Vlc hangs with Fbi-Warning

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
grande elan
New Cone
New Cone

Vlc hangs with Fbi-Warning

Postby grande elan » 14 Mar 2009 18:46

Hi, as the title says, my Vlc hangs with Fbi-Warning.
Happens when I play VideoTs or Dvd.
Version 0.9.8a - Vista64
The same happened with earlier versions and also on my laptop with XP.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Vlc hangs with Fbi-Warning

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Mar 2009 19:15

Try no dvd menus.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

grande elan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby grande elan » 14 Mar 2009 20:32

Try no dvd menus.
I have tried that.
The only way to access the film is to open each Vob-file alone but this is pretty annoying.
I have that problem only with some films. And sometimes it just takes 1/2 minute and the film starts.
It looks like this:

And nothing seems to help.

Am I the only one with this problem?
Last edited by grande elan on 15 Mar 2009 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

Ddun
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ddun » 15 Mar 2009 05:17

same thing happens to me....what i do is go to the scene selection screen and click the 2nd chapter and then just move the time back to 0:00:00 so it essentially skips the fbi warnings

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 15 Mar 2009 10:15

Does it help if you rip the movie to hard drive?

grande elan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby grande elan » 15 Mar 2009 12:29

Does it help if you rip the movie to hard drive?
No!

grande elan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby grande elan » 15 Mar 2009 13:20

same thing happens to me....what i do is go to the scene selection screen and click the 2nd chapter and then just move the time back to 0:00:00 so it essentially skips the fbi warnings
I can't even access the scene-selection.

jmalmsten
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jmalmsten » 16 Mar 2009 01:38

This has been a nagging problem the last months or so that has sortof grown in nuisance...
Grande Elan, thou aren't alone...

Basically, for me at least, this mostly applies to newer dvd's. And of those new dvd's it's always those that begin with a language-selection-menu. I select a language, the "FBI warning" (or any of it's many equivalents) displays and VLC stops responding. VLC won't let me skip this with the navigation-functions in the program (they are always greyed out). And if I try playing the DVD without menus it hangs and gives a standard non-descript error message:

Code: Select all

Your input can't be opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvdsimple://G:\'. Check the log for details.
I've been working around this problem by simply using other players as Cyberlink PowerDVD and Media Player Classic. But since both of them lacks several of the features I love in VLC like easy-cropping (several of my DVD's are un-matted fullscreen editions that just needs a simple crop to get the right Aspect Ratio). And the much more leaner workflow of VLC is something I rather not abandon if I can help it.

Now, we're at least 3 that has experienced this problem... is there a solution?

If it helps, I'm sitting on an AMD64 XP SP3 machine with .NET installed and VLC 0.9.8a (the problem existed at least 6 months ago and I have been keeping up with the software-updates of VLC). There's nothing wrong with the discs, they play just fine in any other player than VLC

EDIT: The "log" that the errormessage refers to... or watchamacallit the "messages" option under "tools" provides this when I try the "no menu" option:

Code: Select all

main info: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface. dvdread error: DvdReadSetArea(0,0,1) failed (can't decrypt DVD?) main error: no access module matched "dvdsimple" main error: open of `dvdsimple://G:\' failed: could not create access: no access module matched "dvdsimple"
And when I try to play it "with" menu... it's just blank.

nikola23
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 1.2 pre3
Operating System: Win7\Ubuntu 10.10

Postby nikola23 » 16 Mar 2009 01:46

I've also seen the problem on the 1.0.0 nightlies on osx also I've tried playing from an unencrypted ISO and the problem persisted.

flicVLC
New Cone
New Cone

Postby flicVLC » 16 Mar 2009 10:10

Same problem with Silly Simphonies unencrypted ISO my friend.
On the other hand VLC doesn't show first menu screen useful to change language at startup anymore.

:(

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 16 Mar 2009 10:59

dvdsimple is broken in 0.9.8a, so it doesn't work. And some newer movies use added copy protection stuff and VLC cannot play those movies correctly. Only option with those movies is to rip them to hard drive using tools like AnyDVD or DVDfab decrypter and then play them with VLC.

jmalmsten
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jmalmsten » 20 Feb 2010 03:27

As an update on my status on this... I've managed to get most dvd's to work now... it's a bit of a workaround...

Basically I have three installed DVD-players, two IDE and one SATA. And when they act up when playing discs, I just have to try another of the drives. One usually works fine. The obvious deduction would be that it's a region-code thing. But it's too random for that. One R2 disc may work in the drive 1, while another may only work in drive 3. And the third disc, a R1, only works in drive 2 and 1... It's just not predictable. But it sortof works I guess...

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 20 Feb 2010 17:30

It helps if you remove %appdata%\dvdcss folder?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”