WMP11 for VLC (Released!)

Comments on released skins
Forum rules
One topic per skin released on http://www.videolan.org/vlc/skins.php . Topics about unreleased skins or skin usage should go in the parent forum category.
joethezombie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

WMP11 for VLC (Released!)

Postby joethezombie » 23 Jan 2007 02:05

EDIT: Now released as .1b
Please report any problems or requests in this thread.

I've been working on a WMP11 clone for VLC. Here is the latest download link.

Known issues:
Last edited by joethezombie on 27 Jan 2007 20:20, edited 11 times in total.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 23 Jan 2007 23:18

Looks a lot like the Dalin Media Player skin on http://www.videolan.org/vlc/skins.php :)

But it's still nice (some different buttons & al)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

joethezombie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby joethezombie » 24 Jan 2007 00:44

Yes they look similar (both being WMP11 based), but that skin is not scalable, is unable to hide the playlist, has no EQ, and doesn't change available functions based on media type (among other, less severe limitations).

This skin aims to remove those boundaries.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 24 Jan 2007 03:29

This skin is really nice. Will it have a minimal mode? I don’t think Dalin Media Player has one.

joethezombie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby joethezombie » 24 Jan 2007 03:31

Great suggestion I hadn't thought of. Yes, I will incorporate a minimal mode.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 24 Jan 2007 07:46

Well, then keep up the good work !
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

joethezombie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby joethezombie » 27 Jan 2007 20:21

This skin is now released, and can be placed on the skins page.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 27 Jan 2007 23:46

[00000287] skins2 interface error: unknown font id: verdana-11
[00000287] skins2 interface error: unknown font id: verdana-13
[00000287] skins2 interface error: unknown font id: verdana-8
[00000287] skins2 interface error: unknown font id: verdana-8
[00000287] skins2 interface error: unknown font id: verdana-13

Playlist doesn't work here ... must be because of those errors.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

joethezombie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby joethezombie » 28 Jan 2007 03:11

Hello. I updated the archive. Could you please check for the errors again? Thank you!

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 28 Jan 2007 04:52

I don’t know if this is a question I should be asking the developers, or the skin designer, but I’ll ask it anyway: Is there a way for the playlist to show the NAME of a folder and it contents instead of showing the path that the files were taken from?

Most times a video doesn’t allow me to change the Meta information and I can’t get the playlist to show the name that I gave the file. And loading the folder itself would allow me to move or delete all the files under it. If either one of you could answer this, I would really appreciate it.

joethezombie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby joethezombie » 28 Jan 2007 06:12

Well, skin developers have two choices when it comes to the playlist. "Tree structure" indeed shows the file hierarchy. If you change the skin to the "default" skin and look at the playlist, it is "Tree".

The other option is "Flat", and is what I used in the WMP11 skin, as I prefer a flat layout.

If you want to change this skin to use the Tree structure instead, simply unzip the .vlt file (it's just a .zip file with a renamed extension). Open up the theme.xml file in a text editor, and on line 257, change flat="true" to flat="false". Now insert the changed .xml file back into the archive, over-writing the original.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 28 Jan 2007 07:05

Ok I’ll try it. But by the time I figure out what all of this means you’ll probable have a WMP12 skin out. :lol: But I think I understand how to do this. Thanks for the help.

colt45
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby colt45 » 28 Jan 2007 11:03

Joe, thank you for your efforts so far on this skin. Dalin skin was a nice attempt at a new skin and it had some positive attributes, but as you're aware it also contained some flaws.

It's nice to see some of these issues have been addressed already with others (horizontal scaling) being considered for future updates.

One request I had, was to remove the playlist bar entirely from the skin, or at least make it a toggle feature. That way the skin can start up in simple restored mode, and the playlist bar can be toggled. The square highlighted in red shown in the .gif below might make a good spot for a toggle button.

Asim
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Asim » 28 Jan 2007 11:07

Yes they look similar (both being WMP11 based), but that skin is not scalable
that's simply because scaling wasn't an option (due to VLC limitations) at that point in time.. ;)

anyway... good work... always good to see ppl pushing the boundaries so other features can be added to skins ;)

- Asim

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 28 Jan 2007 18:01

It works better now. I'll put it on the skins2 download page. (I still have CPU load issues on linux when using it but that's not specific to this skin)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Jan 2007 20:19

It lacks preferences Icon. And maybe info icon.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 29 Jan 2007 02:27

Nice job on the skin, I especially like the way the playlist is setup. But I am having a problem with the playlist that a couple of other skins have been giving me too.

Whenever I delete an item from the playlist, VLC player locks up and the CPU reports 99% usage and stays there, it does this every time. I’ve tried a couple of other skins (default, Airflow) and they seem to work fine. Please, I’d really like some help with this.

Oh, and as a suggestion, if you decide to implement fullscreen controls for this skin, could you make it so that it will auto-hide the interface until the mouse is moved either to the top or the bottom of the screen, kind of like Media player classic?

joethezombie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby joethezombie » 29 Jan 2007 02:57

Hmmm... I can't really help you on the 99% usage / lockup problem. VLC doesn't have this problem on either of my PCs. What version of VLC are you using?

As far as fullscreen controls, I'd love for that to be possible, but as far as I know VLC has no provision for making a control like that. Currently, pressing "I" to bring up the normal window when in fullscreen mode is the only fullscreen control option available.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 29 Jan 2007 03:14

I thought I saw something in one of the topics in these forums that said that they were going to update their player to support fullscreen controls, maybe it was for VLC 0.9.0.

Anyway, I'm currently using VLC 0.8.6a and have tried older versions aswell, and still the same problem. Maybe a newer version of VLC will fix this also. So if it works for you, am I the only one who has this problem? It’s really annoying. :x

j_hallgren
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby j_hallgren » 29 Jan 2007 05:30

I'm brand new to this product today, so tried out a few skins...the only one (of those I liked the basic look of) which seems to handle the task I need is "Media player", as it has the "open file" icon which gives quick access to various config type settings...I looked for this ability in WMP11 skin, but didn't see it, so without that, it's of no use to me...sorry!

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 29 Jan 2007 08:39

The " open file" dialog is available in any skin using the popup menu (right-click on the skin, almost anywhere).

senneca01
New Cone
New Cone

Zune theme...

Postby senneca01 » 29 Jan 2007 17:37

JoeTheZombie,

First off, excellent skin!

My question is, how hard would it be to make a "Zune" type version of this skin? Instead of blue, making the buttons and highlights in orange, also a lighter shade of the dark grey, something that matches the new Zune theme that MS has put out.

Picture here:

http://www.freewarefiles.com/screenshot/xpzunetheme.jpg

Anyway, nice work!

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 29 Jan 2007 19:13

Or maybe even something that could be added to VLC player itself, like an option to adjust the Hue, Saturation, and Brightness of any skin so that it match’s a desktop theme.

j_hallgren
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby j_hallgren » 30 Jan 2007 03:24

The " open file" dialog is available in any skin using the popup menu (right-click on the skin, almost anywhere).
I didn't know that...but thought I'd tried a right-click and didn't see anything...anyway, without some small icon on skin, how would a new user discover that? When I see something that looks like a clickable spot, I can then see what it does...

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 30 Jan 2007 12:37

.anyway, without some small icon on skin, how would a new user discover that? When I see something that looks like a clickable spot, I can then see what it does...
In any application, how do you know what the right-click menu looks like before trying it? :)

Return to “Released Skins”