How to lighten video

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
FEast
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 1.0.3
Operating System: Windows XP Pro

How to lighten video

Postby FEast » 24 Jan 2010 19:35

I like to shoot video on my digital camera of my little grandson during our visits. However, I've noticed that, as the day gets darker and indoor lighting has to be enabled, the video portion darkens, often to a point where you can still hear the sound, but can barely recognize anyone in the video. I searched the VL forums, but couldn't find an answer, at least not one I could understand. I also checked all the items in my VLC toolbar, and don't see anything that applies to this problem (thought post processing would help, but no luck there).

I'm hoping there's a way to simply lighten them after they've been shot, or find a setting that will make all of the videos lighter. Barring that, perhaps there's a post processing program I could get that would lighten these videos, just as I'm able to edit photos in my photo programs?

My version of VLC is 1.0.3 (found a new update waiting for me today when I went to watch the video from my grandson's 3rd birthday party today--what fun!), and my OS is XP Pro. Thank you!~Fuchsia
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."~Eleanor Roosevelt

Big women can make it big.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: How to lighten video

Postby VLC_help » 25 Jan 2010 16:47

Tools -> Effects and filters...
and Video effects and Basic and tick Image adjust and change values.

But there is very high possibility that changing those values won't help since most cameras don't shoot proper video on low light environment.

FEast
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 1.0.3
Operating System: Windows XP Pro

Re: How to lighten video

Postby FEast » 25 Jan 2010 17:27

Tools -> Effects and filters...
and Video effects and Basic and tick Image adjust and change values.

But there is very high possibility that changing those values won't help since most cameras don't shoot proper video on low light environment.
It worked beautifully! I fiddled with the gamma, and you can see everything I shot very clearly. I haven't been happy with Kodak over the very slow shutter speed on my camera, but it looks like it takes pretty good video. I'm just sorry I didn't try using the video option a long time ago. Thank you SO much!
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."~Eleanor Roosevelt

Big women can make it big.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”