vlc as a cam?

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
camtist
New Cone
New Cone

vlc as a cam?

Postby camtist » 12 Mar 2008 18:50

hi there,

can anyone tell me if it is possible to set up vlc acting like a webCam on a win-system?
e.g. initiate a stream-output to a (virtual) wdm-device, which (probably) has to be installed in the win-os previously so that another application (like a video-editing-software) is able to receive that stream via cam-capturing.

have you heard about any solution (virtual interface) out there supporting the described wdm cam-functionality?

thanks a lot!

cheers,
camtist

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Re: vlc as a cam?

Postby Arite » 12 Mar 2008 19:13

The VLVC project is a plugin for VLC which has additional features for video conferencing:
http://www.vlvc.net/en-home.html

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

johansyd
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby johansyd » 13 Mar 2008 09:55

Yeah! You probably can, but I am not sure what you are asking for. Strictly speaking. Vlc isn't a webcam and what do you mean by stream output to a viritual wdm device. This is slightly confusing.

Here is an example of input from webcam showing in vlc trough the comandline:

http://musa.poperbu.net/index.php?optio ... =1&lang=en

Dusty_Monk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dusty_Monk » 14 May 2009 19:09

I need this functionality too. There is other software available that will do this e.g. www.manycam.com
Many software apps will only use a WDM virtual device as a source. It would be great to be able to stream to a virtual WDM with VLC so that that the other software can use VLC's output as a source.

An example of use would be to stream to a WDM that is the cource used by Flash Media Live Encoder. Thereby streaming rtmp.

tigris
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tigris » 13 Jun 2009 17:24

I would need the same... I was looking for a sw that could stream a video through WDM, so other programs could "see" this source as a WDM capture device. So, for example there is a file or a streaming broadcast I would like to use, say in my messenger. There is a TV capture card and a webcam already installed on my PC, so I can choose from these, when I setup the IM to send a live cast, for example for a chat. What I'd need is a program (and so far I couldn't find anything, other than VLC) and a plugin or some functionality to be able to broadcast a movie or relay a broadcast, that would appear amongst the WDM sources. Any suggestions? VLC plugin or other ideas?

tigris
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tigris » 13 Jun 2009 17:31

So, what I DO NOT need is:
1, any WDM capture plugins... I need WDM as an_output_from_VLC, not an input to VLC!
2, any streaming ideas... I'm aware that VLC is able to stream audio/video via lots of protocols, but the emphasis is not on broadcasting, but local capturing! WDM is the way I'd need to do it.

tigris
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tigris » 14 Jun 2009 04:06

Checked out manycam, and works like charm! Also it's free.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”