problem with multiple instances of ActiveX in web pages

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
cjcantero
New Cone
New Cone

problem with multiple instances of ActiveX in web pages

Postby cjcantero » 10 Apr 2008 12:01

Hi,

I'm developing a web application that lets to the user play multiple videos (RTP/UDP live streaming) simultaneously in the same page. One user can chose 1, 4, 9 or 16 videos a time, but i have some problems with it. Logically I have 16 ActiveX instances in my web page (that I hide or show according to the user selection).

When I close or refresh the application, the browser crash (IE and Firefox). Some times, when I invoke the playItem method, the browser crash too.
I detect that the probability that it happens is greater when some video has been played. This situation makes the application very unstable.

Maybe, 16 activeX are too activeX in a page but i dont know another way to do something similar.

This is my code for include vlc objects:

Code: Select all

<OBJECT classid="clsid:9BE31822-FDAD-461B-AD51-BE1D1C159921" codebase="http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/latest/win32/axvlc.cab#Version=0,8,6,0" id="video0" events="True"> <param name="MRL" value="" /> <param name="ShowDisplay" value="True" /> <param name="AutoLoop" value="False" /> <param name="AutoPlay" value="False" /> <param name="Volume" value="50" /> <param name="StartTime" value="0" /> <EMBED pluginspage="http://www.videolan.org" type="application/x-vlc-plugin" progid="VideoLAN.VLCPlugin.2" name="video0" width="1" height="1"> </EMBED> </OBJECT>

Can anybody help me?

Thanks a lot

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: problem with multiple instances of ActiveX in web pages

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 12 Apr 2008 09:23

Known bug. Help us fixing it.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

cbouleau
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cbouleau » 14 Apr 2008 18:23

Hi,
Known bug. Help us fixing it.
Is this problem the same one which occurs with a standalone application based upon libvlc too ?
In this case, does the 0.8.6e version fix it ?

Chris B.

howdini
New Cone
New Cone

Postby howdini » 19 Apr 2008 08:45

I'm using the latest libvlc.dll for vlc 0.8.6f and i still get the same problem when using multiple vlc controls in c#. Its hard to pinpoint the cause because each time a different control hangs. There is no logical pattern to it. The only piece of the puzzle i have solved is that turning off the hardware overlay (hardware accelaration) in the system settings seems to deal with the problem perfectly. Only issue is that now the picture quality is terrible.
Maybe we should focus our attention on that to fix it.

howdini
New Cone
New Cone

Postby howdini » 19 Apr 2008 09:39

GREAT!!!
Found a temporary solution for those in need ....
Vlc has an option "--no-overlay" which will deal with this problem. This will help you overcome the hardware overlay limitations but still maintain great image quality. For those using VLCusercontrol in c#, this can be added to the NativeLibVLC.cs file under the Initialize() method. I have tested it with multiple vlcControls and it works.

Return to “Web and scripting”