Issues with current Release on Windows

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Issues with current Release on Windows

Postby VLC_help » 11 Dec 2008 20:01

http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-0.9 ... _window.3F
that hopefully helps to multimonitor full screen issues.

esperantisto: Tools -> Preferences... Audio and choose visualization from drop down menu.

navysealltblue: problem with all MPEG ifles?

pahb22: could you share us a sample file that does these crashes?

WolvenSpectre
New Cone
New Cone

Postby WolvenSpectre » 11 Dec 2008 22:23

I am using dual-screens.. LCD and laptop. When Trying to view in fullscreen on the LCD it the fullscreen is shown on my laptop-screen with the latest version.
Experiencing the same problem. Showing on monitor rather than LCD TV, 0.9.6 was fine.

Any fix for this?
hi.... having same problem with 0.98a. Anyone any ideas???
me +1

Yeah, me too. .9.8a refuses to use the secondary monitor like I tell it too. This means I will have to uninstall the latest version and go back until you can fix it. Hope it is soon. :?

Oh, and I just thought to add that my monitors are 2 diffrent resolutions, I am running XP home SP3 upto date and am on an Nvidia 7300 card. It happens on all video formats I had available. Also Maximizing the player in the secondary window still works, so if you can find the fix for this quick I may not have to reinstall. :)

Aqualung
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Aqualung » 11 Dec 2008 23:01

dual monitor support, full screen on secondary monitor switches to primary screen.
Myeah, same for me. To VLC devs.: guys, how does this happen?: every time you come up with a new version, some feature that was working fine in previous releases goes bust. Why is this happening?

WolvenSpectre
New Cone
New Cone

Postby WolvenSpectre » 12 Dec 2008 03:04

me +1

Yeah, me too. .9.8a refuses to use the secondary monitor like I tell it too. This means I will have to uninstall the latest version and go back until you can fix it. Hope it is soon. :?

Oh, and I just thought to add that my monitors are 2 diffrent resolutions, I am running XP home SP3 upto date and am on an Nvidia 7300 card. It happens on all video formats I had available. Also Maximizing the player in the secondary window still works, so if you can find the fix for this quick I may not have to reinstall. :)

I have found a bit of a kludgy work around that works but you have to sacrifice your handy dandy OSD Controls.

First you put the VLC window in the secondary display and then launch the file you wish to watch. Right Click the video playback and under interface choose "minimal". This should give you a video window with a standard titlebar at the top. Maximize this window. Then Right Click on the video again choose interface/toggle fullscreen. This will get rid of the titlebar. If your video then switches to the primary monitor, toggle fullscreen again.

hope this helps someone.

madmax_2069

Postby madmax_2069 » 12 Dec 2008 06:51

i see issues with the Shoutcast TV streams. any stream i watch hiccups (plays for a minute then stutters once and continues to play). eventually playback will stall out and i have to click stop and press play and the video will start to play again.

also i see sometimes when the server switches a video VLC sometimes dont adjust the video size properly (looks like its zoomed in on the video) but when i stop and play it does fine.

markjl
New Cone
New Cone

Postby markjl » 12 Dec 2008 14:12

Hello. Never had a bug with vlc before. Now every time I read a DVD it crashes
Dont know what details to give you to debug. Regards

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 12 Dec 2008 20:57

every time you come up with a new version, some feature that was working fine in previous releases goes bust. Why is this happening?
There aren't any testers. And I don't run multimonitor setup so I can't test features like this.

madmax_2069: could you give some URL that shows this behavior?

markjl: how do you open then DVD?

ethicaldefense
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ethicaldefense » 13 Dec 2008 11:10

Hi,

i have installed vlc-0.9.6-win32 version in my machine . Previously i was played all songs in one equalizer mode(i will set equalizer certain position) but now each and every song starting i am going to enable the equalizer. its not a good one. Because if we are recoding more songs to tape means each and every time we are going to enable the equalizer.

i love previous edition. Nice one.vlc-0.8.6d-win32

Any idea.?

blackthorne16
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby blackthorne16 » 13 Dec 2008 13:32

Navigation Problems in WMV files (VLC = 0.9.8a, OS = Win2000)

First of all: damned fine work you've already achieved, developers! Best player out there.
Well, the problems don't occur with AVI (e.g. XVID) files. There, everything is fine. With a WMV file (video = WMV3, audio = WMA2), I experience the following navigation phenomena:

Shift+Left: direction correct, but much bigger jump than the specified 3 sec (approx. 10-15 sec)
Shift+Right: direction wrong, jumps back like Shift+Left
Alt+Left: direction correct, but jump bigger than the specified 10 sec (approx. 20-30 sec)
Alt+Right: unable to jump, seems to jump back to the same point in the file (maybe the location of the last full-picture frame?)
Ctrl+Left/Right: work fine (minimal jump difference to the specified 60 sec)

Click in progress bar / Drag of the slider: unlike in AVI files where the slider stays exactly at the point where you dragged it or where you clicked, in WMV files, the slider makes a small jump back (no real issue - an aesthetic last tidying-up thing for the 1.0 version).

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 13 Dec 2008 21:30

ethicaldefense: enable EQ from Tools -> preferences... not from Extended GUI. The extended GUI one is broken.

blackthorne16: WMV/ASF rewind/forward doesn't work correctly.
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/2272

fmustang76
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fmustang76 » 14 Dec 2008 04:27

All .9 series have a problem of repeating the first item in the playlist when that playlist is started or created using the Web Interface. I give a more detailed explanation in the following post. 0.8.6i and before did not exhibit this problem. Anyone else have this or just me?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=53480

madmax_2069

Postby madmax_2069 » 14 Dec 2008 07:07

madmax_2069: could you give some URL that shows this behavior?
the Desync shoutcast tv stream does it

Zitalein
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Zitalein » 14 Dec 2008 11:15

I couldn't find a similar issue, so I have to think, everybody knows the answer: how to install vlc 0.9.8a without a setup.exe?
I have acquried it by Apphit.com -- and since I couldn't find a setup.exe, I just thought, it's enough to unpack it, and start the program.
It has functioned fine, but at the next computerstart the update checker told me again, that it is not yet installed -- and at starting of a media-file it was starting with the old version of VLC. If I go to the library of 0.9.8a, then I can start the newer version, however, it is not installed.
I would like to know, how to install it, in order to use it as a default program for media-files.

fpohl
New Cone
New Cone

FLAC playback stops

Postby fpohl » 14 Dec 2008 12:34

I found a rare(?) FLAC playback bug in VLC 0.8.6i through 1.0.0-git.

Here's what happens when I start playing dans1.flac:
00:00 - 9 seconds of silence (this is normal, since there's
silence in the stream)
00:09 - music begins to play (slightly distorted, it's normal,
because the original wave sounds the same way)
00:12 - VLC stops

Apparently there's a cca. 11 sec region in the stream VLC doesn't
like, because it stops immediately if I place the playing position
indicator inside the "zone", between 00:12 - 00:23 secs. No problems
after 00:24. (Time display always show 00:00 on 0.8.6i.)

The audio file was compressed by flac.exe (ver. 1.1.2), it can be
played elsewhere (e.g. in WinAMP v2.95 with in_flac.dll) without
audible glitches or problems. If I uncompress dans1.flac with
flac.exe and re-compress it with the newest flac.exe (ver. 1.2.1),
then VLC plays it smoothly, so it seems that only the playback of
older FLAC audio files can be problematic.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 14 Dec 2008 18:39

Zitalein: You have two different VLC versions in your computer. If you want installer, download it from http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ (and remember to uninstall the old one before installing new)

fpohl: thanks, confirmed. trac opened
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/2349

madmax_2069: ?

benwillcox
New Cone
New Cone

Postby benwillcox » 14 Dec 2008 21:11

Hi.
I am using the Panoramix filter with VLC to split the image into two, with a blend area in the middle, and sending each half out my Nvidia's two outputs to two CRT projectors.

SNIP....

What happends is you can play the movie, and VLC/Panoramix producess 2 windows for video but places them both on the primary monitor output, and they are both black all the time.
Hi Henrik I was just going to post on here about the same problem, but I see you beat me to it!
As you know I have the same issue, I have just tried the latest release 0.9.8 but the problem is still there. The last time discovered an issue with VLC, I had to track down the exact build where the problem started occurred, then by opening a trac ticket someone was able to identify the change and then revert it. (This was an issue where the SPDIF output stopped working).
Do you have any idea which nightly build stopped the panoramix working?

Ben

Sinobi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sinobi » 15 Dec 2008 06:32

Do you have any idea which nightly build stopped the panoramix working?
As I remember it, it was sometime in june or july.
If you do a binary breakdown, you should be able to find it in 6 try's.
Unfortunatly I am testing digital projectors for a magazin at the moment, so cables, setup and software are very different right now,
else I would have done it my self.

Henrik

josephrot
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.1.5
Operating System: Windows

Re: .0.9.8a not playing some .WMV

Postby josephrot » 15 Dec 2008 11:33

Subject: Re: .0.9.8a not playing some .WMV

Seen using .0.9.8a .EXE on Windows XP systems, various running XP SP1 and SP2. Win SP3 no longer trusted.
All systems using modern nVidia video cards / motherboard video

Problem: SOME .WMV not playing in .0.9.8a.

Symptoms: .0.9.8a app opens, load in or drag-and-drop in a subject .WMV. Player window opens, but nothing seen. In many instances, the "progress moving pointer" in .0.9.8a does not move either.

This is not a constant problem, as many other .WMV files with or without audio, play fine in VLC .0.9.8a. The .WMV's that NOT play in VLC seem properly constructed and play accordingly in other players, most notably Windows Media Player 10 and 11.

Example non-playing file Uploaded to ftp://streams.videolan.org/incoming/:

ws_in_depth_wmv.wmv

Size: 1.47MB

Will check again, but wanted to upload one of the example .WMV's along with this message... but the VLAN Upload server ( FTP samples server ) will not connect using FireFTP at all (no reason it should not) at all so I can send something(!)

We need to be able to attach a file HERE in the Forum! MUCH easier than this FTP way.

Joe Rotello
USA
EMail: josephrot@aol.com (or) info@windowgroup.com

garwalde
New Cone
New Cone

Postby garwalde » 15 Dec 2008 18:39

Solution to the dual screen issue when full screen mode force the player to the primary screen:

Tools-->Interface---->Uncheck Integrate Video in interface

Move the unattached video window to the secondary screen, maximize and it should work, does so for me anyway i Win XP.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 15 Dec 2008 20:40

We need to be able to attach a file HERE in the Forum! MUCH easier than this FTP way.
Not gonna happen. Use rapidshare, megaupload or similar service.

Sinobi and benwillcox: if you can pinpoint when this was broken, someone can check the git for changes that caused this.

Laza
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Laza » 17 Dec 2008 22:53

Solution to the dual screen issue when full screen mode force the player to the primary screen:

Tools-->Interface---->Uncheck Integrate Video in interface

Move the unattached video window to the secondary screen, maximize and it should work, does so for me anyway i Win XP.
thanks, it works... almost

the video window keeps opening in the primary screen for each new video. It gets annoying to put it back in the correct screen all the time.

johnew
New Cone
New Cone

Postby johnew » 19 Dec 2008 01:06

Deleted: Put in wrong section.
Last edited by johnew on 20 Dec 2008 05:50, edited 1 time in total.

VLC-Fan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VLC-Fan » 19 Dec 2008 15:03

HerrBert
New Cone
New Cone

Postby HerrBert » 19 Dec 2008 18:25

If working with ATI extended Dualscreen VLC Fullscreen doesnt work correct.
- moving VLC 2 second screen
- Click on VLC Fullscreen
- Fullscreen appears at the master Screen
- Click 2 normal screen
- VLC is back to secondscreen

getting back 2 older VLC Version -> works perfect

benwillcox
New Cone
New Cone

Postby benwillcox » 20 Dec 2008 19:36

Sinobi and benwillcox: if you can pinpoint when this was broken, someone can check the git for changes that caused this.
OK I have tested a few of the nightly builds from nightlies.videolan.org, and the last working version I could find was 0.9.0 built on the 18th August 2008. The About box says 'Based on Git commit: 7024531033'.

The next build version available on nightlies.videolan.org is 0.9.1 built on 1st September 2008. This one is 'Based on Git commit: 4b80f77773', and is the first one I can find that exhibits the problems mentioned earlier in the thread, i.e. black windows and stuttering audio.

Hopefully this will help someone identify where the problem has occurred, unfortunately I couldn't find any binary builds in between those two so there is a 2 week window where the offending commit could have happened. I will also open a Trac ticket with this information so that the issue is properly logged.

Edit: trac ticket number 2364, can be found here: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/2364

Thanks,
Ben

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”