Ubuntu: is there any setting within VLC that disallows all outgoing network connections?

*nix specific usage questions
BPirate
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Ubuntu: is there any setting within VLC that disallows all outgoing network connections?

Postby BPirate » 11 May 2016 14:53

Here's the setting in VLC I'm looking for: "disable all network activity?" [check yes], done. VLC is now permanently in "offline mode." Does this simple setting exist?

Don't really care if the setting disallows incoming connections as well. I'm a recent convert coming from win7 and really missing the application-based firewall which worked so well. gufw is like a fisher-price firewall compared to the windows firewall and custom ipsec rules you could setup with the MS snap-in console. The "accepted solution" appears to be extremely inconvenient, especially when the "arguments" to VLC will be whatever media file is double-clicked.

The other possible solution is an experiential firewall that you need to compile yourself. I don't understand the words: "Quick start: Run lpfw as root. Run python gui/gui.py as regular user." I'm assuming that translates to: "sudo lpfw" and then I don't know what the python bit is.

I noticed in /usr/bin, vlc and vlc-wrapper permissions can be set to a different group. Following the above instructions again, can you simply select group "ni" here for both items and then you're done permanently? They're currently on group "root".

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Ubuntu: is there any setting within VLC that disallows all outgoing network connections?

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 11 May 2016 18:29

There are no such settings in VLC. That wouldn't work as some of the network access is via third party libraries.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

BPirate
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Ubuntu: is there any setting within VLC that disallows all outgoing network connections?

Postby BPirate » 12 May 2016 14:44

There are no such settings in VLC. That wouldn't work as some of the network access is via third party libraries.
I don't really buy that. The libraries still run under the context of the VLC application no? In win7 it was so easy to block, just select vlc.exe, put a deny on it, and it's not making any outgoing connections, at least for playlist files. So far I've spent so many hours trying to find application firewalls in Linux -- curiously they don't seem to exist. Douane is about the closest I've came, but it acts like an alpha release, especially in non-systemd environments. APF = abandonware.

SELinux = NSA.
AppArmour seems notorious for breaking things. So I haven't even tried these yet.
Firejail shows somewhat promise, although again passing args to VLC == double-clicking media so I don't really see how that works.

It's like this guy asks, have I looked hard enough?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 12 May 2016 19:48

I'll be waiting for your patch since you obviously know better.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

BPirate
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby BPirate » 13 May 2016 07:48

I'll be waiting for your patch since you obviously know better.
Your requested lucky 7 lines of code:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install firejail sudo ln -s /usr/bin/firejail /usr/local/bin/vlc mkdir -p ~/.local/share/applications/ cp /usr/share/applications/vlc.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/ sed -ri 's|(Exec=)/[^ ]*/([^ ]*)|\1\2|' ~/.local/share/applications/vlc.desktop sudo sed -i '$a net none' /etc/firejail/vlc.profile sudo reboot -f
It's alive...IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :twisted:

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 May 2016 19:10

Ahaha. Topic closed.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”