Media Controls For VLC web player?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
crabcakes
New Cone
New Cone

Media Controls For VLC web player?

Postby crabcakes » 01 Apr 2011 23:39

The problem:
If you have the VLC plugin installed and you follow a direct link to a media file, it opens up in the browser and starts playing after a brief buffer time. That works fine, except there is no way to control the playback; there are no buttons or even keyboard shortcuts you can use to do basic things like pause or fast-forward.

To be clear, I am not talking about embedded videos within web pages. I am talking about opening a link to a video or audio file in the browser.
This guy puts the problem succinctly. I want to be able to able to listen to podcasts in Firefox (like I can with the quicktime player) with VLC. I have spent researched thoroughly but haven't found a solution thus far. Thnx for any help.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Media Controls For VLC web player?

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 02 Apr 2011 08:56

When I follow a direct to a media file, the browser opens the stand-alone player... and that's out-of-the-box. I don't see your problem.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Mags
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Media Controls For VLC web player?

Postby Mags » 02 Apr 2011 19:05

I have searched the forum and this is the closest post that I can find which is similar to what I want to do.

What I want to do: I want to add a video (a short 2 min mp4 video) to a web page and be able to have it viewed on multiple OS and or browsers, including iPad and iPhone.

I've done my research and think VLC player plugin is the best solution for this. I've also researched and found instructions on how to add VLC to a website (but they are for older versions of VLC player) I also found instructions on how to add VLC 1.1.7.

I tried out both codes and can get the video to auto run when auto play is set to yes (but no controls). But I don't want the video to start automatically, so when I set auto play to no I get a blank black screen and no controls to be able to start playing the video.

I've done a lot of looking and can't find anything to show me how to set up adding the controls.

Can you help?

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”