For slower processor?

Feature requests for VLC.
necromantis
New Cone
New Cone

For slower processor?

Postby necromantis » 15 Dec 2007 04:27

Hi all,

I was wondering if it is possible to have a feature to ease the amount of video treated ?

Basically I have an old laptop (like I'm sure quite a lot of people do) and it just won't play video.. MP3 fine but video no luck.
It's a PII 400 Mhz 256Mb runing XP SP2 so it's very very low on processor power.

What I was thinking is a feature which will pre-play the film and work out some sort of compromise between processing only 1/2 the lines of the frame and processing 1/2 or 1/4 frames... w/e is needed to make it happen. I don't know how codec (xvid for me) works so this might not be possible at all :?:

I know you can compress the video directly in that kind of format (decimate by 2 etc..) but like most people, I now have quite a large backup collection and I can't see myself re-compressing them.

What do you think? it will be great for me (obviously) but it also give old laptops a 2nd use.

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Re: For slower processor?

Postby funman » 15 Dec 2007 10:56

try --skip-frames command line option
and then --ffmpeg-skip-frame 1, 2, or 3 (the most skipping)

You should be able to access these options in input/codecs preferences (i believe there are advanced options)

necromantis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby necromantis » 15 Dec 2007 13:45

The advance option is empty :(

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 15 Dec 2007 18:04

There should be a box at the bottom-right corner of the Preferences menu that says "Advanced options", click on that one first and then go back to Input/Codecs.

necromantis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby necromantis » 15 Dec 2007 20:30

I have found an option in the Input codec / FFmepg called "Hurry up". Ticked that but it's not doing much - it's kinda better I get 1 frame every 15 seconds.
I noticed that if you switch the skin to the 2nd type you get more frames..

I'm going to sound like a blind twat but I still can't figure out where those are:

asdufisn

Postby asdufisn » 16 Dec 2007 15:11

For slower processor?

I was wondering if it is possible to have a feature to ease the amount of video treated ?

Basically I have an old laptop (like I'm sure quite a lot of people do) and it just won't play video.. MP3 fine but video no luck.
It's a PII 400 Mhz 256Mb runing XP SP2 so it's very very low on processor power.
Regrettably all VLC devels have very high end CPU's and seem not to bother at all about efficiency of VLC on slower ones :-(

It's actually unusable to have to wait 30 seconds for something to appear at all ... MPLAYER is better here :-|

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Postby funman » 16 Dec 2007 19:49

Regrettably all VLC devels have very high end CPU's and seem not to bother at all about efficiency of VLC on slower ones :-(
I've no problems on my 1.73ghz even when doing a compilation in the same time, and I don't call that a "very high end CPU"

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 Dec 2007 21:42

For slower processor?

It's actually unusable to have to wait 30 seconds for something to appear at all ... MPLAYER is better here :-|
This is wrong and stupid.
For example, VLC uses libmpeg2 for DVD playing which is faster than FFMPEG used by mplayer for MPEG2 streams
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 17 Dec 2007 00:19

I have found an option in the Input codec / FFmepg called "Hurry up". Ticked that but it's not doing much - it's kinda better I get 1 frame every 15 seconds.
I noticed that if you switch the skin to the 2nd type you get more frames..

I'm going to sound like a blind twat but I still can't figure out where those are:
To use the commandline options rather than changing the settings in the preferences you can, for example, open up Command Prompt/cmd.exe and enter:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --skip-frames --ffmpeg-skiploopfilter=4 C:\Temp\File.mkv
Where "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" is the location of VLC (that is the default location) and "C:\Temp\File.mkv" is the input file you wish to play.

To do the above using the Preferences, for "--skip-frames" go to:
Settings >> Preferences... >> Video

And tick "Advanced options". Then tick "Skip frames" and press "Save" (this is enabled by default though).

For the "--ffmpeg-skiploopfilter=4" commandline option, go to:
Settings >> Preferences... >> Input/Codecs >> Other codecs >> FFmpeg

Then tick "Advanced options", and change "Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding" from "None" (which is "0") to "All" (which is "4"), and press "Save".

Restart VLC and then the two commandline options should be applied for for all videos.

Cheers, Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

necromantis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby necromantis » 17 Dec 2007 19:26

Thanks Arite that works pretty well! It's still not great, the video is very glitchy and the sound/music sounds like it's going through a bad case of adolescence puberty :wink: but it work!!
If there's any more settings I could switch to get it better please let me know :?: :!: Thanks again !!

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 17 Dec 2007 23:18

Another small tweak which may make some difference is (in VLC) going to:
Settings >> Preferences... >> Advanced

And ticking the "Increase the priority of the process" tickbox. Then press "Save". Bear in mind once this is enabled other programs running parallel to VLC may become very slow. The commandline command is:

Code: Select all

--high-priority
So just add that to a commandline string if you want to play a specific file with it enabled (as supposed to it always being enabled when set in the Preferences).

Cheers, Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Postby DGMurdockIII » 18 Dec 2007 00:01

i saw try to make vlc able to rum on slower computer better a task for version .9.1 or something like that

lostcub
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lostcub » 22 Dec 2007 10:13

Well, the first thing is, and don't know why anyone has brought this up yet: why are you using XP on a 400 Mhz CPU? If you have or can get your hands on a Windows 2000 Professional Installer disk, this will help you out a lot if you were to use it instead. XP takes up a lot of resources in of itself, and nearly require 1Ghz for it to be stable.

I use a PII 667Mhz with Windows 2000 Professional, and can view most forms of video (with self taught tricks), however with only 400 Mhz it would be even tricker.

Always make sure that your overlay is working, on the applications you want it too. Windows previewer in a web view folder can "steal" your overlay from another, so it's best to sometimes turn it off. (however sometimes the embedded media player is much lower in system resources it can work better than some players depending on the codec; if setting are set right, double clicking on that small preview window, can go full screen.).

Don't re size the video, unless you are re encoding it, as this take processing too.

VLC Player is very good on resources, as long as you don't add things inline.

Turn off everything on VLC Player you don't need, including the equalizer and color adjustments (everything running inline will take up more CPU power)

Turn off deinterlacing.

Open Task manager and turn off all processes that are not needed to play the video, including real time virus protection (disconnect from the internet is advised).

Open services and turn off services that are not needed; such as, automatic updates. (if you don't know what is what here, don't mess)

Keeping Task Manager up, load VLC Player and the video file, but don't play it yet. (do NOT minimize it)

In Task Manager, turn off the process explorer.exe (the windows shell). Every thing will pretty much disappear on the desk top, except those things not minimized.

These things may help you, changing the process VLC.exe to high might help even more (do NOT put it in "realtime", more than likely you will loose total control over you computer).

Another thing that can also help is; if you can stream the video file from another computer on your home network . This will take more load off that machine, that can use for processing. An old Pentium S 133Mhz can stream (but not play) HDTV files. (don't throw Old PCs away, they make great network servers, especially media! Window 2000 works great on old machines when used as a server. Just make sure you set enough paging file, to make up for low RAM.)

Codecs will be the major problem, as most of the newer ones are really compressed and takes a lot of processing to decompress. An uncompressed AVI, providing your hard drive is fast enough, and the file is not too fragmented, you could probably play it without dropping a frame, at 240X320 and possibly 480x640 if the AVI is not interlaced.

I've found the only flawless way to play a DVD quailty MPEG-2 is by using WinDVD 2000 (not any of the later versions). I wish someone could abstract the way it uses the MPEG-2 codec that plays every frame of the VOB file, and only using 50% of my PII 667Mhz CPU! Even the AC3 stays in sync with the video, not even VLC on my system can do that. However, "WinDVD 2000"can only play MPEG 1 and 2 only.

I don't know if any of this will help, however 400Mhz may sound too slow to play videos, but...is it really? I don't think the first DVD stand-a-lone players even used that much CPU and some still may not be. Just goes to show you, what-all is being wasted in the players and stuff. Most of the stuff isn't even needed most of the time, and not only is it just waisting bandwidth, it also encoding loss...something to think about.

Lostcub

necromantis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby necromantis » 22 Dec 2007 16:31

Well, the first thing is, and don't know why anyone has brought this up yet: why are you using XP on a 400 Mhz CPU? If you have or can get your hands on a Windows 2000 Professional Installer disk, this will help you out a lot if you were to use it instead.
I have a licence for XP and not for 2000... I'm not even sure if you can still buy 2000 but to be honest, XP does everything I require:
WiFi
Open Office
Thunderbird
Mp3
Firefox

Video is one aspect it didn't do. However it does now .. not very well but it works!.. it's an old laptop, I am not expecting to run full screen without few glitches.
Another thing that can also help is; if you can stream the video file from another computer on your home network . This will take more load off that machine, that can use for processing. An old Pentium S 133Mhz can stream (but not play) HDTV files. (don't throw Old PCs away, they make great network servers, especially media! Window 2000 works great on old machines when used as a server. Just make sure you set enough paging file, to make up for low RAM.)
I use Ubuntu server edition for file sharing and web server.. I won't even dream to put 2000 as a web server. if you go full windows web it just cost way too much and if you install a Wamp you have security issues.
Codecs will be the major problem, as most of the newer ones are really compressed and takes a lot of processing to decompress. An uncompressed AVI, providing your hard drive is fast enough, and the file is not too fragmented, you could probably play it without dropping a frame, at 240X320 and possibly 480x640 if the AVI is not interlaced.
Like I said in my 1st post; I have quite a large quantity of AVI and I'm not prepare to re-compress > 1 000 000 GB of data (2x 500GB); I'm quite sure compressing a film at a PDA setting will work great.. this isn't an option however.

Laptop doesn't have a DVD player lol - only a CD drive.

I have try to set VLC at a higher priority and of course :wink: i'm not running any other program when this is on.. not even WiFi (that way I can turn off firewall and antivirus too); this is a pretty good playback for a windows xp @ 400mhz ..

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”