2 problems with "Resume Playback"

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
brigas
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

2 problems with "Resume Playback"

Postby brigas » 10 Apr 2020 20:41

I have 2 problems with the resume playback feature ( closing a video file and when reopening it getting a prompt to resume from where I left of)

1st problem - It only saves the position if I am 10% past the beggining of a video and before 10% of the end, in other words if I am watching a file that is 8hours long and I close it before the 20min mark it doesn't save my position. In the same way, if I am past the 7h40min mark it also won't save.

2nd problem - After some time without opening the file the save point is lost. I am not sure but this is possibly caused because it only saves playback positions from the 10 files that are in the "recently viewed" menu drop down, so if I watch a lot of episodes and want to come back to a big vod that I watched till midway my position will have been lost. Not sure if that is the reason but at any rate after sometime of not opening the file the save is lost.

Is there any settings or another way to fix these 2 problems?

Thanks in advance!

brigas
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: 2 problems with "Resume Playback"

Postby brigas » 12 Apr 2020 06:18

Maybe there is a way to increase the recent media 10 limit?

InTheWings
Developer
Developer
VLC version: crashing
Operating System: Linux

Postby InTheWings » 27 Apr 2020 17:16

I have 2 problems with the resume playback feature ( closing a video file and when reopening it getting a prompt to resume from where I left of)

1st problem - It only saves the position if I am 10% past the beggining of a video and before 10% of the end, in other words if I am watching a file that is 8hours long and I close it before the 20min mark it doesn't save my position. In the same way, if I am past the 7h40min mark it also won't save.

2nd problem - After some time without opening the file the save point is lost. I am not sure but this is possibly caused because it only saves playback positions from the 10 files that are in the "recently viewed" menu drop down, so if I watch a lot of episodes and want to come back to a big vod that I watched till midway my position will have been lost. Not sure if that is the reason but at any rate after sometime of not opening the file the save is lost.

Thanks in advance!
It will not save after 95% of the duration
:!: If you want your problem to be solved :
* First read troubleshooting guide VSG:Main
* Always provide verbose LOGS ! (command line or from gui)
* Always check your issue against a developer build from Nightly Build of VLC
* Tell us when your problem is solved !

brigas
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby brigas » 27 Apr 2020 17:44

Thanks in advance!
It will not save after 95% of the duration
Okay, how do I make it so it saves for 100%?

And the second problem aswell?

brigas
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby brigas » 30 Apr 2020 06:13

bump

brigas
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby brigas » 03 May 2020 12:47

bump

brigas
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby brigas » 05 May 2020 10:29

bump

brigas
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby brigas » 06 May 2020 07:56

bump

chubinou
Developer
Developer

Postby chubinou » 06 May 2020 10:28

Hi,
the recent list size is limited to 30, this is not editable.
You can't edit as well 95% limit.

brigas
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby brigas » 08 May 2020 11:10

Hi,
the recent list size is limited to 30, this is not editable.
You can't edit as well 95% limit.
Ok.

Any plan to add this feature to increase limit in new updates?

Thanks!

chubinou
Developer
Developer

Postby chubinou » 11 May 2020 14:20

VLC 4.0 will have a proper database to store this kind of things

thewarren
New Cone
New Cone

Postby thewarren » 08 Jul 2022 12:01

It's been a while and it does not seem like vlc 4.0 is going to be released any time soon. It's not challenging to change the limit to 256 or even 65536. Is there a technical reason as to why the limit is so low, when you consider that hdd space is in the gigabytes now even on phones. At 65536 files, the conf size will maybe become 10MB, which sounds like a fair tradeoff.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 09 Jul 2022 11:52

It's been a while and it does not seem like vlc 4.0 is going to be released any time soon. It's not challenging to change the limit to 256 or even 65536. Is there a technical reason as to why the limit is so low, when you consider that hdd space is in the gigabytes now even on phones. At 65536 files, the conf size will maybe become 10MB, which sounds like a fair tradeoff.

There are nightly versions of vlc 4.0 available if you want to try them: https://nightlies.videolan.org/

There's also an addon which might address your issue: https://addons.videolan.org/p/1154044/
Installation instructions in this post: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 87#p523387

The addon was used to resolve an issue whereby the resume position was lost after a Windows reboot, but may provide a workaround for your issue as well.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”