Changing the VLC icon

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
InvaderZim

Changing the VLC icon

Postby InvaderZim » 29 Jan 2006 08:56

I like using the VLC media player but i don't like the icon. I want to know how i can change the icon it uses. I don't want to go though and change the icon for each file type, i want the new icon to be used as the VLC icon. I have an icon to use but replacing the icon (named favicon) it want use the new icon. Does anyone know how to get it to use the new icon as its default? Thank you in advance

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 Jan 2006 19:42

This is like saying that you don't like the mascot for your favorite teem so you want to change it. :P

Technically this a Windows issue and not a VLC issue. I say this because the icon is built into the executable file and Windows will pick this as the default.

Yes, you can change it but you are going to have to do it manually in every place you don't want it. Remember that when you update or reinstall the program the default will come back.

Postby Guest » 21 Feb 2006 15:54

This is like saying that you don't like the mascot for your favorite teem so you want to change it. :P

Technically this a Windows issue and not a VLC issue. I say this because the icon is built into the executable file and Windows will pick this as the default.

Yes, you can change it but you are going to have to do it manually in every place you don't want it. Remember that when you update or reinstall the program the default will come back.
so how do i change the icon then in windows..???

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 Feb 2006 19:22

so how do i change the icon then in windows..???
For the Start Menu icons, right click on the icon and select Properties then change the icon.

For file types associated with VLC, open My Computer and select Tools, Folder Options, File Types then scroll down the list. Each time you see the VLC icon press Advanced and change the icon.

:lol:

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”