Matroska Chapters

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
askforhelp

Matroska Chapters

Postby askforhelp » 15 Jan 2005 06:19

To All:

Does anybody have chapters in a Matroska (.mkv) file working? (video: xvid, audio: ac3). VLC (0.8.1) will correctly detect the chapters that exist, but when I try to navigate to them ... the time is restarted back to 0:00 (which is not correct). MediaPlayer Classic played the same file and it handled chapters without a problem. Thanks for the help.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 16 Jan 2005 23:46

Could you please upload a sample to ftp://streams.videolan.org/incoming
Accompany it with a textfile describing origins, problems and uncommenailities of the file.

thank you.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

joseph5
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby joseph5 » 17 Jan 2005 23:01

I also have this problem with Matroska files(divx video/ogg audio/srt subtitles).

I'm using Windows 2000.

huldrych
New Cone
New Cone

again: matroska chapters

Postby huldrych » 09 Feb 2005 22:45

Hello everybody. With "GordianKnot" I'm converting MPEG2-Files into MKV-Files. Now I tried to add chapters with "mkvtoolnix" to an already existing MKV-File. VLC loads the file, but I don't know how to jump to the particular chapters. In the menu-bar of VLC the option "navigation" is empty and with the button ">>" only the speed increases.
Another question: having loaded an MKV-file with VLC I moving forward in the film with the "scroll-bar". At the new position the picture of the current position merges with the last picture before moving in a kind of "block building". It looks very strange at first. And after two or three second the new picture is clear. Is that usual?
Thanks for your help!

robUx4
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Windows

Re: again: matroska chapters

Postby robUx4 » 10 Feb 2005 10:08

Hello everybody. With "GordianKnot" I'm converting MPEG2-Files into MKV-Files. Now I tried to add chapters with "mkvtoolnix" to an already existing MKV-File. VLC loads the file, but I don't know how to jump to the particular chapters. In the menu-bar of VLC the option "navigation" is empty and with the button ">>" only the speed increases.
You should have a "Title 0" menu (when you right-click on the video for example). And in that menu the chapters with their names. But as mentioned above seeking simply doesn't work. I'll try to investigate why.
Another question: having loaded an MKV-file with VLC I moving forward in the film with the "scroll-bar". At the new position the picture of the current position merges with the last picture before moving in a kind of "block building". It looks very strange at first. And after two or three second the new picture is clear. Is that usual?
Thanks for your help!
That's the way VLC works. I might change the way seeking is done by only seeking on keyframes, this way you'll avoid such problems. The drawback is that you can only seek on a few (1 out of 100 ?) frames.

Postby Guest » 11 Feb 2005 11:47

Thank you very much for the detailled information. Obviously there are still many things to learn. Thanx.

huldrych
New Cone
New Cone

Postby huldrych » 11 Feb 2005 11:49

Oops. I forgot to lock in before writing the reply. The thanx was mine!

BkT

Postby BkT » 29 Mar 2005 09:50

Hi, i have the same problem with win32 0.8.1 version. Choosing a chapter, the video comes back to "00:00:00" !?
Thanks and good job !

robUx4
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Windows

Postby robUx4 » 29 Mar 2005 10:11

Most of the problems regarding chapters and seeking in Matroska are solved in nightly builds.

littlewhoo

Postby littlewhoo » 25 May 2005 09:23

Thanks. In the VLC 0.8.2-test1 beta the selection of Matroska chapter is working.
Just two small bugs. When pressing the "Next chapter" button at the bottom right hand side of the LVC window, nothing happens. When pressing the "Menu" button, also the the bottom right hand side of the VLC window, VLC is crashing with the error message "unknown software exception (0x0000094) occoured at 00x008b4c91.
But selecting the chapters form "Navigation -> Chapters" is working as expected.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”