Subtitles (help badly)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.

Subtitles (help badly)

Postby Guest » 25 Jul 2006 00:34

hey guys i been trying to put these subtitles for weeks now and yet still couldnt fix it i looked at almost every subtitle forum but still no luck i been trying this "Go in "file" > open a file (advanced).
find your movie (.avi file for example), click "sub-titles" and open the sub-title file (the name similar to the movie file in the same folder with .srt) .
Then, the trick: open "advanced option" and choose under "encoding the sub-titles text" Iso-8859-1 > ok > ok. "
Unable to open 'D:\Program etc movie flie. and it im goin crazy trying put subttiles on this movie i know this been posted a milion times but i need some personal help aghgaga thanks lot!!!

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 25 Jul 2006 01:18

OK! I'm going to take this off of fast forward for a moment and put it in rewind so I can be sure I understand it. :wink:

You say that after going to the Open file menu and Browsing for your video file and then checking the Subtitles box and Browsing for your subtitle that when you press OK VLC can't find your sub file?

I did leave out the advanced settings as it didn't seem to have any bearing on the problem. The ISO-8859-1 character set, often simply referred to as Latin 1, can represent most Western European languages including: Albanian, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, English, Faroese, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Irish, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish.

This should work for everything in the western world and I always thought was the default, based on one of these languages.

If I understood this correctly please post the exact filename. If I didn't, which is possible, :roll: then repost your question. But it does seem unlikely you would be struggling with the same file(s) for weeks. :wink:

If the problem is simply the sub not automatically showing up, right click on the video while it's playing and select subtitles, then select your language. SRT subs generally only have one language but you can stack files. Movie1.srt, Movie2.srt etc. will all be loaded. This is part of the fuzzy options in Preferences for subs. This action is being made more automatic for various formats in 0.8.6.

mulito

little trouble with autoload subtitles

Postby mulito » 25 Jul 2006 02:35

If the problem is simply the sub not automatically showing up, right click on the video while it's playing and select subtitles, then select your language.
when i right click on the video i can´t see the subtitles option (i only see ithis option when i load the subtitle file like i explain a few lines down)
Subtitles are not automatically showed up.
I have selected the option "autodetect subtitle files" in preferences.
the video is .avi and the subtitle is .srt

I can only load the subtitles using the option open file/subtitles options/etc...

a good thing is that now i can change the size and color of the subtitles; in previous VLC version the options didn´t work

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 25 Jul 2006 02:50

The subtitle option will only show if there are subs either encoded in the container or is external, loaded by you. The fuzzy feature is, if the file name is close to the movie name and in the same directory, you need not browse and specifically choose a file only the subtitles check box is required. The rest of what you describe seems normal for some formats. Specially for subs with multiple languages.

Postby Guest » 25 Jul 2006 06:02

thanks for the reply DJ hmm well i did that error just pops up the video and the srt nothnig runs but if i play the movie just normaly its fine but when i try the subs error i have 8.5 so is there anythihng i could do with this? thanks again :o

Postby Guest » 25 Jul 2006 06:31

It sounds as though the sub file is not valid or is corrupted. Try opening it and looking at it. Is it readable?

I would ask about formating but then you need to be familiar with various formats. You can try posting the first few lines here. but if the sub is not made for the video with correct FPS in the header for most sub formats there can and will be some kind of problem that ranges from the sub not being in time with the video to full lockups.

I can't determine this without the thole thing and I really don't want the whole thing. :lol: All though you can look at the frame rate in stream and media information and the header of the sub should (in most formats) have the frame rate written in the header of the sub. This is FPS! :wink:

mulito

Postby mulito » 28 Jul 2006 16:36

The fuzzy feature is, if the file name is close to the movie name and in the same directory, you need not browse and specifically choose a file only the subtitles check box is required.
ok, it works!

...but now i have a different trouble and it´s very serious :lol:
when I load a subtitle file (srt) , sometimes the text doesn't appear, for example, in a movie with a subtitle file that contains 400 dialogs, only 250are shown and i "don' get the whole movie subtitled"

this error is not only mine, i have read other people in spanish forums with the same trouble
..now i have to use another player to watch movies with a subtitle file and i don't want to do it!

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 28 Jul 2006 22:10

In the advanced features for subtitles is "Subtitles text encoding" You will need to set this for the character set in use for your language. You can try iso8859-1 as this supports most western European languages. Once you find the correct character set it can be added to Preferences, Input / Codecs, Other codecs "Subtitles text encoding"

viewtopic.php?t=24161
Subtitles text encoding

http://alis.isoc.org/codage/iso8859/jeuxiso.en.htm
ISO Standard for various characters sets

mulito

Postby mulito » 29 Jul 2006 18:38

i'm not sure but i think i tried choosing that subtitle encoding in advanced options while loading subtitle file, but it doesn´t work.
I have selected it in options/preferencies/input/codecs/etc.. and now it's working fine, i can read all subtitles

thank you

Greek fellow

Subtitles (ipotitli is the greek word :) )

Postby Greek fellow » 10 Aug 2006 04:56

Hello from Greece.
Congratulation for your work the player is excellent.
I face the same problem with subtitles. i tried the "open file advanced etc" and same i did in preferences...

I put at first ISO-8859-7, nothing appears in the screen :)
Then i tried almost every enoding in the list ...nothing happened.

Is there any solution for me?

Thank you in advance, have a nice summer.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Aug 2006 22:57

Only that the subs themselves must still support your language and you still may need to right click on the video while playing the file and select the subtitle. There have been a few users (Arabic & Hebrew) who have expressed that it still isn't correct for them until they change to a Unicode font. But this is an unusual case. :lol:

Greek fellow

Postby Greek fellow » 12 Aug 2006 03:36

It's probably some dvd's problem after all :)
The specific one i was talking about, showed the subtitles in the dvd deivice, but it refused to do the same in pc with vcl media player.
The evil one that still refuses to show the subtitles was my first to watch with your player and i almost had a nervous breakdown trying to fix it.
All the dvd i tried after this one didn't have any problem :).
Great work guys.

A request:
In the new default skin, the video controls (contrast, brightness etc) don't appear anywhere, or am i so stupid i cannot find out the way?
In the old skin i checked the prefernces>interface>main interface>wxWidgets>Extended Gui and the show up allright. Is there a way to do the same with the new skin, or any other skin?
If not please if possible think adding the video controls, they are great help, when watching movies.
Thanx a lot for your attention.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 12 Aug 2006 04:55

Available features in skins depend on the creator of the skin.

Greek fellow

Postby Greek fellow » 12 Aug 2006 13:38

Hello again!
Sorry if u are getting tired with me, but i really enjoyed the vlc and i want to use it as a default media player, so i have some problems i have to figure out.

1.When i put an audio cd, right click on it and choose "play with video lan", it all goes well. I can listen to the whole cd i mean... Even this way i cannot add any other audio file. I mean it shows in the playlist if i do so, but it does't play!
But...
If i open the cd and choose a single song and then open with vcl, nothing happens.
Additionally...
If i first open vcl and select "open directory", it doesn't work!
It doesn't work either, if i choose "open file" an select a specific song!

I mean the only way to listen to an audio file is right klick on the cd and choose play with vcl. I cannot add any other file after that!

2. I cannot take snapshots of the movies. I chosed a desired directory to save them but i klick on "snapshot" when i watch a movie and it is never saved.

3. Is it possible to see at once a skin i selected, without passing from proccedure to change the old one first?

Please help me with these problems, they maybe be simple to resolve, but i don't know much of pc, so give me simple steps i have to make.

P.S.
I didn't know if i should open a new topic, if so please move my reply to a new, with the title, "Problems of an unexperienced begginer" :)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”