DVB-T + BDA + VLC

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
crocodudule
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: DVB-T + BDA + VLC

Postby crocodudule » 18 Sep 2007 01:57

Hello,

I use vlc 9 (last build 17/09/2007...) on windows xp sp2 (last directX and dvb-t patch), with a dazzle hybrid pro stick (= pinnacle hybrid pro stick) (BDA driver), on two computer:
. On my laptop all is ok (AMD 2ghz, 512Mo ram, and a little via graphic chipset ( VIA/S3G unichrome = directX 7 generation)
. But on my "normal" computer, AMD x2 3800+ (939),2 Go ram, 7900GS. I have a lot of freeze (pixel and sound) ( * ). Only one solution, play a video with windows media player in the same time. After that all is ok, i can see chanel, and record it.

exemple of command line (same problem) :
vlc.exe dvbt:// :dvb-frequency=730000 :dvb-bandwidth=8 :program=1537
or
vlc.exe dvbt:// :dvb-frequency=730000 :dvb-bandwidth=8 :program=1537 :sout=#duplicate{dst=display} :sout-display-delay=1024 (and more)

So i don't understand, why it's ok on my little laptop, and why i have a problem on my normal computer?
If you have a solution... thank's

( * ) it's ok with pinnacle soft.
And all is ok wtih analogic chanel (vlc 0.8,vlc 0.9, meuhmeuhtv, and pinnacle soft)

(sorry for my bad english)

log without windows media player
http://association.deasc.site.voila.fr/exemple1.log
http://association.deasc.site.voila.fr/probleme.jpg
log with windows media player
http://association.deasc.site.voila.fr/exemple2.log
http://association.deasc.site.voila.fr/normal.jpg

ps: i'm not alone, same problem here:
viewtopic.php?p=110207#p110207

KenS
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.9.0

Postby KenS » 18 Sep 2007 13:59

On my laptop all is ok (AMD 2ghz, 512Mo ram, and a little via graphic chipset ( VIA/S3G unichrome = directX 7 generation)
. But on my "normal" computer, AMD x2 3800+ (939),2 Go ram, 7900GS. I have a lot of freeze (pixel and sound) ( * ). Only one solution, play a video with windows media player in the same time. After that all is ok, i can see chanel, and record it.

exemple of command line (same problem) :
vlc.exe dvbt:// :dvb-frequency=730000 :dvb-bandwidth=8 :program=1537
or
vlc.exe dvbt:// :dvb-frequency=730000 :dvb-bandwidth=8 :program=1537 :sout=#duplicate{dst=display} :sout-display-delay=1024 (and more)
Some time back I was able to get caching working. Add to the command line :dvb-caching=500
vlc.exe dvbt:// :dvb-frequency=730000 :dvb-bandwidth=8 :program=1537 :dvb-caching=500
--- Ken

P3 500MHz server 300Gb HDD
Hauppauge Nova-T-500 dual DVB-T
XMLTV GUI 3.06.00W
DVB Webscheduler 4.0.14
VLC 0.9.8a/1.0.0

crocodudule
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby crocodudule » 18 Sep 2007 23:09

Some time back I was able to get caching working. Add to the command line :dvb-caching=500
vlc.exe dvbt:// :dvb-frequency=730000 :dvb-bandwidth=8 :program=1537 :dvb-caching=500
Thank you for your help :D
But it's the same problem.
I don't think that cache is problem, because when i run a directshow process all is allright.
Maybe a problem with vlc and the directshow output, because if i run vlc and a video on windows media player all is ok.
But why on my laptop is ok (no need a direcshow process), but not on my normale computer, a problem with nvidia driver? :(

Freak
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Freak » 26 Nov 2007 09:49

Hi Peoples, Recently i have started to use VLC 0.9 nightly for DVB-T
Thanks KenS for all the hard work on the Windows port of the BDA stuff since i started this thread.
The current nightly I'm using works very well.

Just checking in on a few things:

A)Can i record from VLC to any codec? I'm aware of how to record to a TS file, i'm wondering if i can record to MPEG2, MPEG4 or DVR-MS file.
example command line please: (Any chance for a Record button in the future)

B) Can i have a list of frequencies to use as a channel list? (So i can hit Next/Previous to change channels)

C) Does VLC support Comskip in playback?
I have found some threads from VLC and the developer of Comskip saying he would like to implement support for VLC, but i don't know if VLC will currently read the .txt files it creates?

D) Does VLC support any Analogue input from Composite/Svideo?

E) Can i get any DVB-T EPG via VLC in anyway? ( I notice it gives me the current program name)

PS. KenS have you done any work on a front end for Webscheduler?
Cheers!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 26 Nov 2007 19:04

A) yes, almost any. Yes for the record button
B) don't know
C) No. no support yet.
D) Depends on the OS. On windows, it should support dshow input
E) Yes, limited one.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

antonylord
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby antonylord » 29 Nov 2007 00:13

Here's what I've tried...

* Windows XP SP2
* DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Pro (drivers from 3.63.01 version)
* VLC 0.9 from the nightles on 24/11

Using the command line (entered in the GUI) :

dvbt:// :dvb-frequency=219500000 :dvb-bandwidth=7 :sout=#duplicate{dst=display} :sout-display-delay=1024

Where 219.5MHz with a 7MHz bandwidth should be channel 10 Perth.

It has a big old think and dies with a MS "serious error" message.

What have I missed / should I try / can I report to try and get this working?

Cheers, Antony.

terrypye
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby terrypye » 29 Nov 2007 08:10

* Windows XP SP2
* DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Pro (drivers from 3.63.01 version)
* VLC 0.9 from the nightles on 24/11

Using the command line (entered in the GUI) :

dvbt:// :dvb-frequency=219500000 :dvb-bandwidth=7 :sout=#duplicate{dst=display} :sout-display-delay=1024

Where 219.5MHz with a 7MHz bandwidth should be channel 10 Perth.

It has a big old think and dies with a MS "serious error" message.

What have I missed / should I try / can I report to try and get this working?

Cheers, Antony.
Since around late September for some reason streaming does not work on VLC9 (latest I have where it works is 25/9/2007. try getting rid of the :sout=#duplicate{dst=display} and you should at least see a picture, though you may need to right click and select a program eg channel 10 HD, channel 10 SD etc.

This is my channel 10 display, although the access-filter bit does not really matter, nor should sout-display bit.

"C:/VLC-0.9.0/VLC.exe" dvbt:// :dvb-frequency=219500 :dvb-bandwidth=7 :access-filter=timeshift

For 25/9/2007 version to stream use:

"C:/VLC-0.9.0/VLC.exe" dvbt:// :dvb-frequency=219500 :dvb-bandwidth=7 :access-filter=timeshift :sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=:8080}}

You can add dst=display, before the dst=std bit to also preview, Then use navigate command (not in later versions of VLC 9) to select programs, rather tha right click select program.

Stream to http works ok, but do not try and transcode, it does not work.

To any of the guru's out there, is there any reason streaming does not work, I just get errors in message screen with no stream output.

main info: creating httpd
main error: polling error: Non-socket handle specified

etc non stop
looks like an IP issue

Regards

Terry

tre31
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tre31 » 27 Apr 2008 15:31

etc non stop
looks like an IP issue

Regards

Terry
As far I could figure out ages ago (I haven't tested any recent builds) when I was streaming dvb using vlc you must specify an IP for http - why because it must know the destination, it is only when you are using udp broadcasting that you don't have too specify a destination - hence your error as it can't figure out what too do with the http packet - it must go somewhere.
----------------------
my sample batch files for various tasks (hope they help someone out there):
----------------------
transcoded dvb -> mpeg4 -> streamed (requires beefy machine)
vlc dvb-t:// :dvb-frequency=177500 :dvb-bandwidth=7 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=2048,scale=1,acodec=a52,ab=192,channels=2}:sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=192.168.2.210:1235}} --verbose=2

dvb playback using X-mode deinterlacing
vlc dvb-t:// :dvb-frequency=177500 :dvb-bandwidth=7 :sout=#duplicate{dst=display} :sout-display--deinterlace-mode=X --vout-filter deinterlace --verbose=2

point too point udp streaming (I couldn't get udp broadcast streaming too work, possibly a network problem) (also mpeg4 transcoding)
vlc dvb-t:// :dvb-frequency=177500 :dvb-bandwidth=7 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=2048,scale=1,acodec=a52,ab=192,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=192.168.2.210:1235}} --verbose=2

Anyway hope they help with the correct syntax use (someone put this in the gui and do us all a favour).

terrypye
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby terrypye » 28 Apr 2008 06:25

etc non stop
looks like an IP issue

Regards

Terry
As far I could figure out ages ago (I haven't tested any recent builds) when I was streaming dvb using vlc you must specify an IP for http - why because it must know the destination, it is only when you are using udp broadcasting that you don't have too specify a destination - hence your error as it can't figure out what too do with the http packet - it must go somewhere.
----------------------
----------------------
vlc dvb-t:// :dvb-frequency=177500 :dvb-bandwidth=7 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=2048,scale=1,acodec=a52,ab=192,channels=2}:sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=192.168.2.210:1235}} --verbose=2

vlc dvb-t:// :dvb-frequency=177500 :dvb-bandwidth=7 :sout=#duplicate{dst=display} :sout-display--deinterlace-mode=X --vout-filter deinterlace --verbose=2

point too point udp streaming (I couldn't get udp broadcast streaming too work, possibly a network problem) (also mpeg4 transcoding)
vlc dvb-t:// :dvb-frequency=177500 :dvb-bandwidth=7 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=2048,scale=1,acodec=a52,ab=192,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=192.168.2.210:1235}} --verbose=2

Anyway hope they help with the correct syntax use (someone put this in the gui and do us all a favour).

Current version of VLC works ok as per my previous command lines in Sept 2007 and even now works with scale=other than 1.0, which has been a problem for a while. Quite happy now to stream in Microsoft MMS format for use with Tversity to stream to DLINK DSM 320. Must have directshow codecs readable by Graphedit for Tversity to accept and onstream hence the reasom for mmsh and asfh with DIV3 (or WMV1 or 2, can use WMV3 but very heavy on cpu for some reason) and wma (or wma2) codecs.

Below is simple file stream command line for a previously captured ts stream however any file format would do e.g. fred.mp4.
"C:/VLC-0.9.0/VLC.exe" "d:\record\spamalot-HD.ts" :sout=#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=2048,scale=.5,acodec=wma,ab=192,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=mmsh,mux=asfh,url=:8080}}

Below is simple stream DVB-T channel in this case Australian Perth Channel 7 HD

"C:/VLC-0.9.0/VLC.exe" dvbt:// :dvb-frequency=177500 :dvb-bandwidth=7 :access-filter=timeshift: Programs=1380 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=2048,scale=1,acodec=wma,ab=80,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=mmsh,mux=asfh,dst=:8080},program=1380}

The nightly I am using is the 27th April 2008 so it looks like whatever bugs crept in have now crept out again.

tre31
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tre31 » 28 Apr 2008 08:36

Current version of VLC works ok as per my previous command lines in Sept 2007 and even now works with scale=other than 1.0, which has been a problem for a while. Quite happy now to stream in Microsoft MMS format for use with Tversity to stream to DLINK DSM 320. Must have directshow codecs readable by Graphedit for Tversity to accept and onstream hence the reasom for mmsh and asfh with DIV3 (or WMV1 or 2, can use WMV3 but very heavy on cpu for some reason) and wma (or wma2) codecs.

Below is simple file stream command line for a previously captured ts stream however any file format would do e.g. fred.mp4.
"C:/VLC-0.9.0/VLC.exe" "d:\record\spamalot-HD.ts" :sout=#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=2048,scale=.5,acodec=wma,ab=192,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=mmsh,mux=asfh,url=:8080}}

"C:/VLC-0.9.0/VLC.exe" dvbt:// :dvb-frequency=177500 :dvb-bandwidth=7 :access-filter=timeshift: Programs=1380 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=2048,scale=1,acodec=wma,ab=80,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=mmsh,mux=asfh,dst=:8080},program=1380}

The nightly I am using is the 27th April 2008 so it looks like whatever bugs crept in have now crept out again.
Are you streaming too localhost or on a network, because those commands do not even open a listening port, so there can be no server too client action. I tried nightly 27/04/08 also, exactly the same result. Another thing for one stream command you have url=:8080 and for the other you have dst=:8080 - which is it?, only one should work - and neither do as far as I can tell. The only way I even saw one listening port was too manually make my own command via the gui (and have the destination as the local network IP of the server, and even then I still got nothing on the client).

terrypye
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby terrypye » 28 Apr 2008 12:27

Are you streaming too localhost or on a network, because those commands do not even open a listening port, so there can be no server too client action. I tried nightly 27/04/08 also, exactly the same result. Another thing for one stream command you have url=:8080 and for the other you have dst=:8080 - which is it?, only one should work - and neither do as far as I can tell. The only way I even saw one listening port was too manually make my own command via the gui (and have the destination as the local network IP of the server, and even then I still got nothing on the client).
I am streaming to my LAN (192.168.0.0 range 255.255.255.0 mask, not that it matters that much what it is for asfh over mmsh). If works fine whether or not I put in a URL before the port and defaults to my LAN, where I can pick up the stream happily by any system on my network (around 3-4 PC's at any one point in time. I believe VLC uses all subnets attached to when URL is not specified. Technically URL= should be used for streaming to LAN etc and DST= for writing to file. Does not much matter which one is used. I should add I use a Compro Videomate DVB-T 300 PCI card (and also the Compro U300 USB stick) which both have WDM compatible drivers (version 1.3.7.0 for the PCI card as selected by XP Pro automatically, also 1.3.5.7 drivers work if I put them in manually and 3.3.1.0 for the USB stick. Also works fine with XP Pro SP2 and Vista SP1. Perhaps your WDM drivers for your capture card are a bit dodgy or else you have a different system problem. My system has recently been rebuilt so it is clean.

regards

Terry

tre31
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tre31 » 06 May 2008 06:53

I am streaming to my LAN (192.168.0.0 range 255.255.255.0 mask, not that it matters that much what it is for asfh over mmsh). If works fine whether or not I put in a URL before the port and defaults to my LAN, where I can pick up the stream happily by any system on my network (around 3-4 PC's at any one point in time. I believe VLC uses all subnets attached to when URL is not specified. Technically URL= should be used for streaming to LAN etc and DST= for writing to file. Does not much matter which one is used. I should add I use a Compro Videomate DVB-T 300 PCI card (and also the Compro U300 USB stick) which both have WDM compatible drivers (version 1.3.7.0 for the PCI card as selected by XP Pro automatically, also 1.3.5.7 drivers work if I put them in manually and 3.3.1.0 for the USB stick. Also works fine with XP Pro SP2 and Vista SP1. Perhaps your WDM drivers for your capture card are a bit dodgy or else you have a different system problem. My system has recently been rebuilt so it is clean.

regards

Terry
No drivers are not the problem (I use BDA drivers not WDM, WDM is the old style of driver model used for analog tv devices).

I can stream too LAN using some of the commands that I previously stated, but transcoding and streaming seems too be the problem, not sure what it is really as the older versions can stream fine. I did notice however that when I used mux=ts streaming worked for mpeg-4 but asfh muxes did not. I'll have too do some more testing too figure it all out, not entirely sure the gui has been rigorously tested as it seems that the bda drivers don't even load sometimes via the gui when trying too stream (but work via commandline?).

My suggestion too the VLC developers is thus - provide full examples of the correct syntax for the most common types of tasks presented here so we do things right, then the testing process will be alot easier and we can determine if we are actually encountering bugs, rather than having us just shooting in the dark and finding errors and not following a precise testing pattern.

terrypye
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby terrypye » 06 May 2008 10:05

No drivers are not the problem (I use BDA drivers not WDM, WDM is the old style of driver model used for analog tv devices).

I can stream too LAN using some of the commands that I previously stated, but transcoding and streaming seems too be the problem, not sure what it is really as the older versions can stream fine. I did notice however that when I used mux=ts streaming worked for mpeg-4 but asfh muxes did not. I'll have too do some more testing too figure it all out, not entirely sure the gui has been rigorously tested as it seems that the bda drivers don't even load sometimes via the gui when trying too stream (but work via commandline?).

My suggestion too the VLC developers is thus - provide full examples of the correct syntax for the most common types of tasks presented here so we do things right, then the testing process will be alot easier and we can determine if we are actually encountering bugs, rather than having us just shooting in the dark and finding errors and not following a precise testing pattern.[/quote]

You are quite correct re BDA drivers for VLC 9, mine is a hybrid card with both analog and Digital and uses BDA and WDM drivers

regards

Terry

yogurt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yogurt » 06 May 2008 15:03

Hi, time ago I submitted an issue, and a request to anybody who uses BDA.
I'm tracking a bug (a memory leak) I found in BDA plugin, but I'm not sure whether this strange behaviour is just on my machine \ Windows installation and such.

Can you please look at this?
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=45540#p143908

:D Thanks!
Yogurt

popper
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby popper » 17 Oct 2008 21:35

etc non stop
looks like an IP issue

Regards

Terry
----------------------
----------------------

its been a long time since anyone posted in this most useful thread, so i thought id ping it...

by "I couldn't get udp broadcast streaming too work" i assume you mean Multicast your chosen video file to stream to all the LAN devices on the subnet? and set a simple SAP announce: to let all the devices tune into the stream(s) if you cant remember the exact Muticast URL you entered ;) i forget them all the time LOL.

if so, rather than unicast udp to dst=192.168.2.210:1235 try using a Mutlicast address such as 224.0.0.1:7777 as per works for java JTVLAN before Webscheduler commercial updates broke it and so JTVLAN development stopped.....shame.

after re-reading the whole thread again, it seems we need a new howto in this DVB-T use to clarify some basic things, such as HOW DO I find my right frequency= for my local DVB-T tower, in my case its the north west UK winterhill transmitter but a generictext list or at least a direct url to the worlds tranmitter information if such a thing exists would be a very good thing for VLC use? somethng that we can all simply pick from of known working freq for the good working generic tv channel for your transmitter , and a FULL VLC command line you can simply cut and past into the shell/cli for total newbs with their working BDA driven windows cards just waiting to be tryed for the first time.

as i understand it, Linux VLC can take a DVB-T tuning file i forget the name they use but that files generated generated with some 3rd party linux tool ,do we have that available as a binary and working for windows too?, and if so how do we use it to make this assumed working windows VLC DVB-T freq file to automate our tuning , come to that, why isnt an auto tuning bit of code been ported to VLC nightly to help us in this most basic tunning need, rather than the current manual finding of the data freq and manual entry we need to do right now?

Webscheduler tunes the transmitters from all around the world fine as far as i can tell, couldnt that older open codebase or something else thats open and known to work today be ported into VLC nightly to make its windows OS DB-T tuning MUCH EASYER for non programmers to use!

regarding DVB-T + latest VLC xp nightly and tversity ,how do i multicast stream to the tversity server so as to have the xbox360 pick it up, iv only just got the 360 arcade so dont know the full spec of wrappers it can take, i assume AVC/AAC inside a TS ,Mpeg? or wmv container will work as the feed to tversity, but how do i get the tversity server to see the VLC stream.

tversity is new to me ,and MKV AVC/AAC 720P files doesnt seem to transcode in tversity so i assume VLC cna do it OK for 360 arcade use?, im a long time PC builder so shouldnt take to long to get to grips with with it ;) with some prompting from you lot :)

something like this for streaming a file
:sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=224.0.0.1:1234,sap,group="ts-test"}} :sout-all
but for DVB-T as the feed i assume?

todorkolev
New Cone
New Cone

Postby todorkolev » 07 May 2009 00:57

Hi
I'm trying to capture some piece of video from two ss2 cards, ss2 and ss2 hd
with no luck as yet. I posted in the Features section, but they directed me to this post...
Is there any difference between capturing dvb-s and dvb-t streams?
Has someone managed to get anything with an ss2 card using vlc under windows ?
Does it work at all?
Does it only work with BDA drivers?
I'd appreciate some help.
Thank you

terrypye
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby terrypye » 07 May 2009 03:10

Never tried dvb-s only dvb-t, but yes but you must have BDA drivers to work.

Below is command file for BDA driver using ABC HD in Australia. You need scale=0.5 on my Pentium D 950 dual 3.4 ghz cpu since VLC is single stream and does not have the grunt for HD without stutter above this size. If you have a newer faster cpu you may get higher.

"C:/vlc-0.9.9/VLC.exe" dvbt:// :dvb-frequency=226500 :dvb-bandwidth=7 :programs=736 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=WMV2,vb=3072,scale=0.5,acodec=wma,ab=80,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=mmsh,mux=asfh,dst=Terry:1234},select=program=736}

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”