Download skins page on videolan.org

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
slythfox
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Download skins page on videolan.org

Postby slythfox » 24 Jul 2007 02:47

Comments on a forum thread would be a good idea (I don't want to add a whole comment system to the skins page). Should each skin link to it's comment thread? or should I just create a subcategory of the skins forum category and let the users find/create the appropriate skin thread? (The second solution would be way easier, it's actualy what they use for comments on xkcd.org)

About the version number ... yeah, we could display it. Or maybe just increment a counter each time a skin gets updated.
I like the second idea. Perhaps, when submitting (or updating a skin), the submitter could include a link to the forum. If the submitter chooses not to, the link will link to the subcategory of the skins forum, like you had suggested.

I'm not too sure a version number needs to be displayed. It would be nice, but the current download page does a decent job telling when a skin was last updated...

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 24 Jul 2007 05:13

I like the idea of linking to the skin thread. It's also useful so that viewers can see what's in the works as far as skin updates are concerned, they can even participate and help to shape the skin to something they might like. Just an idea. 8)

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 24 Jul 2007 15:21

Done for the forum part. I'll update the website later.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Win7 Pro / OS X 10.7

Postby 3breadt » 02 Aug 2007 14:33

Maybe link directly to the thread as all skin's threads, except blend, are in the parent forum. Or move the threads.
-- 3breadt (aka altglass)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 02 Aug 2007 15:12

I can move them if I find them.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Re:

Postby DGMurdockIII » 18 May 2008 22:10

Great!!
Now the only missing thing is a user-friendly submission system ;)
i agree

Abeille
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: M$ Windows

Postby Abeille » 08 Sep 2008 06:09

nice improvements for skin exposure but if i may, i suggest putting link to skin right under the vlc player download link/button directly on main page too, people in general are idiots and dont bother to search for something.
like;

Download Now for Windows (9 MB)
Get more skins
Other Operating Systems, learn more

Im happy to hear that vlc gonna get a bit of graphik love for next version, never underestimate how much eye candies can attract flies :lol: seriously, i think you will get awesome downloads for next version, if not a record, just by making vlc more pretty. Most the people i know dont use vlc just because of his look, shame on them.

Personaly, i must admit that the "skin" interface in the program have some room for improvement. I dont concider myself a neophyte of computer and i had trouble setting up a simple skin at first. Maybe a revamp of it would be nice, a thing "idiot proof", like droping a skin in skin folder then just pick one up by click into preference (graphic preview?), with autosave on skin change so it dont reset each time and force the guy to wonder why.

Anyway, im just rantin, so tired atm. Good job on vlc guys, easily the best player out there and you all look like a very professional team, i raise humbly my hat off for this nice little program.

bonne nuit ^^

Return to “Skins”