Either fix ‘Auto Language’ or stop it being default

Feature requests for VLC.
New Cone
New Cone

Either fix ‘Auto Language’ or stop it being default

Postby 8900 » 06 Dec 2006 07:51

Hi,

I'm, quite frankly, pissed to the max. I really enjoy automaticisms that make my life easier, that's the reason why my car has no manual gearbox.

I strongly HATE forged automaticisms that claim to make my life easier and to save me time, but instead making me losing it.

Why do I have computer skills? Because I always have to workaround annoyances clever 'programmers' implemented only going half the way, leaving the people alone with the result of their incompetence.

Yes, I read
viewtopic.php?t=26612
viewtopic.php?t=25595
viewtopic.php?t=25121
viewtopic.php?t=20422
viewtopic.php?t=17484
viewtopic.php?t=9557

and the claims made by the developers that
VLC by default selects the Language Windows is installed in
Auto Language will select the default language installed on your system
By default VLC picks the installed language for your system. So if VLC is incorrect, more than likely it's your system that is screwed up
inside VLC, the default language is the OS one
are bogus.

Let's draw a not so far fetched example:
I buy a 100% genuine copy of Windows XP US English and install it on a freshly formatted HDD on a computer in Germany. Because I cannot read a single word of German, of course I bought and installed an English version of Windows.

The only settings on this computer that build a connection to Germany are the country code and the German keyboard.

The VLC-installer nicely asks me for the installation language, unfortunately the selection made for it is not passed on to VLC. When did the first man walk on the moon? Aha! So rocket science is nothing compared to programming a simple language default.

And after the successfull installation of VLC on the first start it comes up in German, and I don't understand a single word of it, just the same as if it were Klingon. So how do I change the language in the menu I cannot understand?

Don't you think I know best which language skills I have and this is the reason why I made the according settings on my computer?

Do you really think I need another pathetic clueless loser to tell me what is best for me?

So why don't you do it right or simply leave it, if you're not qualified?

At least VLC is free (I wouldn't pay one red cent for a 'program' that gives me issues like these right from the start), but does this mean, we, the gratious users, have to take every nonsense? I say NO.

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Postby funman » 06 Dec 2006 16:27

hi

feel free to submit your 'clever' patches

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 06 Dec 2006 17:13

Yeah, last time a looked this was still free software developed by people in their free time. It explicitly says NO WARRENTY.

This is a known problem, and atm there is nothing that can be done, without dumping translations alltogether on windows.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

New Cone
New Cone

Why am I not surprised by these 'answers'

Postby 8900 » 06 Dec 2006 18:18

@funman:
I don't need to be a cook to tell you that you chose the wrong profession if you serve garbage, right?

@The DJ:
Again (3 of the 4 quotes I made were by you) you are lying. The solution was already in my headline: "just stop 'Auto Language' being the default"

What use has a 'free' software I cannot use because the software was intentionally programmed that it must be unusable because it selects a language I cannot understand on purpose?

Do you just program for yourself or for the benefit of others? If the first is true, you could save yourself (and us) some (loads of) time and keep it private, that will solve the translation 'issue' also; if you opt for the latter, you should become less learning resistant.

I'd like to hear your comment when you want to use VLC on a computer running a Dutch Windows in Russia on a Russian computer.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 07 Dec 2006 05:05

The answer to your question is an easy one. In fact it should be one that even you can understand and you dont need to be a programmer to do it. VLC is one source code and is compiled on the box for which it was intended. It doesnt require an installer and is available as a ZIP or 7Z file that works as well as the installed version. The language option in the installer was provided so that you can read the options for the install period. It has nothing to do with the language selection of VLC. The Default setting in VLC picks up the System language you have set for the default. In some cases you did not set this but you used the default Unicode settings when Windows was installed and this in fact may not be correct as you have discovered. This is NOT VLC's problem. Instead it is a problem within Windows and will show up in other programs doing other things. For the prople thatr didn't understand the Install of Windows or what those options meant, there are options to correct the issue. For multiple language systems or systems where the user did NOT install Windows correctly, VLC does have language options.

Languages

VLC uses the fonts installed on your system for your language! The default is the installed language.

This can be changed in Preferences, Interface from the pull down select your language. But you may not be able to see this. :lol:

So open a DOS box and type: CD "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC" Then type: vlc --language en for English or fr for French

Syntax: --language {auto,en,en_GB,ca,da,de,es,fr,it,ja,ka,ko,nl,oc,pt_BR,ro,ru,tr,
zh_CN,zh_TW}

When VLC opens check to be sure you can read the menus and then open Preferences and press "Save" then close the player.

If you are still having problems with your preferred language you will need to install or reinstall that language within Windows so that it will fill in the missing or broken fonts in your system. 8)

Alexsource
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Why am I not surprised by these 'answers'

Postby Alexsource » 07 Dec 2006 13:45

@funman:
I don't need to be a cook to tell you that you chose the wrong profession if you serve garbage, right?
You also don't need to be a coward in order to be polite, right? :P
There are other free media players out there. Ever heard of GOMP? How about MPlayer? It's not like OMG! I CANNOT USE VLC; YOU SCREWED ME YOU BASTARDS! NOW THE UNIVERSE IS GONNA END OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOES!! , you know? :roll:
@The DJ:
Again (3 of the 4 quotes I made were by you) you are lying. The solution was already in my headline: "just stop 'Auto Language' being the default"

What use has a 'free' software I cannot use because the software was intentionally programmed that it must be unusable because it selects a language I cannot understand on purpose?

Do you just program for yourself or for the benefit of others? If the first is true, you could save yourself (and us) some (loads of) time and keep it private, that will solve the translation 'issue' also; if you opt for the latter, you should become less learning resistant.

I'd like to hear your comment when you want to use VLC on a computer running a Dutch Windows in Russia on a Russian computer.
DJ explanation in the post above this one sounds SOOOOOOO logical I would almost dare to say he 0wned you :P

vlcrcuser
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Either fix ‘Auto Language’ or stop it being default

Postby vlcrcuser » 07 Dec 2006 17:17

Hi,

I'm, quite frankly, pissed to the max. I really enjoy automaticisms that make my life easier, that's the reason why my car has no manual gearbox.

I strongly HATE forged automaticisms that claim to make my life easier and to save me time, but instead making me losing it.

Why do I have computer skills? Because I always have to workaround annoyances clever 'programmers' implemented only going half the way, leaving the people alone with the result of their incompetence.

Yes, I read
viewtopic.php?t=26612
viewtopic.php?t=25595
viewtopic.php?t=25121
viewtopic.php?t=20422
viewtopic.php?t=17484
viewtopic.php?t=9557

and the claims made by the developers that
VLC by default selects the Language Windows is installed in
Auto Language will select the default language installed on your system
By default VLC picks the installed language for your system. So if VLC is incorrect, more than likely it's your system that is screwed up
inside VLC, the default language is the OS one
are bogus.

Let's draw a not so far fetched example:
I buy a 100% genuine copy of Windows XP US English and install it on a freshly formatted HDD on a computer in Germany. Because I cannot read a single word of German, of course I bought and installed an English version of Windows.

The only settings on this computer that build a connection to Germany are the country code and the German keyboard.

The VLC-installer nicely asks me for the installation language, unfortunately the selection made for it is not passed on to VLC. When did the first man walk on the moon? Aha! So rocket science is nothing compared to programming a simple language default.

And after the successfull installation of VLC on the first start it comes up in German, and I don't understand a single word of it, just the same as if it were Klingon. So how do I change the language in the menu I cannot understand?

Don't you think I know best which language skills I have and this is the reason why I made the according settings on my computer?

Do you really think I need another pathetic clueless loser to tell me what is best for me?

So why don't you do it right or simply leave it, if you're not qualified?

At least VLC is free (I wouldn't pay one red cent for a 'program' that gives me issues like these right from the start), but does this mean, we, the gratious users, have to take every nonsense? I say NO.

Learn before you post.
control your temper

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 07 Dec 2006 23:52

1. viewtopic.php?t=26612
The language chosen at the start of the installer is for the installer only.

inside VLC, the default language is the OS one.

We could try to pass the language from the installer to VLC but all the language of NSIS are not in VLC.

You can select your language in preferences/interfaces
2. viewtopic.php?t=25595
viewtopic.php?t=25121 Which states:

The language of your system and the language set for VLC do not match (IE the font is not installed) or there is a broken font on your system.

Open a DOS box and type: CD "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC" then type: vlc --language <data>

--language <data>
data=auto,en,en_GB,ca,da,de,es,fr,it,ja,ka,ko,nl,oc,pt_BR,ro,ru,tr,
zh_CN,zh_TW
Language
This option allows you to set the language of
the interface. The system language is
auto-detected if "auto" is specified here.

After selecting the two (or so ) letter code for your countries language press enter and when VLC opens check the menus. Assuming you can see everything go to preferences and press Save and close the player. The next time you ope the player normally you should see your language.

If this did not work, you have a broken font and this must be resolved at the system level by using your control panel to reinstall your primary language.

and further response to the same user in the same post:
But can anyone tell me WHY this huge error is occuring?

By default VLC picks the installed language for your system. So if VLC is incorrect, more than likely it's your system that is screwed up.

You will need to go to your control panel and fix it before trying the changes suggested for VLC.
3. viewtopic.php?t=25121

The first response is exactly the same as viewtopic.php?t=25121 The second response was:
The option is located in Preferences -> Interface and is under General in that menu, marked "Language" and has a pull down. You can also use the command line as described earlier and when VLC opens go to preferences and press Save.

The command line would be: vlc --language en
4. viewtopic.php?t=20422
If you can read VLC, the option can be found in Preferences, Interface, General scroll down near the bottom of that screen and you will see Languages, use the pull down to select the language you want and then press Save and close the player.

If you can't read VLC, open a DOS box and type: CD "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC" then type vlc --language en when VLC opens it should be in English, open Preferences and verify that it is correct then press Save and close the player.

Auto Language will select the default language installed on your system. Also please note that the fonts must be installed on your system. But I don't believe this a problem for Western European languages.
5. viewtopic.php?t=17484
Preferences, Interface, General from the Language select your Language then press Save and close VLC.

VLC by default selects the Language Windows is installed in.

This may also be called from the command line

c:\progra~1\videolan\vlc\vlc --language en

will open VLC in English.
6. viewtopic.php?t=9557
VLC detects a spanish setup on your computer and automatically selects that as the default language. You can go into Preferences->Interface to change VLCs default language.
All of these are true statments in response to the questions and in most cases the user either said that it worked or didn't come back saying it didn't work or to ask more questions.

So I'm going to ask the stupid question here: Why can all of these people get it to work and understand the answers except YOU??? :roll:

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”