HOW DO YOU SAVE EQUALIZER PRESETS IN VLC?????

macOS specific usage questions
acuraice
New Cone
New Cone

HOW DO YOU SAVE EQUALIZER PRESETS IN VLC?????

Postby acuraice » 10 Jun 2008 05:53

HOW DO YOU SAVE EQUALIZER PRESETS IN VLC????? everytime the player is launched they must be selected from the drop down menu and " activated " or "enabled" from that pop up menu. even if you go to the preferences and goto audio with advacnced tab enabled, you can scroll to the option settings for the auido presets. there you find a list of the avaible presets to choose from, but even if you select one (example:full bass and full treble)and then click "SAVE" , the next time you quit and launch the player it is not enabled automatically, the process must be done everytime to use a specific audio preset in vlc. thank you in advance to anyone who solves this issue for me.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: HOW DO YOU SAVE EQUALIZER PRESETS IN VLC?????

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 10 Jun 2008 07:52

not implemented.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

acuraice
New Cone
New Cone

Postby acuraice » 12 Jun 2008 08:53

not implemented???????????????????????????????????????????? hasnt it occured to any of the developers of the almost flawless video player "to implement" this feature into their program?????????????????????????? i am sure that all the people who have clicked onto this specifc thread or post all agree that this needs to be addressed to make vlc the best video player out there. Please enable a "save" presets feature so that a specific audio setting may be enjoyed each and everytime the player is launced without having to do it manually. it can't be that hard to turn this feature on, can it?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 12 Jun 2008 09:39

No, but it needs time to be coded though :D
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Onopoc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Onopoc » 15 Dec 2008 06:27

To request the new feature to Create/Save/Load an equalizer setting click the following link then click the POSTREPLY button:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19175&start=0

thetoastman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby thetoastman » 28 Jan 2009 02:08

It's even worse thank that.

If you create a playlist with the right settings (volume, etc.), the equalizer is reset for every song.

I typically like to control the volume from the task bar, so I have to set a DB of about -5. When a new song comes on, I'm blasted out of my chair.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Jan 2009 02:57

It's even worse thank that.

If you create a playlist with the right settings (volume, etc.), the equalizer is reset for every song.

I typically like to control the volume from the task bar, so I have to set a DB of about -5. When a new song comes on, I'm blasted out of my chair.
Fixed in 0.9.9
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

ervdoggie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ervdoggie » 17 Jul 2009 22:09

Hello, I'm using VLC 1.0.0 for the Mac, and I must admit, I'm loving this more and more and more.

Please include the ability to save/load equalizer presets. This is soo much nicer than iTunes or other media players when you just simply want to fire up audio/video streams with "less overhead" than iTunes uses when it loads.

Thanks!

mikewest
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mikewest » 20 Nov 2010 15:33

Please add this functionality

sach160
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sach160 » 21 Jan 2011 13:19

+1 it's insane that this basic functionality was't built in from the start... still nothing rivals Windows Media Player having to press ctrl+p instead of space to pause. Microsoft c an be proud of that :D

Paladin
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 1.8.8
Operating System: Windows XP

Postby Paladin » 07 Apr 2011 22:42

Hey I've got the trick for this thing called 'equalizer settings on VLC". :mrgreen:

-on VLC 1.8.8 version press Ctrl+P to go on Preferences settings (Tools, Preferences)
-on the bottom left at "Show settings" choose "All"
-in left panel choose Audio > unfold (Audio > Filters) > press Filter and choose "Equalizer with 10 bands"
-in the left panel click on "Equalizer" (Filters, Equalizer)
-in the "Bands gain" label type the value for equalizer:
ex. -0.40, 0, 0.80, 2.70, 4.00, 4.20, 0.60, 2.10, 6.50, 6.50 > 10 bands
and "Global gain" > 10.00 or less
-in the bottom right click "Save".

That's all folks!

King Regards,
Cristian Tudorache.

Mosrite
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mosrite » 08 Jun 2011 21:12

YOU ROCK Cristian!
Thanks mucho!!!

weinleiche
New Cone
New Cone

Postby weinleiche » 29 Oct 2011 15:56

Erm, small question: Are you serious? One have to make his settings in the equalizer window until it sounds good, and then..... then one has to measure the sliders with some sort of ruler from the monitor, write the results down to a sheet of paper, go into the preferences, fill in the measured values and press the save button in order to just get his equalizer settings everytime he's starting vlc??? :shock: Hey, it's a computer program not an abacus pattern.....

Wow.... what exactly is the complexity of not getting a "Save" button in the equalizer view in the last three years? I mean, I would code it straight away and contribute it, the only problem is, that I'm not used to code C++ GUI and so I would need a tremendous amount of time to find the right places in the code and to find out the right way to code into VLC to get it working, which of course isn't very efficient. I think a guy familiar with the VLC code should be able to implement this in 15 minutes in a quick 'n dirty manner. Let's say 1 hour if he wants to make it clean. Is there really no interest in implementing such a basic feature?

IronMaiden
New Cone
New Cone

Postby IronMaiden » 09 Jan 2012 17:18

[quote=weinleiche]Erm, small question: Are you serious? One have to make his settings in the equalizer window until it sounds good, and then..... then one has to measure the sliders with some sort of ruler from the monitor, write the results down to a sheet of paper, go into the preferences, fill in the measured values and press the save button in order to just get his equalizer settings everytime he's starting vlc??? [/quote]

You do realize that the numbers are there on the equalizer right? where do you come up with having to measure with a ruler? And since not all music use the same equalizer settings, you need to adjust for your ears anyway. Example you play Rap crap today adjust setting copy the 10 numbers in notepad, you listen to heavy metal tomorrow adjust settings again copy numbers in notepad. List first set as rap, second as heavy metal. Now simply open notepad copy the entire number string paste in equalizer settings.

You do this for all your music until you are happy with the sound and then its as easy as saving presets in equalizer.

Python42
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Python42 » 26 Jan 2012 19:22

I would like to know the answer to this as well. I use VLC mostly for movies. Because I have some hearing loss in the upper registers I have to boost the higher frequencies to compensate. It's a pain having to reposition the sliders every time I open the app. It would be very nice if I could save the settings either as a new preset, or tell VLC to use the current settings as the default on startup.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby kdean » 26 Jan 2012 20:06

You can't that I've seen even though there's a preference section where you can enter in specific numbers. Since there's no Custom preset at minimum, each time you restart it resets to the preset that was selected before you customized it. They really need to add saving.

Zabalero
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Zabalero » 12 Feb 2012 14:36

Just can't believe this thread even exists.

I've been a software developer for about 20 years.
Sometimes I get amazed at what some developers are able to create, and sometimes
I get amazed at how much dumb they can be.
This is an example... of both.

Since the beginning of times, moving a slider in a program, means the slider STAYS where you left it.

Having TEN SLIDERS moved, closing the program, and expecting the user to move all of them again every time
the program starts is a FAIL.
No matter how great your software is.
Such a dumb failure, is ruining your software.

Total lack of common sense.

I uninstalled it 3 years ago, thinking it was just an annoying bug, and the software was under development.
Now 3 years later such a simple, common sense matter is still there.

AMAZING.

Uninstalled again... I hope in 2 or 3 years when I'm back common sense finally shows in VideoLAN.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 12 Feb 2012 15:17

We are still waiting for your help... Please google Open Source, this would help you a lot.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby kdean » 14 Feb 2012 04:59

VLC 2.0 while still not having the ability to save your own presets, it does however retain the equalizer settings through restarts now, so that's an improvement.

Zabalero
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Zabalero » 14 Feb 2012 15:32

We are still waiting for your help... Please google Open Source, this would help you a lot.
I don't code anymore.
Now I tell coders how to code properly.
That's what I did.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Feb 2012 18:29

I don't code anymore.
Now I tell coders how to code properly.
That's what I did.
No, you insulted people.
You gave a "you should do this", and did not give any coding advise.
You think you are smart, and yet, you know nothing...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

J0nn_ie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby J0nn_ie » 22 Feb 2012 02:23

Hi,

I'm using an old version 0.8.6d because in my humble opinion (as an over-the-hill developer of 30 years) it is better quality and more reliable compared to the more recent versions. Although this old version has fewer codecs, its very basic user interface has a decent font and graphics, the sound quality is good, it doesn’t crash like the new buggy versions, and last but not least - you can adjust all Equalizer sliders and save all your changes by simply going into Preferences and clicking Save before exiting the program.

Not only are the more recent versions unreliable, they have lost functionality that worked years ago in the old versions. It’s a great pity that this software product is slowly going down-hill.

:(

FredNurk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby FredNurk » 28 Apr 2012 16:10

Hey I've got the trick for this thing called 'equalizer settings on VLC". :mrgreen:

-on VLC 1.8.8 version press Ctrl+P to go on Preferences settings (Tools, Preferences)
-in left panel choose Audio > unfold (Audio > Filters) > press Filter and choose "Equalizer with 10 bands"

That's all folks!

King Regards,
Cristian Tudorache.
Thank you Cristian - that's perfect.

papernpens
New Cone
New Cone

Postby papernpens » 04 Jun 2012 11:56

That's all folks!

King Regards,
Cristian Tudorache.

Wow, this is amazing! From where have you learned all of these? I've been searching about equalizer presets and I've always failed. Now it's great to know that my search is over. But do you mind to explain further about the Bands gain? I cannot further understand. :shock:

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” – Thomas Edison

ZeroPointOne
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ZeroPointOne » 11 Sep 2012 17:15

Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:39 am
No, but it needs time to be coded though :D
4 years later . . . . . . . . .

Is it that hard to dump the value's to a ini? :lol:

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”