The Enduring "last second missing" bug.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
stykyt
New Cone
New Cone

The Enduring "last second missing" bug.

Postby stykyt » 05 Mar 2024 02:03

It's been well over a decade closer to 15 years of using VLC for me, and one thing that continually bugs me throughout different versions, different operating systems, different PC's, etc. is as following;

The last second of a video is cut off.

Every file type, every encoder, every version I have used on every PC and laptop I have owned, the last 0.5 to 1 second of the video is always missing when played through VLC.

I have proved it's not me to other people by having them save the files that play all the way through on Discord to their own PC, then having them play the file with VLC so they can see the difference.

I can upload the videos to Youtube, or link them in Discord, or play them with other players and they will all play right to the end. but VLC *still* refuses to play that last little bit.

WHY!?!?!

Searching the issue shows people complaining about it as far back as 2010 ( https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=83040 )- which is about when I noticed it too, and I have been hopeful for a fix for all this time, but I *need* a video player that accurately shows the video contents now.

Is there any hope of this ever being adressed? Or do I need to finally switch away from VLC and find an alternative?

Gruko
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: The Enduring "last second missing" bug.

Postby Gruko » 05 Mar 2024 04:27

Try to enable pause on last frame in VLC, e.g.:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qlqbSYfkrM

I captured an online stopwatch and i can't reproduce your issue. I can see the last frame in VLC and in MPC-BE.

Link to captured video: https://ufile.io/ipo548aw

stykyt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stykyt » 05 Mar 2024 07:10

Pause on last frame pauses the video at the exact same place it usually cuts it off. I made comparison images to show.

This image shows the last frame when Pause on Last Frame is used, You can see the arm of the woman behind him as she winds up to hit him in the last second of the video, this it usually where it cuts off.

This one shows the actual final frame of the video that is shown anywhere else I play the video, in this example after being played in Discord, you can see the woman behind has completed her swing and hit Spiderman with her chancla so hard his head distorted.

I have spent many, *many* hours digging through settings and doing fresh installs over the years trying to solve this. I am pretty sure that there is no setting left I have not tried.

Gruko
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gruko » 05 Mar 2024 07:20

Does it also happen with my captured video?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”