uninstall help!!!

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
wadofmeat

uninstall help!!!

Postby wadofmeat » 13 May 2006 06:35

i downloaded videolan to watch a movie and uninstalled it when i was done.

however now when i right click on "My Computer" or "Recycle Bin" or any folder it still says 'Play with VLC media player' and 'Add to VLC's media player Playlist'

can anyone please help me get rid of it??

erbsen
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby erbsen » 13 May 2006 08:27

I would suggest to install it and uninstall it again, maybe this time the uninstall-process works correct.

Maybe this is useful:
viewtopic.php?t=14665

erbsen
Spying? Torture? Illegal airstrikes? Dyncorp, Halliburton - **Stay polite ** Slaves? SHUT UP and hate Bin Laden.

RAVE

Uninstall woes

Postby RAVE » 13 May 2006 13:22

A few thoughts on the subject:
Windows OS's have always been notorious for being sloppy and half-assed in their file-removal efficiency when un-installing apps...whether using the "add-remove" in the Control Panel, OR any un-install file/option that might come with the app. Even more-so in the System Registry, where I suspect lies the entries that are keeping the VLC selections that are stuck in your context menus. This is where...for myself...I use a good registry-cleaning program to deep-scrub the thing properly (NOT MicroCrap's "Registry Cleaner" that comes with WinDoze...that thing's a joke! Why would MS have their's clean it properly, when that's not what they want in the first place?) If you have not previously been using a safe, 3rd party RegCleaner...and have installed and un-installed things to any extent at all during the life of your computer (individual files, too...not just apps.) while relying on the OS alone to make all the appropriate deletions and removals...then your system is probably littered with more obsolete items than...(insert here the appropriate punch line that suits you).

Alternative option: While I strongly endorse having and using the right utility(s) on a regular basis and for the long-term, more immediately you could try using your "System Restore" option in your System Tools start menu. Just select the next closest date/time Restore Point that falls just before you installed the VLC app. That should put your system back where it was before the VLC inst., but you won't lose any files, etc. that you saved since then.

Good Luck! Cheers!

RAVE-

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”