VLC freezing playback

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Jimmy

VLC freezing playback

Postby Jimmy » 18 Dec 2004 11:43

Hi!

Sometimes when I watched a divx the video playback freezed for 0-3 seconds, the audio went on tho.

I noticed it happend with more complex graphics. I remember those two examples:
1. The waving flag at the beginning of 'Saving private Ryan'
2. The flowing brook in 'The village'

Plus I have a .mpg music video that freezes after two seconds (both audio and video) and never continues. It's not a good quality video, but it works in WMP or BSplayer.

My system: WinXP, Acer notebook, AXP-M 2400+ (but I run it on 796Mhz when I watch movies, because I never saw a big CPU consumption), 700MB ram, 4200rpm Toshiba harddisk, VLC 0.8.1

Jimmy

Postby Jimmy » 14 Jan 2005 17:31

It happened again with the movie 'The incredibles', (Xvid backup), cd2. At around 20m50s the picture freezed for 10-15 seconds, and the picture was jerky all the time that the boy was running in the forest.

It played fine on WMP and BSplayer.

I tried this on two computers, one WXP SP1 and one SP2.

Alexsource

Postby Alexsource » 14 Jan 2005 18:00

It sounds like the late picture skipping thingy i'm getting with a number of files. Check my posts over here. :wink:

me too

Postby me too » 15 Jan 2005 05:06

Its really annoying when searching movie video just freezes. Audio usually works fine. :(

work around

Postby Guest » 15 Jan 2005 05:50

I have had the same problem on certain files.
One thing that has worked is hitting Faster (cmd=) then Slower (cmd -).

This seems to "jump start" the video.

Try it out, see what happens.

not alone

Postby Guest » 23 Mar 2005 12:34

i have the same problem with all my divx movies =\ it likes to freeze other wise the concept of this media player is very nice and uniqe due to the not having to have any codecs installed period

walloo

Postby walloo » 28 Mar 2005 09:00

originally posted by maru
===
I found out what's causing the problem during startup!!!!!!!!

The problem isn't the CoreAudio plugin at all but it has something to do with the Coreauido system though. I have FinalCut Pro installed on my system.
It registers a DVCPROHDMuxer.component on the system.
During aout creation this componente gets called and needs a looooong time to init.
Removing the component from the /Library/Quicktime directory gives me instant starting times with VLC.
It is a workaround though, since I need the component for FCPRO

Can someone experiencing the same problem take a look at the /Library/Quicktime, ~Library/Quicktime directories and check if they have other componentes installed which cause this behaviour too?

Mike
===

if there is a better fix, search this whole forum for "DVCPROJDMUXER.COMPONENT' and then help by posting that newer fix all over this forum.

thanks maru.
-walloo.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”