Enhancements to the Live555 library

Just have a drink and chat
hterefe1
New Cone
New Cone

Enhancements to the Live555 library

Postby hterefe1 » 28 May 2010 17:36

Hey Folks,

I'd like to get some advice on the best way to proceed with some code I developed. Lately, I have
done a significant amount of work on the Live555 library. Live555 does not have a forum and I doubt
the code I developed would be rolled back into the library, because it seems to be under pretty
tight control. So I was considering spinning off a new project.

The features developed, beyond the basic library, revolve mainly around trick play (fast forward, rewind, etc.):

- Rewrote the Trick Play code to be more efficient and removed some bugs (changed the way the TS Stream was generated)
- Code to Encrypted MPEG2 Transport Streams (Verimatrix). Normal play and trick play
- Support H.264 trick play (it could already support normal play H.264)

Additionally, I modified and extended the library to decouple the disk storage from the library. This
allowed me to replace the standard disk IO with a different mechanism for reading and writing streams to disk.
This was required to support a network PVR rewind buffer, where the stream is not stored in a single file and
revolves so a single file does not grow endlessly.

Also I developed a library for processing transport streams using a Source->Filter->Filter->Sink concept.
This libary was used originally to process multiple channels of live MPEG2 transport streams. There are the
expected source and sink filters (file, TCP, UDP) but also filters for indexing MPEG2 and H.264 as well as
SCTE-35 markup used for commercial insertion. This also allows the transport stream to be indexed in real-time
so a person could "rewind" from live, with live only being delayed by 1 or 2 seconds.

This was all developed while I was building a network PVR for my house using a central server and Amino Settops.
All code was developed to be buildable on Windows or Linux (32 or 64 bit)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to roll this back into the open source community or otherwise
leverage this work?

Regards,
Henry Terefenko

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Enhancements to the Live555 library

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 29 May 2010 18:11

You sent the changes to Ross ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

xtophe
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby xtophe » 01 Jun 2010 16:41

yes even if Ross control on live555 is tightvspecialv... , first step is too see what he thinks about it.

Next step is to post the code online somewhere. Either as a patch or as a full source. If you think about maintaining this fork of live555 for some time using some service like sourceforge, google code, github, would be nice
also coming up with a new name would be good so that people are not confused between the 2 versions

Does the VLC module need to be changed to reflect your changes ?
Xtophe

bbasilio
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bbasilio » 06 Sep 2010 18:06

Hi,

I would be interested, like so many in the community, that H.264 video "trick play" be integrated in live555.
Have you tried to put a message in the mailing list as a patch to official release?
Even if the integration in live555 isn't a priority for Ross, many like me can use it as reference until the official release.

Regards,
Bruno Basilio

sridharsontha
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sridharsontha » 17 Sep 2010 17:10

Hi Henry Terefenko,

I am also trying to implement trick play support for H264.. Can you pls share your source code with me? its urgent..
Pls send it to * removed *

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Sridhar Sontha

szbpmf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby szbpmf » 26 Oct 2010 11:14

Hi Henry Terefenko,

I am seeking source code to implement H264 trick play. Can you please send your source code with me?
My email is * removed *

Thanks you!
bpmf

amir_kh
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby amir_kh » 02 Nov 2010 12:06

Hi Henry Terefenko,

I am also trying to implement trick play support for H264.. Would you please share your source code with me?
my mail : * removed *

Thank you

depe
New Cone
New Cone

Postby depe » 09 Nov 2010 15:26

Any news on this subject ?
I think a lot of people is interested in h264 trick play, and may be if we work together we can make a better code.

Regards

Demian

hterefe1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hterefe1 » 07 Jan 2011 22:51

Sorry guys, it has been a while since I have been around. I've been busy with other stuff. If there is still a need for the h.264 indexer I can provide it. As I recall, it did not require any additional changes to the live555 library to make it work. So once you have the index file created and the original stream, you were good to go.

Also, the trick play enhancement was this... in Live555, the trick play stream was constructed by demuxing the video elementary stream from the original transport stream then outputting the frames to a new stream which was wrapped in a new (but different) transport stream. The new method simply uses the original transport packets and fixes up the data which needs adjustment (PMTs, PCRs, etc). The overhead is less, and does not screw up encrypted content. Thus, encrypted content can be stored on the disk and streamed encrypted (in trick play mode), without the overhead of encrypting the trick-play content in real time.

So I think the first thing to do is create a project which provides the h.264 indexing, since it seems to be the most popular aspect of the original post.

Folks who want this utility can send me a private message on this forum and I will get that utility (sourcecode) to you.

Regards,
Henry

duongdu
New Cone
New Cone

Postby duongdu » 16 Feb 2011 05:21

Can you give me the sourcecode, im very interted in your project :)
I can't see the Private Message function in my Control Panel :(

Return to “Coffee Corner”