VLC Player & Hindi subtitle problem

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
tumhara_bijoy
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Player & Hindi subtitle problem

Postby tumhara_bijoy » 27 May 2010 13:48

Hi VLC team,

The VLC player do not seem to be supporting the HINDI fonts as subtitles. I tried all the options you explained, like changing the "text rendering module" to "Freetype2 font renderer" and using the "Mangal true type" font. Also, by changing the default encoding did not help.

Then, I had to search for other option, and I had to use other player [Media Player Classic - Home Cinema latest version] to display my Hindi subtitles.

This is why I wanted the Hindi subtitles to be displayed. My family wanted to watch a English language video. I downloaded the English subtitle file ".srt" file, and translated the file into Hindi language with the help of a open source software "Open Subtitle Translator". The translated files looks something as shown below...

00:00:01,260 --> 00:00:05,180
मेरा नाम Lee Dewyze है.

00:00:07,010 --> 00:00:08,100
ये अनुच्छेद हिन्दी में है.

00:00:08,190 --> 00:00:09,880
मैं एक संगीतकार और एक माँ हूँ.

00:00:11,120 --> 00:00:14,170
मैं अगले अमेरिकन
आइडल हो सकता है.

But, I could not display this translated .srt file using VLC Player, all I could see as "???????". The same .srt file works fine on MPC player.

Guys, please bring the next version with this support, as I really love VLC Player.... :)

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: VLC Player & Hindi subtitle problem

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 27 May 2010 17:11

Lots of question marks means the subtitle file character set is wrong. Please select the correct one.

A font problem would exhibit lots of squares, not lots of question marks.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”