Choppy flickering video on tv-out

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
wolly_a
New Cone
New Cone

Choppy flickering video on tv-out

Postby wolly_a » 21 Mar 2008 23:21

I know there are about a million of topics about choppy, jerky, stuttering video, i've seen them all, but haven't found a solution yet. Maybe there is someone out there who can help me with my problem.

I am trying to play video with VLC, but the video doesn't run smooth on my tv-out. I tried all kinds of videocards, to be shure there are no issues with the hardware (i tried Nvidea, ATi and Matrox G550 en Pharelia)... I tried all kinds of video, like MPEG2, raw AVI en DV AVI. The DV AVI for instance is raw video material captured with Adobe Premiere.

The best example that i have is a moving white text on a solid black background (raw dv avi created with Adobe After Effects). The video looks like it hops back- and forward a few frames the whole time. When i play that same video in for example Media Player Classic, there are no problems. The video plays smooth and well.

Small (small resolution) commercial videoclips (MPEG1 and MOV) seem to play better. I have tried nightly builds, with no result.

I want to use VLC, because it's capability of playing all kinds of video, without spending ours to find the right codecs and it's a fast running and stable program. I also love the smooth transition between two video's.

Any suggestions??? Anyone??? PLEASE!!!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Choppy flickering video on tv-out

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Mar 2008 23:48

Is the problem on transition between videos ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 22 Mar 2008 16:35

Have you tried changing video output module or disabling overlay video output?

wolly_a
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wolly_a » 26 Mar 2008 09:49

I tried lots of things, different hardware en different settings...

Video will play a little better sometimes with audio- en video output module set to directX, but it isn't super... Strange thing... Sometimes it runs a little smoother, but not always... The problem is during the whole video.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 26 Mar 2008 17:04

Do you have AGP cards? If so, have you installed latest chipset drivers (AGP/GART driver is enough)?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”