TROUBLE VEIWING VIDEO USING VLC

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
JAGADISH
New Cone
New Cone

TROUBLE VEIWING VIDEO USING VLC

Postby JAGADISH » 22 Mar 2007 04:29

HI
I am jag. i had downloaded the vlc player. i am having trouble watching the video. the audio is perfect. i have downloaded the vlc player on a toshiba laptop with windows vista home premium version. please advice.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 22 Mar 2007 05:07

What exactly is your trouble? Do you get a black screen when playing video files? Am I asking these questions just to bring up my post count? :P

Seriously, what’s up. :)

JessGarcia
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JessGarcia » 29 Mar 2007 03:26

hey, i'm having the same exact problem! i have a toshiba laptop as well and windows vista. i downloaded video lan and the first time everything worked fine but then i experienced the same problem where the audio works perfect but the video doesn't show. i've looked at all the settings and read the FAQ page but there is nothing on this.

and yes the video is just a black screen when playing the files!

is this something to do with having windows vista... like a compatability thing or something or is it something else? can the problem be fixed?

and also it's all video files that won't work.

i also uninstalled video lan and went back and reinstalled video lan and the problem still exists.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 29 Mar 2007 04:20

is this something to do with having windows vista... like a compatability thing or something or is it something else?

It has everything to do with compatibility issues with Vista, but it’s not just VLC.
Try this, go to: Preferences > Video > Output modules (check the “Advanced options” box). Select an output module from the dropdown box, save and restart VLC.
can the problem be fixed?
Ask Microsoft and those who support them. :P

JessGarcia
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JessGarcia » 29 Mar 2007 04:41

is this something to do with having windows vista... like a compatability thing or something or is it something else?

It has everything to do with compatibility issues with Vista, but it’s not just VLC.
Try this, go to: Preferences > Video > Output modules (check the “Advanced options” box). Select an output module from the dropdown box, save and restart VLC.
Ok, I tried this and the video still doesn't show up. Thanks for the suggestions though...

wrenhal
New Cone
New Cone

output module works

Postby wrenhal » 29 Mar 2007 17:06

The output module fix works if you choose GDI or directX (standard, not 3d). Haven't tested others. DirectX seems to give a better output than GDI though.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 29 Mar 2007 22:27

If DirectX works, stick with it. The “Windows GDI video output” puts all the work of decoding a video onto your processor, whereas “DirectX video output” uses your video card’s acceleration and drivers; make sure your video drivers are up to date. :wink:

JessGarcia
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JessGarcia » 30 Mar 2007 00:09

ok i just now realized when i go into the preferences under video i don't see a drop down list that lets you pick a output module. here's 2 screencaps...

wrenhal
New Cone
New Cone

Preferences

Postby wrenhal » 30 Mar 2007 01:08

I think you missed the part of clicking the plus next to VIDEO in the preferences. That brings up several options including OUTPUT MODULES which is where you can choose the directX option.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 30 Mar 2007 01:32

Yup, click the plus (+) next to “Video” and also make sure to check the “Advanced options” box or it won’t appear then either.

I wish VLC could do that little thing in the taskbar like Windows media player. Oh well. 8)

JessGarcia
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JessGarcia » 30 Mar 2007 06:41

oh wow, thank you, both! :D
i can't believe i didn't even think to click the + next to it. duh.
so thank you SO much because it works perfectly now!

oh yeah and that would be awesome if VLC did that little thing in the task bar. i love that it does it for windows media player. it's a nice option.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”