How to persist resume feature after a Windows restart

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
HarryMudd
New Cone
New Cone

How to persist resume feature after a Windows restart

Postby HarryMudd » 19 Dec 2021 01:15

v 3.0.16

I use the Continue Playback feature all the time, it's very handy when returning to a video after watching part of it.

Recently I found that if my Windows (10) PC is restarted, even after shutting down VLC and verifying there is no VLC process using Task Manager before the restart, the resume feature does not work.

It's as if the resume position is stored in only in PC memory, which is accessible to VLC the next time the program is started, but goes away when the PC is restarted.

Is there a way to configure VLC to persist the resume position so it's available after a PC restart?

Thanks,

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: How to persist resume feature after a Windows restart

Postby Hitchhiker » 19 Dec 2021 12:56

Install this addon which will allow you to resume after a reboot: https://addons.videolan.org/p/1154044/

To install unzip the download and then place the file called "VLC Resume Media V3.40 Release.lua" into this location:
  • C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\extensions
  • Hit F2 and then rename the extension to luac (so it becomes VLC Resume Media V3.40 Release.luac)
Start vlc and then click "View" on the top toolbar. The extension will be visible at the bottom. Here's a pix of it.

(click to enlarge)

If there's anything you don't understand please don't hesitate to ask. ;)

HarryMudd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby HarryMudd » 20 Dec 2021 01:10

Thank you for your reply, the addon is in place and working. Exactly what I was looking for.

One question. I know a bit about how Window programs work, and generally a program that needs to persist data, such as the resume point in a video file, will save that info to disk based storage when it is closed normally (though perhaps not if the program crashes.) Do you know how/where VLC saves resume info so it's available to VLC when the program is restarted, yet that information is lost when Windows is restarted?

Thanks,

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 20 Dec 2021 09:22

Generally speaking, when you reboot the PC it unloads all the device drivers so that communication between, in this particular case vlc and the hardware where it's stored (your hard disk) is lost. When the machine reboots to the desktop the connection isn't automatically re-established and has to be restarted.

Anyway, it's good to hear that the extension works for you.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”