DirectShow/TV Tuner Issues & Questions

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
HyperHacker
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 0.8.6e
Operating System: WinXP SP2

DirectShow/TV Tuner Issues & Questions

Postby HyperHacker » 05 Mar 2008 03:18

I got a TV tuner card and I was able to get it working in VLC, but the process is a bit of a pain. Most of the parameters can be set through the "Advanced Options" on the "Open Capture Device" dialog. I've got this so far:

Code: Select all

dshow:// :dshow-vdev="" :dshow-adev="none" :dshow-size="" :dshow-caching=50 :dshow-chroma="YUY2" :dshow-fps=0.000000 :dshow-config :no-dshow-tuner :dshow-tuner-channel=0 :dshow-tuner-country=0 :dshow-tuner-input=0 :dshow-video-input=2 :dshow-audio-input=-1 :dshow-video-output=0 :dshow-audio-output=-1
The problem is there's still a few settings I have to manually specify every time in the (three!) Device Properties dialogs that pop up. On the first one, the brightness under "Video Proc Amp" needs to be changed, and on the second, the frame rate needs to be changed. Is there something I can add to this string to set these options automatically so I don't have to do it through these dialogs? I see "dshow-fps", but if I change that, I get a "could not open dshow://" message.

Also, is there a way to specify this string on the command line, so I could make a shortcut to it?

Another issue I found was with the chroma settings and resolution. The only way I've managed to get a decent result is to use YUY2 at 320x240. Most other settings result in what looks like a severely interlaced image. If I try to apply the de-interlace filter it completely stops showing video, even all the options under the Video menu disappear, like if it were just playing an audio file. If I turn on the extended GUI and enable image adjustment, it crashes.
[ PC: WXP Pro SP2 | 1GB RAM | 250GB HD | 256MB Radeon 9550 | 1.7ghz AMD Sempron | VLC 0.8.6e (wxWidgets) ]
[ Laptop: Gateway MX7515 | WXP Pro SP2 | 1GB RAM | 100GB HD | 128MB Mobility Radeon X600 | 2.6ghz AMD Athlon | VLC 0.8.6e (wxWidgets) ]

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: DirectShow/TV Tuner Issues & Questions

Postby VLC_help » 05 Mar 2008 17:21

Hvae you tried nightly builds?
http://nightlies.videolan.org/

HyperHacker
VLC version: 0.8.6e
Operating System: WinXP SP2

Re: DirectShow/TV Tuner Issues & Questions

Postby HyperHacker » 06 Mar 2008 22:41

I just tried one and it's completely broken. It only shows a blank screen until I enter and exit fullscreen mode at least 5 times, and it crashes if subtitles are on. No use to me. And the uninstaller doesn't even work. I ran the 0.8.6e installer again and it appeared to do everything just fine but nothing actually changed and now I'm stuck with this defective version. WTF?
[edit: managed to manually remove it and install 0.8.6e again. V_v]
[ PC: WXP Pro SP2 | 1GB RAM | 250GB HD | 256MB Radeon 9550 | 1.7ghz AMD Sempron | VLC 0.8.6e (wxWidgets) ]
[ Laptop: Gateway MX7515 | WXP Pro SP2 | 1GB RAM | 100GB HD | 128MB Mobility Radeon X600 | 2.6ghz AMD Athlon | VLC 0.8.6e (wxWidgets) ]

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”