Transcode ripped DVD with 0.8?

Old forum that is now archived. Please use one of the other forums.
patniemeyer
New Cone
New Cone

Transcode ripped DVD with 0.8?

Postby patniemeyer » 11 Nov 2004 23:41

I was pleased to see that with VLC 0.8 on OSX it looks like I can now transcode a ripped DVD... by playing the video_ts folder with the special output options. I have two (and a half) questions:

1) Is there any way to do this under Windows? I tried the wizard, but it doesn't seem to work. There is also no explicit way to select a video_ts folder, which makes me think that's why it's now working (I have to open it implicitly with drag & drop...). When I try it VLC always crashes.

1.5) Why is the Windows interface different from the OSX interface? (Just curious)

2) Is it possible (under OSX at least) to select all the options necessary to do this from the command line? I see the media URL syntax and switch for subtitles (looks like)... but how about specifying the output file?

Thanks! VLC is just fantastic and a great service to the community.
Pat Niemeyer
Author of Learning Java, O'Reilly & Associates and the BeanShell Java Scripting language.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 12 Nov 2004 12:18

1: Well it should work (commandline for sure) Though i personally have never tested that.

1.5: Windows and Linux have a common wxWindows interface. Unfortunatly wxWindows on OSX is not yet a match for true OS X widgets. So we have a seperate interface for that. Keeping both interfaces exactly in sync is a lot of work. Since linux/windows have more developers, they are usually ahead a bit. (But OSX is better of course :) )

2: VLC shares commandline syntax on all platforms. VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC --longhelp --advanced shows ALL the options.
See the documentation for example usage.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Postby Guest » 12 Nov 2004 17:24

Thanks for the reply. I think a lot of people would be interested in this, as there are currently no good free (or even pay) options for encoding DVDs with control over subtitles.

I tried a few things naively, but with no luck. e.g.:

VLC --sout-transcode-vcodec mp4v --sout-file-append movie.mp4 dvd:MY_MOVIE@2:1

But I don't think I'm using the file append option correctly... it doesn't seem to take an argument. And no matter what I do from the command line it seems to bring up the GUI. I guess I need to specify a "file output" interface or something?

If anyone has an example of this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Pat

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 13 Nov 2004 11:21

Read documentation (VideoLAN-HOWTO)

and for commandline only on OSX use VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/clivlc
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Return to “VideoLAN”