Unable to convert .TS file with DVBS, H264-MP4, mpga and telx streams to either MP4 or MKV

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Shadow0013
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Unable to convert .TS file with DVBS, H264-MP4, mpga and telx streams to either MP4 or MKV

Postby Shadow0013 » 17 Sep 2023 18:01

Hello there,

I have recently bought an AMIKO HD8265+ DVB-C Set-Top Box on which I am recording TV shows to a USB-Pendrive. In the settings of the set top box, I have set it to record in TS (but I also have an option to record in PS), and that's pretty much it when it comes to recording settings on the device.
Each separate recording goes into 1 folder, with their title name being [TS]YYYY-MM-DD.HH.MM.SS-<Channel Name>-<ID>
(To be frank, I'm not sure what the last ID is, seems like a random 2 digit number, or if single digit, the 10s column number is replaced by a space.)

I have put the folders on my PC, and I found this in one of the folders named "[TS]2023-09-15.19.45.07-RTL HD- 0":
000.dvr
000.ts
info3.dvr
000.dvr and info3.dvr are machine code files when I open them with Notepad++, and 000.ts is the actual file to be played.

Please do note that if I play the original 000.ts file, VLC plays it with no issues, and displays length of video properly, and audio is properly synced up.

The problem comes when I want to put this file into MAGIX Vegas Pro 20. It is not suited for importing .TS files. However, I do want to cut things out of this video file. Here is where I started experimenting with conversion in VLC.

I tried the usual Ctrl+R, adding the file to the list, selecting Convert, I tried multiple profiles, H-264 + MP3 (MP4), I even created my own TS to MP4 and TS to MKV, but none of them worked.
(As a note, TS to MKV Video is set to MPEG4, 800 kb/s (not sure if it's a lot or not), Audio is set to MPEG4 Audio (AAC), 256 kb/s, 2 streams, 48k Hz, and Subtitles is turned off).
MP4 is the same, just MP4, not MKV.)
Then I select the output file name, hit Start, and then, after a VERY LONG time (~5 hours), it creates an MKV file, that starts at 37:52:53, and ends at 40:52:00. When I try to scroll out of this time window in VLC, it just jumps to these timestamps. The teletext functionality of VLC disappears in this newly created file.

Here is the result of some of the attempts I did with different profiles:
  • MKV MPEG4 800kb/s, MPEG4 Audio AAC, 256kb/s 48 kHz: The video quality of the output file is abysmal, extremely pixelated, and the audio and video are not synced up, and time doesn't start at 0.
  • MP4 "Video for Youtube HD" profile, here the image is not that bad (but still worse than it originally was), but audio is off sync with this too. Time starts at 0 at least (with all my MP4 attempts)
  • MP4 MPEG4 800kb/s, MPEG4 Audio AAC, 256kb/s 48 kHz: Video quality is abysmal, audio is off sync, but time starts at 0.
  • MP4 Original Video, original audio, no subtitles: Does not even load it. The yellow bubble on the timeline at the bottom keeps jumping back and forth, I am forced to terminate process in Task Manager.
About the original files:
The original TS file that the Set Top Box records, contains a lot of streams (most of which is listed in the Codec information view), including teletext, multiple subtitles, and even EPG information, including other channels' metadata (for some unholy reason). These are other TV channels running on the same frequency, and Program is the channel ID the Set Top Box stores these programs on. Where you see a comment, that is not on the list, it's me commenting them here on the forum.
The list of codecs of the original file (on my screen it's in hungarian, but the free translation) is the following:

Code: Select all

0. stream Original identifier: 49 Codec: DVB Subtitles (dvbs) Language: Hungarian Description: DVB feliratok: hallássérülteknek //DVB subtitles: for impaired hearing people Type: Subtitle 1. stream Original identifier: 121 Codec: H264 - MPEG4 AVC (part 10) (h264) Type: Video Video resolution: 1920x1080 Puffer dimensions: 1920x1088 Framerate: 25 Decoded format: Orientation: Up - Left side Main Colors: ITU-R BT.709 Colorpassing function: ITU-R BT.709 //Not sure what the english term might be for this one, I used literal translation here Color scope: ITU-R BT.709 scope Space of coloring: Left 2. stream Original identifier: 221 Codec: MPEG Audio layer 1/2 (mpga) Language: Hungarian Type: Audio Channels: Stereo Sampling rate: 48000 Hz Bits per sample: 32 Bitstream: 256 kb/s 3. stream Original identifier: 222 Codec: MPEG Audio layer 1/2 (mpga) Language: ang //guessing English Type: Audio 4. stream Original identifier: 223 Codec: MPEG Audio layer 1/2 (mpga) Language: nar //unsure what this could be Type: Audio 5. stream Original identifier: 3221 Codec: Teletext (telx) Language: Hungarian Description: Teletext Type: Subtitle 6. stream Codec: Teletext (telx) Language: Hungarian Description: Teletext feliratok: hallássérülteknek //Teletext subtitles for hearing impaired people Type: Subtitle RTL HD [Program 16] Status: Running Author: DIGI TV2 HD [Program 21] Status: Running Author: DIGI MATCH4 HD [Program 24] Status: Running Author: DIGI ATV HD [Program 36] Status: Running Author: DIGI
The list of codecs of the newly created MKV file is the following:

0. stream Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a) Type: Audio Channels: Stereo Sampling rate: 48000 Hz Bits per sample: 32 1. stream Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a) Type: Audio Sampling rate: 48000 Hz 2. stream Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a) Type: Audio Sampling rate: 48000 Hz 3. stream Codec: MPEG-4 Video (mp4v) Type: Video Video resolution: 1920x1080 Puffer dimensions: 1920x1088 Framerate: 25 Decoded format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV Orientation: Up-left side Space of coloring: Left
Summary
I know it's a lot to digest, but is there a way for me to convert this into something usable by MAGIX Vegas Pro with VLC? What I want my end product to look like, is to have 1 video and 1 audio stream.
Therefore, the important streams are the video (guessing 1. stream), audio (guessing 2. stream).
Subtitles (guessing 0. stream) would be messed up after cutting the video, so I can't use that anyway. Teletext I don't care about (actually would prefer had it not existed), and the random info about other channels is junk to me (also would prefer had they not existed).

Thank you for reading this gigantic wall of text, and I hope someone with some time could help me with it.
If anything you need from me, I am here to provide it for you in order to fix this issue.

Looking forward to your answers :D
Last edited by Shadow0013 on 18 Sep 2023 13:02, edited 1 time in total.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Unable to convert .TS file with DVBS, H264-MP4, mpga and telx streams to either MP4 or MKV

Postby Lotesdelere » 18 Sep 2023 13:00

For selecting the correct program you need to add --program=x to the chain where the value for x is the Service PID, aka SID, of the channel.
I'm not sure VLC can copy/convert teletext subtitles.

Shadow0013
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Unable to convert .TS file with DVBS, H264-MP4, mpga and telx streams to either MP4 or MKV

Postby Shadow0013 » 18 Sep 2023 13:07

For selecting the correct program you need to add --program=x to the chain where the value for x is the Service PID, aka SID, of the channel.
I'm not sure VLC can copy/convert teletext subtitles.
So if I understand correctly, I should add --program=16 to the settings before I select Convert?

I don't want Teletext in the output file. I want it gone. Same with the hearing impaired subtitles. Not needed.
I only want the video and audio parts of the file in MP4 or MKV.
Problem is, no matter what I do in the profiles, they video and audio get off sync.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 19 Sep 2023 11:42

Try with a nightly build:
https://nightlies.videolan.org

Notice that you don't need to convert the video and the audio streams but just to copy them.

Shadow0013
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Shadow0013 » 19 Sep 2023 15:24

I downloaded the most recent nightly build from the link you posted here. 19th of September 2023 build.
I installed it, and firstly, I gotta say, the new UI looks like sh*t. I'm sorry to say that, but that's just reality.
I had trouble finding even the timeline bar what used to be at the bottom, and even the menu which was neatly at the top. (Because of this, I had to just guess based on the CPU usage as to when the conversion actually finished.)
And please, make dark mode the default setting. My eyes literally hurt after I opened VLC.
Please do NOT make the PC version into the mobile version.

But, back the the subject matter, I, once again, in the nightly build VLC, put in the settings field --program=16, I selected MP4, copy video, copy audio and disable subtitle in the profile settings. It finished, I have seen that Windows Explorer has not given it a keyframe to display as the file's icon, and when I opened it with the nightly version, it actually started, however, the video quality is good, but there is 0 audio. None. Zilch.
The file contains 3 audio streams and a video stream, but none of them actually has ANY audio on it. I checked all 3, but It's as if the speakers got their tongue cut out.
Also do note that moving back and forth on the timeline, is abysmally slow. it gets to the point after a few clicks on the timeline where it just literally gives up and stops playing the video altogether.

I wish I could upload the resulting file somewhere for you to take a look, but it's just under 6 GBs.

Codec information (this time I am copying 1 to 1, I am not translating) is the following:

1. Stream 'audio/1' Cím: Szám 0 - [Magyar] Kodek: MPEG Audio layer 1/2 (mpga) Nyelv: Magyar Bitsebesség: 256 kb/mp Típus: Hang Csatornák: 2 Mintavételi frekvencia: 48000 Hz Decoded Bitrate: 256 kb/mp 2. Stream 'audio 2' Cím: Szám 1 - [Angol] Kodek: MPEG Audio layer 1/2 (mpga) Nyelv: Angol Bitsebesség: 96 kb/mp Típus: Hang Csatornák: 2 Mintavételi frekvencia: 32000 Hz Decoded Bitrate: 96 kb/mp 3. Stream 'audio/3' Cím: Szám 2 - [Angol] Kodek: MPEG Audio layer 1/2 (mpga) Nyelv: Angol Bitsebesség: 96 kb/mp Típus: Hang Csatornák: 2 Mintavételi frekvencia: 32000 Hz Decoded Bitrate: 96 kb/mp 4. Stream 'video/4' Cím: Szám 0 - [Angol] Kodek: H264 - MPEG 4 AVC (part 10) (avc 1) Nyelv: Angol Típus: Videó Video resolution: 1920x1080 Buffer dimensions: 1920x1080 Orientation: Top left Color primaries: ITU-R BT.709 Color transfer function: ITU-R BT.709 Color space: ITU-R BT.709 Color Range: Limited Chroma location: Bal
I thought about the fact that the nightly version manages to play the file the nightly build created, and to which Windows Explorer didn't put a keyframe to as an icon, and just for giggles I opened the version the stable build VLC made, (MP4 copy video copy audio disable subtitle), and the nightly build manages to open this file too, and it has audio too, but audio, is, once again, off sync.

Looking forward to your answer.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 20 Sep 2023 12:02

I downloaded the most recent nightly build from the link you posted here. 19th of September 2023 build.
I installed it, and firstly, I gotta say, the new UI looks like sh*t. I'm sorry to say that, but that's just reality.
I had trouble finding even the timeline bar what used to be at the bottom, and even the menu which was neatly at the top.
Please do NOT make the PC version into the mobile version.

There is a dedicated thread about that:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=153982

however, the video quality is good, but there is 0 audio. None. Zilch.

You should create a new report ticket on the VLC issues tracker with your above report, the link to your sample file and the link to this thread:
https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues

If possible, because of this:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 27#p538427

I wish I could upload the resulting file somewhere for you to take a look, but it's just under 6 GBs.

Cut it with DGsplit and read here about how to do it:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 35#p193335
200-300 MB max should be enough but a full complete short file is better.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”