Windows outperforms Ubuntu by 10 times. HEVC.

*nix specific usage questions
aurimus
New Cone
New Cone

Windows outperforms Ubuntu by 10 times. HEVC.

Postby aurimus » 22 Apr 2016 14:44

I am able to play most of videos on my i7 Dual Core on Ubuntu 14.04, but after recent developments of HEVC I noticed that some high Quality movies I am barely able to play on Ubuntu, I get green artifacts (sometimes whole video turns green). After some research I noticed it's a performance issue (it plays ok if you play slow motion).

On Ubuntu all the CPU cores and threads go to 100% and video still lags. Same problems are non existent on Windows (same PC, dual boot).

Basically anything above 1000kb/s bitrate (1080p HEVC high compression) is laggy, while on Windows it works with 3000kb/s or above just fine, CPUs even have time to relax at less heavy scenes.

Any ideas what might be the issue?

I am suspecting that it might not be HEVC only issue since other videos take heavy toll on processor too.

A.

My system: Ubuntu 14.04, http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Upd ... 079.0.html

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Windows outperforms Ubuntu by 10 times. HEVC.

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 22 Apr 2016 19:42

Are you using the same VLC and libavcodec versions on both operating systems?
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

cipper
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cipper » 09 Jun 2016 17:11

I also find strong lags with Ubuntu 14.04 on i7-4650U when playing HEVC 1080p videos (sometimes also 720p!).
ffplay is definitely faster, but still not enough. I've tried to disable loop-filter and it seems to help with ffplay, but with vlc I can't see any difference.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 09 Jun 2016 18:05

You're not really answering the question here. If VLC and/or libavcodec are older on Linux, it's to be expected that they're much slower. HEVC is still very much being optimized.

Also maybe your Windows version has hardware acceleration and your Linux one does not?
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

cipper
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cipper » 09 Jun 2016 19:06

I'm not the guy of the first post. Anyway, in my case Vlc is 2.2.1, which depends on libavcoded54 version >=9.1 (installed is 9.18).

BPirate
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby BPirate » 16 Jun 2016 22:41

No problems here.

Using built-in AMD open-source drivers, mint 17.3, vlc 2.1.6, installed the "strukturag/libde265" PPA, hw acceleration decoding disabled under plugins (I find that option buggy with playing sound and the "VA" option doesn't really make a difference).
CPU: g3258 OC'd to 4.6GHz. Normal playing speed results in ~40% cpu utilization -- which was about the same as in win7. Not bad for a $45 cpu.

BPirate
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby BPirate » 25 Jun 2016 22:13

No problems here.

Using built-in AMD open-source drivers, mint 17.3, vlc 2.1.6, installed the "strukturag/libde265" PPA, hw acceleration decoding disabled under plugins (I find that option buggy with playing sound and the "VA" option doesn't really make a difference).
CPU: g3258 OC'd to 4.6GHz. Normal playing speed results in ~40% cpu utilization -- which was about the same as in win7. Not bad for a $45 cpu.
Btw anyone who's still reading this, you really should upgrade to LM18 beta now, I'd recommend MATE due to screen tearing issues still present in Cinnamon last time I checked (although they may have improved that somewhat in version 3.0.) Once you have MATE and the 1-click codecs downloaded and installed, just go into your desktop settings and select something with a "Compton" window manager and you'll be fine (even while gaming.) They're pumping out major updates every 6 hours it seems and there's a very comprehensive bug list they're working on that a lot of issues are still present in 17.3. With 18 beta, you (finally) get the latest 2.2.2 VLC (which includes bundled H.265 decoders so there's no need for a PPA.) If you've installed the latest firejail (as you properly should and configure) to prevent rogue VLC media files from making outgoing connections and contacting NSA motherships in Utah -- you should be aware that any firejail sandbox breaks pulseaudio but thankfully the pulseaudio devs are aware of it and there is a "mask" fix atm. Here's the code for that:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p ~/.config/pulse cd ~/.config/pulse cp /etc/pulse/client.conf . echo "enable-shm = no" >> client.conf
Playing games on Steam also needs a bit of nudging until the Ubuntu devs at Valve and AMD :roll: can get their act together (but it does work with the following):

Code: Select all

LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6' steam
enjoy. inb4 #locked again. :lol:

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”