

The VLC window auto-resizing on DVD chapter change is more complex than j-b's suggested solution "force the window to not resize in preferences".

All of the time I want VLC to load a video with its actual size and so I keep 'Resize interface to video size' in preferences ticked on. Then if I wish to resize it I do. That's fine when playing a xVid/Divx/H264/Etc video regardless of container (avi/mkv/mp4/Etc) there are no auto-resize issues when PLAYING (they appear to be a DVD chapter change only problem).

But when a DVD is playing, if I resize it then VLC auto-resizes the video back to its original size on every time you reach a new chapter both when playing and when a new chapter is manually selected with buttons or menu. The apparent solution is to start a DVD playing, pause it, go to preferences, untick 'Resize interface to video size', save preferences, and resume playing the video. BUT this does not have the desired effect, the preference change is ignored until you exit VLC and restart it. So then you have to exit VLC, restart it, and load the DVD again, and remember to change the preference back again before you exit.

MKV/H264 files which have chapters encoded in them have a slightly different problem. When playing a resized video (and 'Resize interface to video size' is still ticked) when a new chapter is reached while playing then there is no auto-resize, but if you click the next or previous chapter button (or change the chapter using the 'playback' menu) then the video auto-resizes.

The situation is further complicated by the menu Video->Zoom feature (1:4, 1:2, 1:1, 2:1). These only work when 'Resize interface to video size' is ticked, so if that has been unticked and VLC restarted, to get around the DVD chapter resize problem, then you have no way of setting the video to its original size and using that as a 'image quality base' for your resizing.

The solution is two-fold:

1) Stop VLC from auto-resizing DVD and other files on chapter change, regardless of how the chapter is reached (during playback or by manually changing). Leave auto-resizing as active when a new video is loaded from a playlist (if 'Resize interface to video size' is ticked).

2) Make the Video->Zoom feature work regardless of the status of 'Resize interface to video size'.

In addition the Video menu could be enhanced with an 'Auto-Resize On/Off toggle' item, which has immediate effect (no restart necessary). This would allow users to control their video playing more easily according to their personal preference. If this also had a Hotkey, and a configurable Toolbar element then so much the better.

HTH. I should say that VLC is awesome, I love it, and this is my only gripe. :)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 20 May 2010 16:42

Fixed in VLC 1.1.0
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

gencon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gencon » 20 May 2010 17:22

Fixed in VLC 1.1.0
Thanks for the info. j-b.

When is v. 1.1.0 going to be released or is it available? I had a look but could not find it on the site anywhere.

I'm using Linux/Ubuntu-Lucid and the repository version is: "1.0.6-1ubuntu1.1 (vlc)"

Thanks again.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”