How to specify which monitor for full screen

*nix specific usage questions
montgoss
New Cone
New Cone

How to specify which monitor for full screen

Postby montgoss » 17 Feb 2007 18:17

I have the video (DVD) playing on monitor A, but when I go to fullscreen, the video pops over to monitor B. I've seen other threads with tips on where to set the video device, but those menu options don't exist for me! I'm running "VLC media player 0.8.6 (wxWidgets interface)" on Ubuntu Edgy. Oh, another thing that is probably relevant: my window manager is Beryl (the OpenGL 3D manager).

In fact, I just did a test. I switched back to Metacity window manager and the fullscreen goes to monitor A. Even if I had the video playing in a window on monitor B.

quintesse
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby quintesse » 01 Apr 2007 01:07

Did you ever find out how to select the monitor? Because I'm having the opposite problem, the video just won't display on my second monitor.

montgoss
New Cone
New Cone

Postby montgoss » 01 Apr 2007 01:45

Nope. Not a single reply and I didn't find the answer elsewhere.

quintesse
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby quintesse » 01 Apr 2007 01:50

What kind of setup do you have? 2 videocards? 1 card, 2 outputs? Xinerama? Cloning or extended desktop or separate screens?

Not that I know anything, but just to compare our setups. (Mine's here viewtopic.php?t=34371)

montgoss
New Cone
New Cone

Postby montgoss » 01 Apr 2007 01:57

I have 1 nvidia GeForce 7900 GT that has dual DVI outputs. I think I have Xinerama installed. I know I have the nVidia binary drivers... The screens aren't cloned, but they're not separate X sessions either. I can drag a window between them with no problem.

Another point of interest is the window manager. I'm using Beryl, which is an opengl accelerated window manager. If I use the default gnome window manager (metacity), I have the same problem only the video stays on the other monitor.

quintesse
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby quintesse » 01 Apr 2007 04:26

And what is your configuration for the "Screen for fullscreen mode" setting?

Because if it's set to "0" gnome might be doing the correct thing which is to open it on the primary screen. Beryl is still quite new and is known to have problems with multiple screens and such.

montgoss
New Cone
New Cone

Postby montgoss » 01 Apr 2007 05:12

I think I found that setting. Under Video->Output modules, right? It was set to 0. I tried changing it to 1, but it didn't change anything. I changed that setting under each of several modules. Anyway for me to tell which one is actually being used? I have X11, XVideo, OpenGL(GLX) and OpenGL.

quintesse
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby quintesse » 01 Apr 2007 13:34

Which one is actually used? Hehe I was asking myself the same thing. And you can select the one to use from the dropdown in the "output modules" but in my case the list doesn't correspond to the modules I see below the "output modules".

(I see "Default, Dummy video output function, OpenGL video output, X11 video output, GNU/Linux console framebuffer video output, ASCII-art video output, Color ASCII art video output, XVideo extension video output, Image video output, Simple DirectMedia Layer video output" in the drop down and "OpenGL, X11, Framebuffer, OpenGL(GLX), XVideo, Image file" in the list of modules below the "output modules" entry. I can map some of them, but why are there 2 OpenGL entries for example and how would I select one over the other? No idea)

The thing I did was to try and put in values that are obviously wrong, but VLC seems to automatically and silently fall back to other modules or default values if you enter something that is obviously wrong. A pity because it's a bit hard to see what is going on this way.

Ux64
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Ubuntu 64 bit

Re: How to specify which monitor for full screen

Postby Ux64 » 23 May 2008 09:42

I had autodetection working with Gutsy Gibbon, but when I updated to Hardy Heron VLC full screen autodetect isn't working anymore. Now I have constantly to change preferences to get full screen video to be shown on correct display. It annoys me a lot.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”