QT4 Consolidation Thread - VLC's New Interface

Feature requests for VLC.
CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 21 May 2007 19:57

The icons I use are far cooler :P
Snores. 8)

You want some good icons? Check out these: GUIChamps
More?: Best-Skins

I run multiple desktops all with different icons and backgrounds, though this "Cartoony" look is the one I prefer at the moment. :P

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 22 May 2007 19:18

Hey j-b, do you know the "Go to specific Time" tab that's in the tools menu? Someone once suggested maybe having a stop time included with it. I was wondering if you could possible make it work with the "Repeat one" function as well so that lets say there's a 6 minute song and you go to the time of 0:03:30, when the "Repeat one" function is on and it gets to the end of the song, or to the stop time, it will restart at the 0:03:30 time that you've set instead of at the beginning of the song. Maybe? Possibly? :)

Oh and just for the fun of it I changed this up a bit: :P

Start time/Stop time:

Hey I just realized that if this works it will be kinda like the A-B repeat feature we've been asking for, although not as good and easy to use.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 22 May 2007 20:10

Well, the stop-time is not perfectly functionnable in VLC, so I would prefer not to do that. :D
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

d_a
New Cone
New Cone

Postby d_a » 23 May 2007 05:44

Hello, this is my first post here. Today I was setting my Preferences with VLC player and this option to 'Automatically hide interface at start up' or 'Start VLC player minimized' is just the option I am looking for. j-b, you say "Done too." meaning you have added this option, am I right?

My question is, under what version is or has this option been added to? Is it in the current new v.0.8.6b version release or in an up-and-coming release, like the v.0.9.0-svn version of VLC player. I currently have the v.0.8.6a version. Thank you in advance j-b.
Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting. :)

This option is probably only going to be for the upcoming version of VLC 0.9.0. I'm using the latest nightly build and I don't see this in there just yet, so maybe he'll :twisted: (he will :P) add this later on. You can try out the nightly builds if you want: VLC Nighties.
Thank you CloudStalker for the information. I sure hope the upcoming verison of VLC, v.0.9.0 will have the "Start player minimized" option. And thank you as well for the VLC Nighties link, and take care. -bye

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 23 May 2007 16:46

vlc_fan-01
[#20] ALBUM ART - VLC should display extra metadata from audio

Well my point has been made clear, this would be nice to view in VLC
Yup. :)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 May 2007 16:52

vlc_fan-01
[#20] ALBUM ART - VLC should display extra metadata from audio

Well my point has been made clear, this would be nice to view in VLC
Yup. :)
I don't see what that means and what is not implemented ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 23 May 2007 17:12

Let me see if I understand it. If you test with "grrrrr" Windows media player :roll: you should be able to right-click or something to bring up a 'find album art' directory which should allow you to use any JPEG or PNG as an album art, at least that's how I think it works. It would make it a little easier then having to go through some process of converting or adding to the JPEG/PNG so that it's read as album art by VLC. It will become obvious soon that I apparently don't know what I'm talking about. :oops:

As for the second part, assuming that it has not been completed yet, when you click on the Information tab it doesn't show all that the actual meta data contains, artist, title, duration, ect. I've noticed this with a few audio formats (FLAC being one of them) and a lot of video formats. even if I were to manually put the information into the file it still won't appear within VLC.

vlc_fan-01
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 23 May 2007 17:49

Let me see if I understand it. If you test with "grrrrr" Windows media player :roll: you should be able to right-click or something to bring up a 'find album art' directory which should allow you to use any JPEG or PNG as an album art, at least that's how I think it works. It would make it a little easier then having to go through some process of converting or adding to the JPEG/PNG so that it's read as album art by VLC. It will become obvious soon that I apparently don't know what I'm talking about. :oops:

As for the second part, assuming that it has not been completed yet, when you click on the Information tab it doesn't show all that the actual meta data contains, artist, title, duration, ect. I've noticed this with a few audio formats (FLAC being one of them) and a lot of video formats. even if I were to manually put the information into the file it still won't appear within VLC.

I agree, thanks for the support, I would like to see album art and other id3 in VLC, VLC could easily be the best media player out there and with keeping to one thing - its OPEN SOURCE.

vlc_fan-01

what about this

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 23 May 2007 17:50

what about this following idea

[quoteHi, everyone at VLC I am a mega fan of this program and use it all the time as I refuse to install codecs, thank all crators and developers for the creation of this fine app

My request is is that there ae programs out there and small programs such as the nice ImageGrabber II which can create a thumbnail image from a video

like this one I found for example (only found on the internet as example)
thumbnail example
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3995/srssnu8pl8.jpg

It would be so nice if alongsie 'snapshot', a devloper can write in the programs right click a 'thumbnail snapshot' in where vlc without needing for the file to be played wil save a thumbnail image of the entire video.

With these thumbnail programs you need all these codecs installed to decode the files, I hate that

A small dialog box can pop up in where you specify the thumbnail, like this image below I made,
Image[/img][/quote]

MetalheadGautham
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9 series
Operating System: ArchLinux i686

Postby MetalheadGautham » 23 May 2007 18:37

cool idea... guess it will still take time to implement, as usual.
Visit: VLC and Other alternatives to Popular Media Players
On Linux, blindly use VLC, SMPlayer, Kaffeine, GXine, Totem and MPlayer
PM requests to attend to problems will not be entertained
Please post your question in the RIGHT forum.
SEARCH before posting to see if your question's been already answered

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 23 May 2007 18:46

Here's an alternative for now: Here

And yeah I guess it would take a little while for it to be implemented considering there are only a handful of developers currently working on the project. :P

They welcome patchs and their source code is available, don't know what that means for most of us regular people though. 8)

MetalheadGautham
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby MetalheadGautham » 23 May 2007 19:02

hey cloudstalker, howcome you managed to reach the 100 post milestone on this thread while my thread of a similar nature is still unnoticed?

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 23 May 2007 19:17

Well if you change your name to "CloudStalker #2" the number of replies will shot straight up :lol:.

[ 8) Serious CloudStalker]
I'm not really sure, maybe it has something to do with the fact that people are more interested in the new design of VLC and a little less interested in the technical side of things, that, and I supply a plethora of pretty pic...pretty COOL pictures that just make it more interesting to view, I guess. 8)

Most of the things that I add aren't even part of the player :P. Sadly though from the way it's going they may never be :(.

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Win7 Pro / OS X 10.7

Postby 3breadt » 25 May 2007 11:27

I gave you a reply on the other theme were you asked for how to put album art into music files viewtopic.php?t=34082
-- 3breadt (aka altglass)

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 26 May 2007 02:45

I gave you a reply on the other theme were you asked for how to put album art into music files viewtopic.php?t=34082
Well I was just explaining what was mentioned earlier, I haven't had the chance to try out the link anyways but I will soon. :)

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 26 May 2007 02:55

[#21] Find Target of Item in Playlist

Awhile ago someone mentioned something about deleting the actual files from the computer when they're deleted from the playlist. An alternative to this might be a "Find Target" when the user right-clicks on an item in the playlist which will bring them to the directory in which it is stored.

"Find Target" pop-up menu:

Might this be possible? :)

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Win7 Pro / OS X 10.7

Postby 3breadt » 26 May 2007 12:32

I would call it much rather "Open containing folder", Find target doesn't tell the user anything about what this function would do.

BTW: is it normal that the duration and current position when playing flac files is not displayed?
-- 3breadt (aka altglass)

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 26 May 2007 23:37

I would call it much rather "Open containing folder", Find target doesn't tell the user anything about what this function would do.

eh...it would be too long to fit within the menu without making a second line. 8)
BTW: is it normal that the duration and current position when playing flac files is not displayed?
I don't think so. It might be the way in which VLC handles it. There's is a ticket on it already so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. There was a somewhat similar discussion about this here: WMAL and FLAC

MetalheadGautham
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby MetalheadGautham » 27 May 2007 11:36

hey cloudy, do you mind if I use your thread?

i think the playlist must not block view of the playing window. it must extend downwards instead. and we need a seperate library and playlist.

pvdeejay
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pvdeejay » 03 Jun 2007 11:31

Hello all,
This is not directly related to the QT4 interface development, but I've found the info upcoming version of VLC media player 0.9.0 will include QT4 based UI as default. Will WX interface be available as a choice or is it going to be removed at all? I am asking this because current WX interface is perfectly accessible to people using screen-reading technologies under windows. And as a negative thing I haven't found any QT4 based gui accessible to this group of users. So if WX interface will be removed We cant use VLC any more besides using it from the command line. Can anyone let me know what are the plans please?
United Audio Team aka The lazy bastardz

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 03 Jun 2007 11:53

The plan is to stop distributing WX for Windows.
However the Qt4 GUI will look a lot like WX, so I don't really see the problem. If you want to test, there are development versions available.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 03 Jun 2007 19:12

Hey j-b, I just wanted to mention that you may have missed something in the preferences > Video > Output modules > DirectX:

Where's the Refresh button.

Maybe I'm missing something (don't say it :x).

I havent checked into this thread for a while (stupid computer problems :x) but I'll post some more ideas later.

pvdeejay
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pvdeejay » 03 Jun 2007 20:16

The plan is to stop distributing WX for Windows.
However the Qt4 GUI will look a lot like WX, so I don't really see the problem. If you want to test, there are development versions available.
Hello,
please don't do that. It is not a look problem but problem of accessibility for blind people. Trolltech claims to support accessibility apis on windows but I have never seen a QT4 based application accessible to the assistive technologies like freedom scientific's Jaws for windows is. I have downloaded today's nightly and I cant use QT4 guy at all. The only thing I can see it's window title.
Please think about it more. There were no people going to ask for such features because wxWidgets is perfectly accessible so you even don't know howmany blind users VLC has. And now in the time of new standards when IBM has brought IAccessible2 what is going to be supported by mozilla firefox and thunderbird 3 this is another option for VLC but I think some work is involved. And keeping wxWidgets may not hurt anyone I believe. Making QT4 gui more accessible requires creating custom QT plugins or subclassing some classes. Can you look into it please if there is no way to keep wx there? Here is some info on accessibility features which I cant manage to get working so something from the application's side is required.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 03 Jun 2007 20:52

I'll give an eye on it. But you must understand our decision too. Compiling and adapting old modules takes a lot of time.

In fact I don't have any idea of what should be done for example. I'll do what I can do, but this is not prioritary. It can be done, once we accomplished the new GUI.

If we need to code more to get an accessible GUI, so be it.

For 0.9.0, I plan to distribute wx as a separable plugin that you can use instead of Qt4. But the problem will be for future.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

pvdeejay
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pvdeejay » 03 Jun 2007 21:13

thanks, I am happy that you are open for the discussion on this and perhaps able to help. I know nothing about QT4 development but generally I as a developer of NVDA (a free and open source screen reader for windows) can do some basic programming If you can please at least try to figure it out perhaps I will be able to help then. The problem is that I can find no examples or further documentation except of the link I have posted. If there is wx interface planned for 0.9.0 then this is not so critical but is good to know that it is time to start looking and counting all the possibilities.

thanks once again for your support

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”