VLC will not play a DVD via autoplay

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
bschie
New Cone
New Cone

VLC will not play a DVD via autoplay

Postby bschie » 02 Mar 2010 05:51

Hello,

I've been using VLC for years and I love it but I am having a slight problem at the moment...

I just reformatted my comp due to my evaluation ending for Windows 7 so I reinstalled Windows 7 64-bit and installed VLC 1.0.5. If I enter a DVD or mount a DVD image and choose to play the DVD with VLC in the autoplay options, nothing happens. If I right click on my clone drive or BD-rom and choose to play the DVD, it works fine. If I open VLC and open the image or disc from there it works fine... just not through auto play

The work around I found was backing down to 0.9.8 (I really do love www.oldversion.com :) ).

Any thoughts?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: VLC will not play a DVD via autoplay

Postby VLC_help » 02 Mar 2010 19:14

Code: Select all

WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlers\PlayDVDMovieOnArrival" "VLCPlayDVDMovieOnArrival" "" WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayDVDMovieOnArrival" "Action" $Action_OnArrivalDVD WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayDVDMovieOnArrival" "DefaultIcon" '"$INSTDIR\vlc.exe",0' WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayDVDMovieOnArrival" "InvokeProgID" "VLC.DVDMovie" WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayDVDMovieOnArrival" "InvokeVerb" "play" WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayDVDMovieOnArrival" "Provider" "VideoLAN VLC media player" WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlers\PlayCDAudioOnArrival" "VLCPlayCDAudioOnArrival" "" WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayCDAudioOnArrival" "Action" $Action_OnArrivalAudioCD WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayCDAudioOnArrival" "DefaultIcon" '"$INSTDIR\vlc.exe",0' WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayCDAudioOnArrival" "InvokeProgID" "VLC.CDAudio" WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayCDAudioOnArrival" "InvokeVerb" "play" WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayCDAudioOnArrival" "Provider" "VideoLAN VLC media player"
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=bl ... bf;hb=HEAD

Code: Select all

WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlers\PlayDVDMovieOnArrival" "VLCPlayDVDMovieOnArrival" "" WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayDVDMovieOnArrival" "Action" $Action_OnArrivalDVD WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayDVDMovieOnArrival" "DefaultIcon" '"$INSTDIR\vlc.exe",0' WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayDVDMovieOnArrival" "InvokeProgID" "VLC.DVDMovie" WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayDVDMovieOnArrival" "InvokeVerb" "play" WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayDVDMovieOnArrival" "Provider" "VideoLAN VLC media player" WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlers\PlayCDAudioOnArrival" "VLCPlayCDAudioOnArrival" "" WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayCDAudioOnArrival" "Action" $Action_OnArrivalAudioCD WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayCDAudioOnArrival" "DefaultIcon" '"$INSTDIR\vlc.exe",0' WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayCDAudioOnArrival" "InvokeProgID" "VLC.CDAudio" WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayCDAudioOnArrival" "InvokeVerb" "play" WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\VLCPlayCDAudioOnArrival" "Provider" "VideoLAN VLC media player"
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc/vlc-0.9. ... 0ad68dfea2

They seem to be identical. So I am guessing both "InvokeVerb" sections should be changed to "open". Could you try that with VLC 1.0.5?

vaderag
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vaderag » 03 Mar 2010 12:22

Well, since nobody got back to you and I had the same issue, I have tried this change and it worked... kind of.

This now opens VLC, but does not begin playing the dvd; this still requires clicking play...

Ideally I would like the dvd to automatically play once inserted.
Any ideas?

Thanks

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 03 Mar 2010 17:01

vaderag: does VLC complain something in Tools -> Messages...?

vaderag
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vaderag » 03 Mar 2010 17:05

I'll have a look when i get in (2hours), but with the default settings (before i change to open instead of play in the registry) it doesnt even open VLC!

vaderag
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vaderag » 03 Mar 2010 19:14

Okay, very oddly, it's now working fine.
Not going to complain, but still wierd that it's just started!!!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 04 Mar 2010 23:29

Thanks. I will submit the patch to mailing list.

tscharlii
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tscharlii » 09 Apr 2010 07:55

I had the same issue as the thread starter. I'd like to confirm, that changing the InvokeVerb from play to open fixed the problem using vlc 1.05 and Windows 7 professional 64-bit.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 09 Apr 2010 16:59

This should be fixed in 1.1.0

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”